PDA

View Full Version : please help, buzz in open pick still after string change

keithy351
01-13-2010, 02:46 PM
g'day guys, im in real need of some help here, i just spent a week waiting for my new strings and bridge pins to come through, and i still have a loud buzz and vibration in my kanile'a k-1 tenor, as i said i replaced them with worth clears and theres stilll the same issue, could anyone please offer any adivce and help?

robbocx
01-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Ok first question.

Buzzing on one string or all strings?

keithy351
01-13-2010, 03:51 PM
its buzzing from the c,e and a string

robbocx
01-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Ok lets try and locate where the buzzing is coming from?

Try touching/pressing the parts of the Uke as you pluck the strings, like the bridge, the nut, around the sound hole etc this may help locate where the buzz is coming from.

You may also have a buzz from the slots in the nut; try loosening one string and slip a small piece of paper around the string at the nut and re tighten and pluck the string.

Trial & error...

keithy351
01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
the main buzz is comming from E string and the area that it is buzzing is in the rear left side of the ukulele, what i mean is, if u lay the ukulele infront of u sound hole side up with the headstock furthest away from you its buzzing behind the sound hole on the left rear side.... you know i actually just tried placing a piece of string under the nut like u suggested and it seemed to of made it sound better, still i tiny slight buzz still noticeable but not as bad

robbocx
01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
OK, is the buzz coming out through the sound hole – could it be a loose brace?

PaulGeo
01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Does it have a pickup? I had one that had a pickup wire hanging down and touching the back of the uke which caused a buzz as the back vibrated. Just had to bend the wire up away from the back.

keithy351
01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
g'day im guessing at the moment it may have something to do with the nut and brace, so im going to look on the net for different things, will post back soon, do you two guys, thanks for posting, it dosnt have a pickup and the buzz seems to not be coming out the sound hole,will keep use posted thanks for those with there help so far

Aldrine Guerrero
01-13-2010, 10:43 PM
did the buzz happen before the string change or after? if its before then its most likely not a loose brace. I'm thinking it's the string tension and probably buzznig on the 11th or 12th fret (thats where it vibrates the most) the higher the tension, the less vibration.

buddhuu
01-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Keithy, did you check out the Buzzing issues thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?10546-Buzzing-on-String-Instruments-Causes-and-Cures)?

There may be a hint in there somewhere...

keithy351
01-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Uke still not fixed, was false alarm arrrgghhh, still buzzing really bad in the e string, so back to plz help me, how do i check if the braces are loose

keithy351
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Bump still need help arrrgghh

PeformanceUke
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Did you buy the uke new? Maybe you could call the manufacture for some help. Worst case scenario could be the neck is warped our something in the ukulele structure is loose. Does it buzz when pressing down on the frets our just open pluck? What kind of tuners do you have? If they are geared tuners look at the nut on the top were the strings go onto and make sure the tuner fastener nuts are tighten . Also if you have one of thoes clip on tunerers those can make a buzz as well when cliped onto the headstock.

keithy351
01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
thanks mate, yeh its buzzing open string, im gonna email kanilea and ask them, its only 3 months old and i honestly have no idea what im looking at or looking for

PeformanceUke
01-14-2010, 10:36 PM
if you alredy havent tried its possible the screw on your geared tuners are loose, if there are check to see if there are snug down but don't overtorque it. Here is a image of what i am talking about . http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8806/dscn0704080.jpg (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/dscn0704080.jpg/)

buddhuu
01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
if you alredy havent tried its possible the screw on your geared tuners are loose, if there are check to see if there are snug down but don't overtorque it. Here is a image of what i am talking about . http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8806/dscn0704080.jpg (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/dscn0704080.jpg/)

Good call. Definitely worth checking out.

Keithy, are the ends of your strings trimmed? long string ends can buzz against the headstock.

Is the action at the nut too low? Does the uke still buzz if you play with a capo on the first fret?

keithy351
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM
g'day, with the kanilea they dont have that sort of nut on the top, to BuddhUU, yeh it still buzzes when pressed down on the first fret, from there like 2nd and third it seems to go away, its still brand new the uke, like only really been played a hand full of times, the buzz came out of no where, opened my case a week ago, strummed it, and noticed the buzz, so i honestly dont know how to check if the action is too low ect... its been sitting there and really makin me kinda upset, saved for a whole year to buy it, and after only 3 months, it sounds wose then my beat around ukulele that cost me $100 which ive had for 2 year

buddhuu
01-15-2010, 01:16 AM
As it's still new I'd be reluctant to do anything that might interfere with warranty.

