what to buy? please and thank you!

gmak

Reaction score
hi all,
i'm new to UU, as well as to the ukulele. i actually learned the ukulele in grade school but failed to pick it up again as i got older.
i currently have a 1972 kamaka soprano ukulele. just had it repaired and it sounds ok, but looking into buying a new acoustic/electric ukulele.

the one thing i noticed is that my hands are a bit big for the soprano, and some chords are a bit tough to get around to. essentially, what i'm asking is what size ukulele i should buy.

i'm wavering between a concert and tenor. however, due to my limited skill level, i'm not sure which one to get. any suggestions would be super helpful!! also, which brands would you suggest? my budget is around $200 to $250. i won't be playing in any concerts or anything, but i would like a good, reasonably priced ukulele with good sound, and the capacity to plug into an amp.

thanks a lot!!! mahalo!

Hi gmak. Welcome to the Forum. Fist off, which size? I prefer Concert, but that is my prefernce. To best find out what size you prefer it would be great if there was a shop you could go to and play some different sized ukes to see what feel comfortable to you. This way you will be happy with your size selection because you made it and not going on people like me's prefernce.

What uke to get? There are several brand in your price range. Kala, Lanikai, Ohana and Mainland come to mind. (There are others though) I personally have only played a Kala out of that group. They make fine instruments for the price. You might want to check out MGM on ebay. He has an awsome selection with great customer service. You could give him a call too if you want some advice on a specific uke.

For that price range you may also want to talk to Mike at Mainland. If you like check out this site. Also, if you want some oppinions of Mainland Ukulele's go to Advance search and search MAINLAND. That will keep you busy for some time. Good luck.

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

Dude, go to Mike at Mainland. I was on here about a week and decided Mainland was the one for me. Got a concert, delivered 10/02/09, Christmas came and got a tenor. Sold my mandolin to get $$$ to buy a K brand, but just can't bring myself to buy something that I don't think I would like better or as much as my Mainlands.

Top Bottom