Another string question..

Ame

Reaction score
So, I did a search on strings.. after I went and bought the D'addario J71 strings..

Yea, I'm still noob with uke stuff so this I made an oopsies. I have a soprano and after doing a search on "D'addario J71" I found out that they wouldn't work with my soprano. T.T;;

So, I guess I'm stuck with 2 sets of those strings now.. but yea so my question is what would be the equivalent to these strings for a soprano?

I guess the equivalent might be D'addario soprano strings. But if I'm not mistaken they're black. Worth CD's are great strings and are clear so they look like the J71's.

I guess I don't really know why you went for the J71's so I don't know what the equivalent soprano strings would be. But I personally would go for Worth CD's (or Fremont soprano/concert strings if the Worth CD's are not available. They are supposed to be pretty much identical).

I guess the equivalent might be D'addario soprano strings. But if I'm not mistaken they're black. Worth CD's are great strings and are clear so they look like the J71's.

D'addario makes both clear and black soprano strings-- I've got clear ones on my Ovation/Applause. (Never know which one to shorten that to...)

But Worths are my personal favorites, so ignore that fact and go get some Worths.

I guess I don't really know why you went for the J71's so I don't know what the equivalent soprano strings would be. But I personally would go for Worth CD's (or Fremont soprano/concert strings if the Worth CD's are not available. They are supposed to be pretty much identical).

haha yea, I'll say it again, I'm a noob with uke stuff.

I bought them because I heard so many good things about them, but didnt bother to check for what size uke they were for. AND when I bought them at Guitar Center the chick that ordered them for me didn't mention any size and all that..

Being the lameo/ noob that I am, I thought these strings were fine since they were tenor sized, so all I had to do was cut the excess string off, ya know? but apparently that's not the case..

I feel really stupid right now though.. >.>;;

Why won't they work with your uke? Have you tried them yet?

The J71 set is the "Jake Shimabukuro" set, which are actually Pro Arte Classical Guitar strings. I have a couple of sets and they are really thick strings, so I'm thinking it's better if you don't try them on a soprano. I mean, these feel thick even on a tenor, so they are probably not going to work well on a soprano.

i have J71 tenor strings on both of those little ukes that im using for the "brotherhood" project. they'll work. the tension wont be optimal, but they will work.

what you could also do... if you have friends or family that are into ocean fishing, ask them for a few yards of 30, 40, and 50lb test monofilament fishing line... preferably of the same brand (for diameter consistency). use the 30lb for your G and A strings. the 40lb for the E string and the 50lb for the C string.

before i sold my 2 sopranos i put j71's on them. works fine.
there was no problem at all. if you need help, come to the meetup and i will help you haha.

I bought them because I heard so many good things about them, but didnt bother to check for what size uke they were for. AND when I bought them at Guitar Center the chick that ordered them for me didn't mention any size and all that..

You can always blame it on the GC chick (I think they suck gonads for uke stuff anyways). I have Worth CM strings on my soprano (solid mahogany). They sound nice. I tried the J71's on my soprano but I wasn't feeling the high tension (like my bridge was gonna pop off while playin) although it sounded alright.

Top Bottom