Have you contacted the retailer direct? The retailer and the manufacturer should be made aware. They may be able to help.

keithy351
01-15-2010, 01:55 AM
i have been in contact with the store i bought it from in australia and also just emailed kanilea themselves, ive swapped out the bridge pins that surely wont affect warranty will it, idiot me lost 2 while taking the first set of strings off lol

Kekani
01-15-2010, 10:10 PM
When you changed your strings, did you have the setup redone. Most here will flame in for saying that, but I can tell you that Worth's are thin and I would guess they're not seating properly in a nut designed for more than likely thicker strings.

Personally, if I change a string set, I have in my mind that I'm also swapping out the nut and possibly the saddle. Why? The nut slots may no longer fit properly, and the saddle may have to be redone/recompensated. For me, the best time to change strings brands is when installing a pickup, and going to thicker strings - this way its just labor, and not material. Fortunately for me, Savarez and D'Addario are very very similarly gauged.

BTW, if I wasn't clear, setup costs are worth it, probably $50 USD or so, depends on the person working on it. Although, Kanilea sets theirs up pretty good to begin with. Of course, that doesn't matter in your case since you already changed your strings.

-Aaron

buddhuu
01-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Why would anyone flame a reasonable suggestion? It's a fair thought.

However, Keithy said it still buzzes when fretted at the first, so it's sounding more like a possible fret related issue than a nut issue. Once you fret the string, the nut is mostly out of the picture, except for in how it affects action and intonation. The other thing is that a good uke should have the nut slots cut with decent nut files which leave a rounded bottom to the slot. The thing you describe where lighter gauge strings buzz in wider slots usually happens when the slots have been cut with junky files that leave a squared, flat bottom to the slot.

But I agree that it can happen.

EDIT: buzzing can also occur when the nut slots don't slant back and down toward the headstock to ensure a clean string break across the fretboard facing edge.

keithy351
01-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Why would anyone flame a reasonable suggestion? It's a fair thought.

However, Keithy said it still buzzes when fretted at the first, so it's sounding more like a possible fret related issue than a nut issue. Once you fret the string, the nut is mostly out of the picture, except for in how it affects action and intonation. The other thing is that a good uke should have the nut slots cut with decent nut files which leave a rounded bottom to the slot. The thing you describe where lighter gauge strings buzz in wider slots usually happens when the slots have been cut with junky files that leave a squared, flat bottom to the slot.

But I agree that it can happen.

EDIT: buzzing can also occur when the nut slots don't slant back and down toward the headstock to ensure a clean string break across the fretboard facing edge.

first of thankyou to everyone who is helping me out here, you do not relise how much i appreciate it i am extreamly thankful, too Buddhuu, what do u mean by ensureing that a clean string break across the fretboard facing edge?? how do i check this out???

HoldinCoffee
01-16-2010, 01:16 AM
first of thankyou to everyone who is helping me out here, you do not relise how much i appreciate it i am extreamly thankful, too Buddhuu, what do u mean by ensureing that a clean string break across the fretboard facing edge?? how do i check this out???

read this:
http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/Nuts/nuts1.html
there are three pages

keithy351
01-16-2010, 03:47 AM
thankyou kindly holdincoffee im gonna read through it now

keithy351
01-16-2010, 04:24 AM
ok so, i had a look at my nut??? the part at the top where the strings rest, this picture i drew is what i am seeing of how the strings are sitting, could this be where my problem lies?

keithy351
01-16-2010, 04:36 AM
OK GUYS, WELL A QUICK UPDATE again, i just had a look at my other ukulele and they seem to sit the same, so i unwond the strings and pulled them to the side, to depths and shapes of the grooves in the nuts are all the same, but i thought i'd try to place some paper underneath which brought the strings in all equal sitting height and retighten the strings, the buzz was still present... i drew this picture to show where the buzzing seems to be coming from, ie this is the area that i feel and hear the buzz it seems. I have stuck my hand in the feel if anything is loose, everything seems tight...

buddhuu
01-16-2010, 05:19 AM
That link HC posted is the real business. Frank Ford is a guru. :)

I don't reckon yr nut is the problem though, as you get the buzz when you fret the strings.

Kekani
01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
That link HC posted is the real business. Frank Ford is a guru. :)

I don't reckon yr nut is the problem though, as you get the buzz when you fret the strings.

