Carbon fiber ukulele

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Innovative design from Blackbird Guitars. Using carbon fiber they have come up with an all weather ukulele that sounds good. Just spoke with the owner Joe Luttwak on the phone as he prepares to premier this new uke at NAMM . Lots of low end and mid range coming from this lite but sturdy instrument. Other sizes may follow but the tenor as seen on the Blackbird site will be the first. Looks like March will be the release time for it.
Awesome!
http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/pressreleases/blackbird_ukulele.html

Perhaps they can offer an endorsement deal to, say, a United Methodist pastor who has a successful ukulele ministry. :drool:

Price? Likely competitive with a K brand...

I did it! I must be in a crazy mood tonight, and you caught me. Here's what I sent:

Dear Joe, I am a United Methodist pastor who has begun a successful ukulele ministry in the local churches I serve. I am completely thrilled to see a carbon-fiber uke because I believe the use of alternative materials for musical instruments is responsible stewardship of the earth and her resources, which I see as a profound ethical and theological issue. I also have several ukulele videos available on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/williedeuel), and am hoping to record an "album" for the 2010 RPM Challenge. I would love to help you promote your fabulous tenor ukulele by recording music and posting YouTube videos as well as performing with it in public, just on the off chance you would be willing to donate one to my ministry. It will not break my heart if you can't or choose not to. Just thought there was no harm in asking.

Let's see what happens!

Good luck!

Relevant_to_interests_hedgehog.jpg

As the owner of a Rainsong acoustic guitar, I've been hoping for a carbon-fiber production ukulele for a while. This one's an interesting body style, too! Dig the hollow neck.

Hope it works out for you, Will! :D

Damn, the poor guy hasn't even made a penny from the uke and you're asking for a hand-out.

I'm a pastor. I have experience in asking for donations, though not usually for myself. ;)

I see your point, Deach. I'm not asking him to just send me one; I'm asking him to consider whether doing so would be a good business decision on his part. He's free to say no, and I'm more than happy to accept no as an answer. And even if he says no, I'm probably going to save my money and buy one because I think it's a great design.

I am also a Rainsong owner, and I love that guitar. Carbon fiber sound is just so unique. However, I'm not really a big fan of the blackbird designs. I thought their Ferrari edition was cool...mainly b/c it had a Ferrari emblem on it, but without a marketing gimmick like that, their shape is a bit too untraditional for me. If it had a regular ukulele shape body and soundhole in the middle, I'd love it though. I am also curious to see whether the soundhole in the headstock actually helps the sound.

Cool. This thing just might cause an UAS itch to materialize...

I have a few CA guitars and the Dread is fantastic. I am going to sell the two Cargos I have, when I get around to it.

Would love to hear the Carbon Uke!

I'm waiting for a carbon fiber top FLEA or FLUKE

:agree:
Hmmmm! I like your thinking Ahnko, oh did you catch the new Tenor pineapple from Ko'olau?! I know you are drooling about now!!

Sorry everyone it may be just me but I think there's something a bit wrong with a carbon uke. I think the msp of a uke is the beautiful wood craftmanship involved. Sorry there's my two penneth

You can leave it in the car on a hot day, but make sure you let it cool off before playing. Think about it. You could actually burn yourself on one of these without affecting intonation... lol

Top Bottom