Who taught you how to play?

studentaccount1

Reaction score
A few questions for everyone:

Did you take lessons from someone?

Did you have a cool neighbor/relative/classmate/etc?

What is some of the best advice you have received as far as music is concerned?

Did you take lessons from someone? Nope, i basically asked my guitar friends how to strum and then watched videos and found some jack johnson tabs from youtube and watched videos to learn. then i started to get more eager with this passion that i started googling like crazy. and here i am

Did you have a cool neighbor/relative/classmate/etc? there were some classmates that i hung around with at school, but they were so lazy to teach me. i just watched to learn. but they had some what of an influence for me

watch and listen VERY well, talk to all kinds of musicians, and if i possible, try and learn a little bit about other instruments so that it will help me with mine.

My buddy told me how to read chords, from there I watched videos, looked at online lessons, and gave close attention to all sorts of ukulele videos and tips. From there on it's mostly self teach, experiment.

Attachments

• 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 5
  • 215.jpg
    215.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 216.jpg
    216.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 8
  • MT-4-R.jpg
    MT-4-R.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 214.jpg
    214.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
pretty much self taught. took lessons in san jose for a bit, but i got bored of just up, down, up down strumming. since then, youtube, iamhawaii, and the rest of the internet has been my teacher

to me, too.
self taught and internet.
sometimes i wish a had a teacher for the musictheory but otherwise i think it's better no to complicate to much...

Did you take lessons from someone?
first instrument i took up was the piano. pretty much self taught so i can read notes, but i cant spot read. then i picked up the guitar while in the philippines. and just a few months ago, the uke. my background in the keys has help immensely in my guitar and uke playing.

Did you have a cool neighbor/relative/classmate/etc?
ive had a few neighbors that came and went that had some influence in my musical history.

best advice ive ever gotten was from my little brother. "stop banging on the strings", he said.

best advice ive ever gotten was from my little brother. "stop banging on the strings", he said.

My older sister gave me similar advice when I was starting.:D

Attachments

• P5300086.jpg
    P5300086.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 13
ya but i told him that like 2 weeks ago... hahahaha!

yah the little punk let me sound like crap for 15 years before hookin me up!

Attachments

• P1050165.jpg
    P1050165.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 756
  • P1050167.jpg
    P1050167.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 918
  • P1050168.jpg
    P1050168.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 695
im pretty much self taught. I remembered picking up the uke in elementary and i couldnt even play "Surf" which was supposed to be THE easiest song to learn. But in my junior year i just looked at chords, learned from tabs, and basically watch and listen what other ppl do, whether in person or on the internet

self taught from the internet, i remember there was an aussie guy who made some ukulele lessons on youtube just after i started, so i learn my first few chords from him. then alligatorboogaloo which doesnt update anymore :(

i played the piano and trumpet at pretty high standard when i was younger and i did exams in music theory so i got to grips with some of it kinda quick. but most of my theory is out the window now, but i get by!

im also the only person ive ever met who plays the ukulele which is a really sad thing :(

aldrine,aldrine, train your ears! makes life easier when you want to learn a new song thats impossible to find on the net!

teach yourself!

started out playing trumpet in middle school that kept me busy for a while. took piano for all of 6 months. Then I went over to my neighbors house and saw him playing the uke. I'm not sure what it was but I was fascinated by it. In my mind I thought "Man, I could play that thing better than he can if I wanted to" ;)So I got myself a uke. Listened to island music and taught myself how to play.

Later, the internet became one of my best teachers. Dominator's tabs helped me along the way too. Nothing beats a real teacher and mentor though. The Uke has made a huge surge on Guam though, and its impossible to get a decent teacher without being on a waiting list several months long.:eek:

On a general context, I taught myself.. but like for some songs/chords/picking that I don't know how to do, I ask my friends and they teach me.

My older sister gave me similar advice when I was starting.:D

So both you and nukedoc got the same advice? Describe "banging on the strings" please. I want to make sure I am not doing this either... thanks.

yah the little punk let me sound like crap for 15 years before hookin me up!

Nuker.. I asked another member the same question. What do you mean exaclty by "banging on the strings"? I want to make sure I am not doing this either if it effects the sound quality etc..

Nuker.. I asked another member the same question. What do you mean exaclty by "banging on the strings"? I want to make sure I am not doing this either if it effects the sound quality etc..

I think my sister meant like play songs instead of just going crazy wailing away at the strings. (I guess I liked to get all nuts and "in the moment" or whatever...) I don't know really... I should ask her. In any case, I think I fixed the problem 'cause she never says that to me anymore.

Top Bottom