I need to really read the problem better. Personally, you may have a combination of things that I would address on any instrument I send out (like how the strings sit in the nut slot - I don't like them deep, but I also don't like them halfway out either). Depending on which Worth you got, you may not have enough tension for your current setup.

-Aaron

dentuke
01-17-2010, 03:18 PM
There was no buzzing before the string change.... The Kanilea has bridge pins and this could be the problem.... Loosen the strings pull the pins out and make sure you have them on with the notch catching the knot in the string...... Sometimes you may have excess string vibrating on the bridge pin and consequently resonating there.......

HoldinCoffee
01-17-2010, 05:45 PM
I remember a thread a while back talking about a Tenor with missing bridge-pins and buzzing... is this the continuing saga of that uke but now with 50% more bridge pin?

buddhuu
01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
The bridge pin thing makes sense to me. A definite possibility.

dentuke
01-18-2010, 03:06 AM
It happened to me in my Kanilea

rreffner
01-18-2010, 10:44 AM
When you changed your strings, did you have the setup redone. Most here will flame in for saying that, but I can tell you that Worth's are thin and I would guess they're not seating properly in a nut designed for more than likely thicker strings.

Personally, if I change a string set, I have in my mind that I'm also swapping out the nut and possibly the saddle. Why? The nut slots may no longer fit properly, and the saddle may have to be redone/recompensated. For me, the best time to change strings brands is when installing a pickup, and going to thicker strings - this way its just labor, and not material. Fortunately for me, Savarez and D'Addario are very very similarly gauged.

BTW, if I wasn't clear, setup costs are worth it, probably $50 USD or so, depends on the person working on it. Although, Kanilea sets theirs up pretty good to begin with. Of course, that doesn't matter in your case since you already changed your strings.

-Aaron

What you are saying is - set-up is string manufacturer specific? If that is true, isn't that a bit restrictive for the majority of players? Setups are supposed to be that sensative of an adjustment? Thanks

Kekani
01-18-2010, 12:34 PM
What you are saying is - set-up is string manufacturer specific?

Depends on the builder.

If that is true, isn't that a bit restrictive for the majority of players?

Depends on the player.

Setups are supposed to be that sensative of an adjustment?

Personally, yes.

-Aaron

keithy351
01-20-2010, 11:25 PM
hey guys, just a small update, my ukulele is still buzzing extreamly bad, through basically all strings, i got an email back from kanilea's owners who where very polite, they told me to change the strings back to aquilla as this is what strings they set there ukes up for, so im awaiting on a new set of strings again :( then from there they will keep helping me out i hope, they asked me if there was a popping sound when i first took the strings off which i didnt, but getting in contact them via email is kinda slow, i get an email once a week from them... going onto week 4 still no playable ukulele :(..... this is the point where i sit down and go, it feels like a waisted a whole year of savings which was a $1000.... i would never of expected this to happen after only 2 1/2 months of owning a brand new instrament, really regretting it at the moment, even worse is been played no more then a total of only 2 HOURS :(

GreatGazukes
01-21-2010, 12:53 AM
this is the point where i sit down and go, it feels like a waisted a whole year of savings which was a $1000.... i would never of expected this to happen after only 2 1/2 months of owning a brand new instrament, really regretting it at the moment, even worse is been played no more then a total of only 2 HOURS :(

Ouch matey!, Hope you get it resolved S O O N. Can only offer some sympathy, but can guess how I'd be feeling. DESPONDENT AND CROSS. Keep us informed cos we're baracking for you!

SweetWaterBlue
01-21-2010, 01:42 AM
hey guys, just a small update, my ukulele is still buzzing extreamly bad, through basically all strings, i got an email back from kanilea's owners who where very polite, they told me to change the strings back to aquilla as this is what strings they set there ukes up for, so im awaiting on a new set of strings again :( then from there they will keep helping me out i hope, they asked me if there was a popping sound when i first took the strings off which i didnt, but getting in contact them via email is kinda slow, i get an email once a week from them... going onto week 4 still no playable ukulele :(..... this is the point where i sit down and go, it feels like a waisted a whole year of savings which was a $1000.... i would never of expected this to happen after only 2 1/2 months of owning a brand new instrament, really regretting it at the moment, even worse is been played no more then a total of only 2 HOURS :(

I hate to say this, since the guys you bought it from ought to fix it, but since it is a $1000 uke, perhaps its time to take it to a professional luthier. Who knows, they might be able to fix it in 5 minutes.

buddhuu
01-21-2010, 02:13 AM
I hate to say this, since the guys you bought it from ought to fix it, but since it is a $1000 uke, perhaps its time to take it to a professional luthier. Who knows, they might be able to fix it in 5 minutes.

