Got myself a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday that is perfect thanks to Ronnie Aloha!

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I cannot thank Ronnie Aloha enough. If I could write a poem, I would put an ode to him here. If I could sing, or play well enough, or had recording capabilities, there would be a youtube tribute to him from me already. Ronnie (one of our UU members in grand standing) saw my recent post about how I had a bought a Pineapple Sunday ukulele by KoAloha but I was not 100% happy with it. Bear in mind there was nothing wrong with this beautiful ukulele - it was well crafted, sounded great and everything else but it just wasn't "my" Pineapple Sunday. After a lot of advice on this board (including from Paul at KoAloha) I returned it.

And I thought it would be a long wait until I could find a Pineapple Sunday for me. But then my knight in shining armor PM'd me. Ronnie was the proud owner of not one, but two, Pineapple Sundays and he offered to sell me his older one.

After a couple of days, I am proud to say that I handed him his check today and now I am the proud of owner of a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday that feels as though it was made for me. If I could run in a field of daisies, and jump into its arms I would. I am madly in love with it. (The good news is that she isn't the jealous type and understands my need for my prior long term relationships with my Kamaka and Kanile'a tenors -- I have to admit though, they seem to be pouting over the new blonde beauty in the house).

The koa is a golden blonde, and the fret markers are beautiful turquoise. The wood has a charming cocoa swirl down the fretboard, and when you play it, it sounds like angels singing. The tone is very bright, and sweet, and sounds very Hawaiian "ukey" - but maybe that is just my ears after I have been playing tenors exclusively. It is so very loud that it drowns out both of my other ones (I can only imagine how loud that Sceptre can get).

It was a perfect scenario, as Ron had been enjoying his other, new Pineapple Sunday and this beautiful blonde girl had been languishing away -- just waiting for me! In the Hawaiian spirit of hanai (adoption), I feel as good as I did when I got my kitty from the shelter -- she has a new home where she will be treasured beyond belief.

I named her "Meli" -- the Hawaiian word for honey, due to her golden blonde honey color and the sweet tone of her voice.

I know I had been an exclusive Kanile'a girl and swore I would never get a Kamaka. Then I got my Kamaka and played it exclusively, and I had always respected KoAloha but swore I would never get one. Now that I have my KoAloha (and my K trinity is complete) I swear I will never get another ukulele. Okay, maybe I should stop swearing at this point.

I am proud to join the KoAloha Crowns with my new baby.

And now for the bad news, because I had to borrow the money to buy her from my spouse, she is going to be held hostage from me until I pay the money back. Ronnie, in his infinite kindness, offered to be her bail bondsman and spring her from the prison of our friend's house by letting me pay him when I had the money. (He is a true gentleman and the offer almost made me cry). But I couldn't put him on the line like that so, alas, as soon as her new Ameritage case arrives on Friday from the UPS man, she gets locked away. Never has anyone who suffers from UAS wanted the UPS man to get lost on the way to their house, but trust me, I do. I get two reprieves: I can take her to my ukulele class for the next session, and I can take her to Hawaii in April to revisit her home, the KoAloha factory. Until then, no more bought lunches for me, my celebrity trash magazines will have to wait, and I'm rationing gas. I have to get her back. After all, I'm in love.

Though most of you probably saw the pictures when Ronnie posted them, here are a few I took before she gets sent away. :(

sidekoalohaPS.jpg

koalohacloseupPS.jpg

trioofukesww11.jpg

Glad you found "the one"! :D Love the fretboard on it, too! Enjoy the heck out of your Pineapple Sunday. It's a completely different animal than either your Kamaka or Kanile'a.

Hooray for you Oh Wicked One.

Jack

Congratulations... looks beautiful.

My journey appears to be on the same path.. have a Kanile'a, just got a Kamaka. Can a Koaloha be far behind? :)

WW, I can not tell you how jealous I am! I want a Pineapple Sunday so bad (a debossed one), but alas, I must wait until tax refund time... then pray I have good fortunes to find one.

Just curious, what is different about this one?

Congrats! I am happy for you! :)

Congrats! I had no idea that Ronnie Aloha had 2 of them. That's crazy. I like the simple bridge better in the one you're getting. Enjoy it!

Just curious, what is different about this one?

Congrats! I am happy for you! :)

To be honest, it still has the etched design and plain bridge, but I like the color a lot more. They both sounded good, but the pumpkin color of the old one didn't appeal to me as much as the gold koa on this one. Plus, like experimentjon notes, the bridge in this one is a little more appealing. And that two tone on the other one bugged me...

And also, I had to accept the fact that I would never be able to get the pointy bridge or hand carved top unless I found someone willing to sell theirs -- and as George (GX9901) and Ronnie and others will probably never give those up, I had to settle for the newer style. But it wasn't until I wrote to both MGM and KoAloha and got confirmation that I was never going to get the old style. So I've made peace with it and I'm now happy with my purchase. :)

So what is most different? Probably my state of mind! :)

Very cool! Now you've got the 3 K's, I predict that you'll be playing your first custom built ukulele this time next year!:cool:

Meanwhile, enjoy the Pineapple Sunday!:D

Wow, that was sooner, rather than later. Thank you again for the support and I'm glad that you were able to find "the one."

One thing I love about this board is reading the great support we(all the builders) have from the people who are playing our instruments. Any ukulele that is played means more support for the ever growing community. Ukulele started as a Portuguese thing, became a Hawaiian thing, and now it's steadily gaining popularity around the world. Mahalo.

man, I'm so happy for you. And what a awesome move by Ronnie...class act. I see you went with the newer bridge? Probably a better idea. I hope it sings like the heavens for you :)

I know I had been an exclusive Kanile'a girl and swore I would never get a Kamaka. Then I got my Kamaka and played it exclusively, and I had always respected KoAloha but swore I would never get one. Now that I have my KoAloha (and my K trinity is complete) I swear I will never get another ukulele. Okay, maybe I should stop swearing at this point.
Thanks so much for sharing this topic.

Congrats! it's Hot. Everyone always likes a happy ending.

Top Bottom