PDA

View Full Version : Pineapples: Is Kamaka the Gold Standard?

pdxuke
01-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Pineapple lovers:

Is the Kamaka KP1 the Gold Standard in Pineapples? Is it the mountain top?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:kWTCPVCarQWvxM%3Ahttp://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/k-gakki/natural/img/kamaka/hp1.jpg

wickedwahine11
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Well, it is the first. So you can't ignore the power of tradition and history. But I'm a fan of the Pineapple Sunday by KoAloha myself. ;)

GreyPoupon
01-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I have been wondering the same myself. Many people (see above) rave about the Sunday, but for me it too flashy looking.

Someone whose opinion I respect - who owns both the Kamaka and KoAloha standard pineapple -reports that the KoAloha is louder and richer sounding.

I was a dash saddened to hear this as I really like the traditional and conservative look of the Kamaka pineapple.

Would love to hear more perspectives on people's prize pineapples ...

pdxuke
01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I have been wondering the same myself. Many people (see above) rave about the Sunday, but for me it too flashy looking.

That's exactly my feeling. It's not to my taste. No disrespect, just a personal preference. I like the more traditional look...

MGM
01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I always thought Dole had the best Pineapples. Visitied their factory one day and had the sweetest pineapple you ever tatsed..

pithaya9
01-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I like the Maui Gold, but they are ceasing operations I here.

Pineapple Sunday for me. They are beautiful but not really flashy IMO.

Lanark
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Pineapple Sunday for me. They are beautiful but not really flashy IMO.

I wouldn't have thought that they were to my taste until I saw one in person. They come across a lot less "flashy" in real life. And sound really nice.

ke leo
01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Kamaka all the way!

GX9901
01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
The Pineapple Sunday was the only pineapple shaped ukulele that I was compelled to purchase. I love bling and it delivers. Plus it actually resembles a pineapple.:D To me the traditional pineapple ukulele looks more like a boat paddle. But I still secretly desire a Kamaka pineapple ukulele just because Kamaka invented it.:drool:

pdxuke
01-12-2010, 07:22 PM
I always thought Dole had the best Pineapples. Visitied their factory one day and had the sweetest pineapple you ever tatsed..

That's it, Mike! I'll buy a Dole! Can you adjust the action for me and set it up?

experimentjon
01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
If I were to buy a traditional shaped pineapple, it would probably be the Kamaka, because it is historically, THE pineapple. But if I had to choose just one pineapple shaped uke, it would easily be the Pineapple Sunday. They aren't really that flashy in person, especially with the traditional bridge. I find them elegant. The Scpetre, however, IS indeed quite flashy, Jukebox as well, but those are whole different stories.

And Dole pineapples are awesome.

Michael_
01-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I never played a Kamaka Pineapple, but compared to a Kamaka standard I prefer the sound of my Koaloha pineapple soprano. I would love to own a PS, but only if there was a soprano version :)

Sic_Rob
01-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Well, it is the first. So you can't ignore the power of tradition and history. But I'm a fan of the Pineapple Sunday by KoAloha myself. ;)

What a shock!

haole
01-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Yeah, the Kamaka is probably the gold standard for pineapple ukes. It's a piece of history! I'd love to have an old, hand-painted one. The body shape looks just right to me.

As far as modern pineapples go, I absolutely love the Pineapple Sunday, but it's a pretty big departure from the old Kamaka.

Honu
01-13-2010, 06:07 AM
I do not own a Pineapple Sunday, but I do own the regular KoAloha Soprano Pineapple Uke. I actually had an opportunity to try out a Kamaka and the KoAloha and decided on the KoAloha (Even though the thought if owning a Kamaka really called to me). I just felt that the KoAloha was brighter and louder, which was what I was looking for.

wearymicrobe
01-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Yeah, the Kamaka is probably the gold standard for pineapple ukes. It's a piece of history! I'd love to have an old, hand-painted one. The body shape looks just right to me.

It may be the gold standard but there are better. I would say that the newer Ko'olau ones that I have played have been consistently better.

deach
01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
It may be the gold standard but there are better. I would say that the newer Ko'olau ones that I have played have been consistently better.

qft - is that how the cool kidz do it these days?

Just because it was the first doesn't mean much to me. I don't want a Model T Ford. Just saying....

Ahnko Honu
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM
I LOVE my Kamaka but I wouldn't say it's the best sounding pineapple I have. Sound is subjective and open to acoustic "tastes". I have a sentimental connection to the Kamaka pineapple but in all reality I think I prefer the sound of my Koa R&L with it's slightly larger body somewhere in between a soprano and a concert but with a concert neck. My Mainland Cedar top sings beautifully too as well as my Milo S&J. A collector of pineapples IMHO should own a Kamaka but if you have to own just one great sounding pineapple there are many options nowadays. I will own a KoAloha pineapple one day and maybe a Ko'olau (Publisher's Clearing House please come thru). Tried to talk Joe Souza into making a pineapple. A Kanile'a pineapple would be awesome no doubt. Now if you bought a Kamaka pineapple as your first I can't imagine any regrets.

Pippin
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM

Now, those formerly Dole-grown pineapples are only sold in the Islands.

:(

Ahnko Honu
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
My favorite Dole Pineapple ever since I was a kid was this one:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/ModernMechanix/1-1937/lrg_pineapple_water_tank.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NpINLHeo8rM/RyhhsjGxXiI/AAAAAAAAJDg/MF-V3gpqauQ/s400/20.jpeg

haole
01-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Our society often refers to gold standards as the "Cadillac of [insert product here]", even though there are certainly better cars than Cadillacs. I never said that the Kamaka was the best overall pineapple uke, but it IS by far the most recognizable and most imitated. The Ko'olau might be better, and I'm sure that many independent luthiers can build pineapples that blow away the Kamaka and Ko'olau together, but the Kamaka made THE first pineapple ukulele. As a result, anyone who builds a pineapple-shaped instrument is setting themselves up for a Kamaka comparison. Wouldn't that make it the gold standard?