Good input.

I'd try the change to Aquilas to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt, but after that I think SweetWaterBlue's suggested course of action is the way to go. Get it assessed by a pro - even if only to see if there's a warranty issue that the retailer/manufacturer should address.

keithy351
01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
thanks for the comments guys i find a form and tranquility when comming here with comments that seems to brighten miself up a little when it comes on the subject of ukulele, yeh im giving the manufacture its chance to help out, which i think they might be able too, i will change the strings again as they ask and then keep going from there, the only issue at the moment of not going to a pro is because of cash reasons, unemployed student need his books for next month dosnt flow to well when trying to fix an instrament, and paying for shipping cost is going to waist me $50+ there and back which at the moment that is a weeks of chow....

buddhuu
01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Keep us updated, Keithy. I hope it works out for you.

keithy351
01-22-2010, 02:24 AM
thanks BuddhUU u have been a massive help, i can not thankyou enough, u helped me pin point the area the buzz was coming from and eliminate what i hope are serious things so again thankyou very much

keithy351
01-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Well small update again, replaced the strings to aquila as kanilea requested and is still buzzing like theres no tomorrow, its discusting to listen to, and waisted around $50 in strings and delivery chargers, and yeh, its set me broke too, extreamly disapointed, havnt played uke for about a month, so awaiting to see what kanilea suggest now, if they say send it back its somethin i wont be able to do for a few months, will cost me close to $100 to send it from aus to hawaii and isnt feasable so its just one bad news thing after the other lol not havin a good run with this one, if it was bought from a shop close by i woulld of been in there requesting refund or exchange from day 1 but store is other side of australia and manufature is other side of the world

buddhuu
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Sorry you're still having trouble, mate. I feel for you. I know how awkward it can be when a problem develops with an instrument that was bought from overseas. :( I also know what it's like to be totally broke!

I think the manufacturer is your best bet if you can't afford to have a pro repair guy look at it.

I would suggest that you send them a link to this thread. They may find it helpful if they can see the history of your problem, what you've looked at in trying to track it down, the feedback you've received etc.

Please keep us updated. Hope you get a solution.

buddhuu
01-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Sorry, Keithy... Just reread your post.

If the law in Oz is similar to in the UK then the retailer should really be your point of redress. If the instrument is faulty, then if you were in the UK you would not have to pay shipping to return it.

No harm in letting the manufacturer know all the same, but they may not be directly obliged to intervene if your contract was with the retailer. Of course, there's nothing to stop them helping out if they choose to, but legally it may be more the retailer's responsibility.

You may want to check that out locally to see what consumer law says in your region.

Perhaps let the retailer know about the thread too. They may find the info useful when deciding the best way to implement their customer service.

Where did you buy it? I don't recall seeing the name of the store, just the manufacturer...

As you should be well within any reasonable warranty period, let's hope one or the other of them has the Mainland or MGM approach to customer satisfaction.

keithy351
01-28-2010, 02:38 AM
thank buddhuu i cant say thanks enough mate, ur words have totally helped me through this situation, and helpin out figureing out problems and possible issues, the seller within australia has very kindly told me that they will repair the ukulele for me and pay to ship it back, i just need to send it to them... im relieved at the moment, although i know it will be gone for a while, i know it will come back fixed, so im still cut as but am noww happy, to me, after listening to it it hearing it get worse by the minute, i have put it down to loose brace of some sort i think, its weird, cause the buzz is in the body and i dont know, just sounds like the wood is "jumping" if you get me, i did try to take it to a local luither this arvo as the australian seller mentioned that they look at it for free, i went into the local store, he told me it will cost me $40 to basically look at it and give me an idea/tell me what the problem is, ha, so that was a failed attempt... but yeh so after some stuffing around trying to figure it out it should be getting sent back some time next week when cash comes in, but on the bright side, if i ever get another ukulele that buzzes i can test about 30 odd things now to eliminate the possible issues lol, i try to pick it up and play it a little but the sound is just grose, it sounds like someone has stringed up a concrete ukulele and as its playing the concrete is rubbing against another piece lol...

buddhuu
01-28-2010, 03:50 AM
I'm delighted that the seller is helping to get it sorted out. :)

Sucks to be without a uke for a while, but it's in a good cause.

Looking forward to seeing you post a big cheer when you get it back all fixed up!