Zebra-The people have spoken and Ohana listened

Uke Republic

Reaction score
It should be available in mass at the end of February, CONCERT solid Zebra wood. The soprano has gotten a lot of love but many have requested other sizes in this tone wood so the concert will be next. Premiering at NAMM along with the CK-35 with built in p/up.
Looking forward to getting this one in! I love Zebras and Zebra wood!

What does Zebrawood sound most similar to: Mahogany, Koa, Spruce, or Cedar? Bright or Warm?
Also, how is the sustain?

What does Zebrawood sound most similar to: Mahogany, Koa, Spruce, or Cedar? Bright or Warm?

It sounds a lot like rosewood.Sustain is good. Warm tone.
It's not too often we see solid Zebrawood ukuleles. Some luthiers complain that it being such a hard wood it's tough to work.

Zebra-wood does not really sound like any "tone-wood". It is not as bright as spruce, but, it is not too mellow. It is not as warm as cedar, and not as clear and distinct as mahogany. It is nothing like the warm bark of koa. It is similar to cherry, to my ears, not as clear, but similar. It is sweet-sounding and mellow, but not muddy.

I hope that helps.

I wonder if we could talk them into a run of Zebra pineapples. Hmmm...

That should be a sweet looking and sounding addition to their already impressive line. Awesome!

It should be available in mass at the end of February, CONCERT solid Zebra wood. The soprano has gotten a lot of love but many have requested other sizes in this tone wood so the concert will be next. Premiering at NAMM along with the CK-35 with built in p/up.
Looking forward to getting this one in! I love Zebras and Zebra wood!

Binding?

what type of tuners?

david

Zebra-wood does not really sound like any "tone-wood". It is not as bright as spruce, but, it is not too mellow. It is not as warm as cedar, and not as clear and distinct as mahogany. It is nothing like the warm bark of koa. It is similar to cherry, to my ears, not as clear, but similar. It is sweet-sounding and mellow, but not muddy.

I hope that helps.

so it's like he middle ground, ie, if you can't decide among any other then you should go for zebra-wood :)

Top Bottom