ukulele humidifier

Big Bob

Reaction score
I have a solid Koa wood tenor and I live in eastern Canada which means cold winters and dry air .On the other hand we have humid summers because I live on the coast. Any suggestions for humidifying my uke?? Mahalo

I have already placed a home made humidifier in my uke case,but what I am looking for is something more reliable .Is there something available that would control the amount of humidity?

I don't know of any automatied humidifiers. But I do know you can buy a humidity gauge (hygrometer) like this one:

http://www.funhouse88.com/servlet/Detail?no=11

It is recommended to keep the humidity between 45-50%... But... I'd check what humidity is proper to keep your particular wood at. (not sure if say, Koa is different...)

Hey folks thanks for the info.I have done a lot of research 0n line and I have come to the conclusion that the best bet is to check with the local music store and see what they recommend for the local area.

Here is an update. I got a Planet Waves humidity & temperature sensor for my uke case.And I put 2 film canisters with a wet sponge inside with holes on the lids.So far it is maintaining 45 to 46% humidity. I keep the case stationary.We will monitor this method and add humidity as needed.I may have to add during winter.Time will tell.

The Humistat humidifiers from the above link at FMM are developing a reputation for leaking. Stick with the green floral foam (PlanetWave type) or Herco (clay type). I use the Humistat hygrometers (less direct from manufacture). Easy to calibrate with a std small head screwdrivers, relatively accurate and no battery required.

I just bought a Herco humidifier from our local Richmond Ukelele shop. It's inexpensive (about $4) and should work fine. Soak it in water for 5 minutes twice a month.

1326-300.jpg

It 's great to see more imput to this thread.So far I am doing ok with humidity control.It's going to be later on in the winter months when we have to turn on the heat .Although the way the price for oil is going up we may have to closeup the house and move to warmer climat for the winter months.Thank you all for the info.

The article in PDF entitled "Humidity and Your Ukulele" can be downloaded here and is worth reading if you're concerned about humidity and it's effects on your ukulele.

Top Bottom