Here's a weird one: the Ove Glove for side bending on a hot pipe?

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Having followed Dave G's videos religiously, I went out and got me some welder's gloves to aid me. They were something like $5 at Harbor Freight. They are fairly bulky, though, and I've noticed these Ove Gloves at amazon.com. They are supposed to be good up to 500 degrees, and I was wondering if anyone else here is using them. I'm thinking about picking up a pair.

Having followed Dave G's videos religiously, I went out and got me some welder's gloves to aid me. They were something like $5 at Harbor Freight. They are fairly bulky, though, and I've noticed these Ove Gloves at amazon.com. They are supposed to be good up to 500 degrees, and I was wondering if anyone else here is using them. I'm thinking about picking up a pair.
I use an ove glove at home - if you could be working with a significant amount of steam or moisture, they won't protect from that - they're just knit Nomex, basically. They will protect fairly well against dry heat (you won't burn yourself on your bending iron if you're using these).

Just had to bring this up
"Customers buy this item with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Widescreen Edition)"
why would you buy a glove and harry potter at the same time!?

Anyone that has worked in a commercial kitchen will tell you not to pick up a hot pan with a damp towel because the moisture will act as a conduit and you will still burn yourself. The same will happen with the gloves, so don't get them wet. I saw the Ove Glove advertised at CVS pharmacy two weeks ago for $9.99. I've set up my bender in a manner that I don't have to use gloves, but I do wear leather work gloves on occasion when I have to fiddle with it while I'm bending.

How about tig welding gloves? im sure they have a different name but there thiner to you get more control with the torch and from experience i can say they hold up heat pretty well although heat wise there nothing compared to proper welding gloves.

A follow up on the ove glove: prompted by a recently torched oven hot mitt (set it on a hot burner), I went ahead and bought a single ove glove, and they are much more bulky than the welder gloves. Plus, as bbycrts pointed out, they won't work where moisture is present, so they're not much help with steam bending. On a related note, I've bent two sets of sides now, and didn't wear any gloves at all. Only burnt myself a half dozen times or more, too, which did little more than make me nostalgic for my days as a short order cook...

Top Bottom