D'Addario or Aquilla's

D'Addario or Aquilla's

• Total voters

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
How are the strings offered on UU? How are they compared to Aquilla's. I need to replace a set of low end strings that came on my Uku and I was going to automatically get Aquilla's but I thoiught if UU is selling a different set, then they might be worth a try.

Personally, and generally, I would use D'addarios before Aquilla. Although different string for different ukes. I know of a pretty well respected ukulele luithers that swears by Aquilla's

Either way they are an upgrade from whatever stock strings came on your uke.

They're completely different. Aquilas are white, textured, and on the heavy side of medium gauge. They have a loud, bright sound. The D'Addarios in the UU store are clear, smooth, and very thick, with a pretty mellow tone.

If you're swapping out the stock strings on your Lanikai or Makala, I'd say that Aquilas are the way to go, hands down! D'Addarios are better for ukes that are naturally loud.

I have purchase some D'Addario pro Arte's from the Uu store and should have them soon to try out on my Tenor Mahogany Mainland. I'll let you know as soon as can try them out.

They're completely different. Aquilas are white, textured, and on the heavy side of medium gauge. They have a loud, bright sound. The D'Addarios in the UU store are clear, smooth, and very thick, with a pretty mellow tone.

If you're swapping out the stock strings on your Lanikai or Makala, I'd say that Aquilas are the way to go, hands down! D'Addarios are better for ukes that are naturally loud.

Yes the D'Adarios in the UU store aren't like the Aquilas but the J65s from D'Adario is very similar in feel, the tone is a bit warmer though. I like both myself... Including the Pro Artes too!

I've used Aquilas and D'Addarios in both the black nylon and Pro Arte. I'd say the Pro Artes like in the UU store are the best strings I've ever used by far. They sound beautiful and have the best playability in both finger picking and chording. I'm sure it differs from uke to uke but on a nice Tenor I'd choose Pro Artes any day of the week. Aquilas only beat them in volume.

I have purchase some D'Addario pro Arte's from the Uu store and should have them soon to try out on my Tenor Mahogany Mainland. I'll let you know as soon as can try them out.

That would be great Mellisa. Thanks

Subjective. Relative and such. Different strings for different players and different strings sound better on different instruments.

Pretty much, folks can give you an idea of what to expect from a string, but you're still going to have to make your own aesthetic call as to whether you like the sound or not. And really since relatively speaking, string are the cheapest thing that have a great impact on what your ukulele sounds like it is well within your interest and most budgets to just go ahead and experiment.

Of the two choices I'd go with d'addario. However I prefer worth strings.

Dump the D'Addario's if you like them and try Savarez Alliance thats my choice very expensive to make from their classical sets though

Sorry, I don't mean to jack the D'Addario/Aquilla thread but I, too, love Savarez Alliance strings.
I would suggest you try different sets to see what you like best. Some swear by Aquillas, some D'Addario, some Worth, etc, etc. There is no best string, just the best string for you.

i actually really like the martin flurocarbons. i have them on my mainland soprano and they sound great

Subjective. Relative and such. Different strings for different players and different strings sound better on different instruments...
Yup. Depends on your tastes, playing style, uke etc etc etc. Try both.

Here we go again. Anyway, at this point, Aquila is up 55%. The easy part about choosing Aquila is there is only one string. The bad part is there is only one string. For D'Addario, if you compare Aquila to D'Addario's "`ukulele" string set, then Aquila. If you compare it to D'Addario's ProArtes, then pretty much D'Addario. I say pretty much because from there, are you choosing the Clear Nylons, Black Nylons, Silver wound basses or the elusive Bronze basses, or even the T2 series composites? And, which tension, on which instrument?

Personally, D'Addario T2 Trebles with J4804 basses. Otherwise, like MGM and Craig, its Savarez Alliance 540 series.

-Aaron

Here we go again. Anyway, at this point, Aquila is up 55%. The easy part about choosing Aquila is there is only one string. The bad part is there is only one string. For D'Addario, if you compare Aquila to D'Addario's "`ukulele" string set, then Aquila. If you compare it to D'Addario's ProArtes, then pretty much D'Addario. I say pretty much because from there, are you choosing the Clear Nylons, Black Nylons, Silver wound basses or the elusive Bronze basses, or even the T2 series composites? And, which tension, on which instrument?

Personally, D'Addario T2 Trebles with J4804 basses. Otherwise, like MGM and Craig, its Savarez Alliance 540 series.

-Aaron
I also wonder how many people have tried both types of strings instead of just voting for the ones they are using.

I also wonder how many people have tried both types of strings instead of just voting for the ones they are using.

Well, I've tried both, but I didn't vote! LOLz.

As I've found, asking for advice on strings is really an exercise in getting suggestions for strings to try. Trying them is the only way to know if they work for your uke.

D'Addarios don't work for my mahogany Kala tenor, Aquilas and Worths do.

On the other hand, on mandolin I play nothing but D'Addario, so I know they make great strings. It's just that their strings and my particular uke didn't combine to give the sound I like.

Top Bottom