The Ukulele by Denis Gilbert?

rpeters

Reaction score
I've been searching for this book for a year now, and it seems they don't publish it anymore. I've heard it was a very good book for beginners.

Does anyone know of a place that sells this book? Amazon is sold out, forever it seems... Ebay doesn't have it either.

Who told you it was a good book? You'll learn more from YoTube than you will from any book and it's free!!!! Only recently I learnt to grain fill using epoxy. Something that would be impossible to describe in a book. And after 15 years using paste filler...

Here's the address from the back page of the book:
Windward Publishing and Press (Hawaii)
665 Ulukahiki St.
Suite 101
Kailua, HI

I don't know if they're still around but it's probably worth the cost of a stamp to find out. Pete's right about being able to learn alot from Youtube videos, but for someone who is just starting out, or maybe just contemplating building a uke, I think a book like this is a great introduction to uke construction. It'll give you a good idea about the materials and tools and jigs you'll need as well as a decent logical sequence of building and assembling a uke. The Youtube videos are great for specific examples of how to accomplish specific parts of construction, and they cover most of the parts, but I think a book is great to give you the big overall picture. I bought Denis Gilbert's book about 5 years ago and have been thinking about it until I was ready to start building a couple months ago. So I'll use the book to steer me until I'm familiar enough with the process that I don't need it anymore, and I'll use the excellent Youtube videos put out my builders like Pete to clarify and compare methods and to learn new ones. Good Luck!
Alan

I was not punting my videos - book learning is old technology. My objection to this stuff is that it is produced by an 'unknown'. I'v never seen a Gilbert uke or know nyone who has one. Better that you by the Hana Lima tome which has more veracity...

We've used this book. Bought it six years ago. Step by step instructions with photos, plus numerous jig plans that are helpful. Well indexed. While books ARE old technology, it is nice to have all of the foregoing ready at hand in the workshop. I'd say it is a good aid to building your first scratch-built uke.

That said, HUZZAH! for the luthier's forum!

I had good success with a combination of the Hana Lima book, William Cumpiano’s guitar book and youtube. Mainly using the hana Lima blueprint and Cumpiano’s book.

The problem with Youtube, is that Pete make everything look way too easy. It is great to see how it’s done and the techniques used.

I own the book and blueprint you can buy from StewMac. I wasn't happy at all with either.

~Stephen

buy the book...It's not old technology!...Just not the peak of the crest!...Have this book, the Hana Lima Ia Manual and Henry Wickman's book(here). Use them all and like the info...That said, a video really helps...but it all depends on how you learn!

I've been searching for this book for a year now, and it seems they don't publish it anymore. I've heard it was a very good book for beginners.

Does anyone know of a place that sells this book? Amazon is sold out, forever it seems... Ebay doesn't have it either.

Sorry. I thought I had it for you but it didn't happen. I haven't given up yet. I like searches like this. It sounds like a good read for someone interested in building a uku. I agree You tube is better but it's easier to take a book to bed and read then a lap top. the book does burn you lap when you rad it.

I love looking through any instrument construction books. I buy, enjoy, and learn from them all. Well, most of them. Also books on woodworking construction, Japanese joinery. Its all cool stuff. I ordered the Kent Evertt book yesterday just for a squizz. I especially like deducting them at the end of the year :)
And Pete is right- Videos are an amazing way to learn things which are unable to be described or shown in text or pics. Most people can 'show' it better then they can write it.

I'm yet to find or even hear a whisper about a good book on Uke construction.

I had my library request a copy through interlibrary loan. It took a while to work through the people ahead of me, but I got it eventually. The librarian just had to be persistant and on top of resubmitting the request. I think the copy I got had a label from Tuckahoe library in the County of Henrico. That is in Virgina.

As to worth, that is up to you. It does cover the entire building process, jigs and measurements and I have not found any glaring errors, but I am still working up to my first build, so take that with a spoon of salt.

I did post a question in this thread on a bracing variation. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...built-a-Tenor-Based-on-the-Denis-Gilbert-Book

In further searching I found a Facebook account for a Uke builder who has used this bracing. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Olomana-Ukulele-Co/121394394551591

I sort of look on books, YouTube and other builders as part of the entire education. sort of like a selfguided apprecticeship.

The one thing I see consistently is the Hana Lima plans and instruction book. The onnly objection (if you could call it that) is that uke seems to be overbuilt. whatever that means. If I sell some more stuff on CL I hope to put the money towards a purchase from them.

There is another book I got through the Library, "Ukulele Design and Construction by D. Henry Wickham". It is geared around a set of plans which did NOT come with book. I think they are a seperate purchase. Again, it gives you other ways things can be done, but I can't speak as to whether it is a "good" book on construction.

You might want to reasearch this forum for "Youthelele" for a simpler building method. I plan to do a variation of that for the few instruments I plan to build.

EDIT: sheesh! I gotta start checking thread dates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom