Favorite Ukulele Strings

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
So I was surfing around, looking at different threads here on UU and I saw 1 titled "Favorite Guitar Strings". Which made me think, Hey! I could use similar information about the ukulele. I create a thread yesterday about Aquila;s so I thouhgt this thread would be more complete.

I have a new beater and I want to change the strings. I have only used Aquila's and these stock strings that are eatting the tips of my fingers. Can you tell me what you like to use and what your favorites are? I'm sure a lot of newbies like me out there would like to know. Thanks in advance folks.

You know, it really depends on the makeup of the ukulele...what wood is used, laminate vs solid wood, size soprano vs tenor vs concert vs pineapple, and also what kind of sound you want from that uke....for instance, I find Aquila's good for bringing out the volume in quiet ukes, but these maybe too brash for solid woods especially mellow tonewoods, in that case I go for Ko'olau golds, or if I want even more depth I'll go for Worths.
Strings I have found to be wanting in tonal character have been GHS (very one dimensional), Vinci (stock on Oscar Schmidt, maybe why they get bad press), Hilo ( just...yuck!).
Strings I'm currently trying are Freemont blacks (seem promising!), Orca ( yep, going low G!), D'addario ( what the heck), and maybe Kala red.

Top Bottom