I'm New And Looking To Get A Good Uke

Wolf

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know anything about this Uku. sorry i can't be of more help there. You should take a look around Ukulele Underground.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?7-Ukulele-Marketplace

People are always selling something Also if you give it a little time more people will start posting suggestions in this thread and you here some reviews about this Uku. Good luck and welcome to UU.

I've been looking into Ukes for a few days now and I think i'm ready to buy one. First thing I did was look on eBay for some Ukes, found this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mahalo-LP-Sty...ruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item4a9cfa1702

I like the look of it (although that isn't important) and the price. So i'm just wondering if I should get this one or look around for others? If so can anyone suggest any Ukes?

Welcome to UU. What's your budget? (USD, EUR or your crazy GBP funny money :) )

I've been looking into Ukes for a few days now and I think i'm ready to buy one. First thing I did was look on eBay for some Ukes, found this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mahalo-LP-Sty...ruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item4a9cfa1702

I like the look of it (although that isn't important) and the price. So i'm just wondering if I should get this one or look around for others? If so can anyone suggest any Ukes?

We sure can. Depending on your price range you should check out Lanikai, Kala, Ohana, Mainland, and quite a few others.

No more than £40 GBP.

Then a Makala Dolphin with some Aquilla Nylgut strings fitted would probably be the best bet. Probably a slightly better quality uke than the Mahalo for similar Money. A lot of folks on here rate the Makala Dolpins, especially if you can get the one with plastic back and sides.
There is a list of UK suppliers over in the Uk.lele social group.
Cheers and enjoy whatever you get!
John

Last edited:
I have the Tele version of that Mahalo uke your looking at, and it is ok, but I bought the one with the pickup, and soon discovered it had a dry joint somewhere in the wiring, and is prone to sounding hissy through my amp. Saying that, played acoutically the uke has pretty good intonation for a cheap starter uke, and is really easy to play. It has a very lovely tone, but it is a bit quiet though, as there is not a lot of volume from the soundbox. I took mine to London last June for the world record uke playing festival. I bought this as a replacement for a really cheap £15 thing, which was pretty much unplayable, and after I got my Mahalo, my learning came on leaps and bounds. Just remember, it is a cheap laminated uke, and at that price, there are a few better instruments out there,but if you like the look, then go for it. In the same price bracket, a Lanikai LU21 has a much bigger voice, and you can get a solid wood Stagg for less than this, which will get better with age.

i can understand, but for this value there is no import duty add on. the extra you will spend on shipping is covered by what you would spend restringing to aquillas and having the intonation corrected, the action optimised, the frets dressed and the absolute assurance that for the money this is the best you can get anywhere, period. seriously the extra wait and extra bucks are WORTH it. don't take my word for it ask others. ive seen and played dolphins in the uk that come as they are, and the difference is between an ok semi toy and a decent cheapie.if you are not digging the dolphins then a lanikai lu21 is probably about 50 quid and they are ok from southern ukulele store on e bay

i can understand, but for this value there is no import duty add on. the extra you will spend on shipping is covered by what you would spend restringing to aquillas and having the intonation corrected, the action optimised, the frets dressed and the absolute assurance that for the money this is the best you can get anywhere, period. seriously the extra wait and extra bucks are WORTH it. don't take my word for it ask others. ive seen and played dolphins in the uk that come as they are, and the difference is between an ok semi toy and a decent cheapie.if you are not digging the dolphins then a lanikai lu21 is probably about 50 quid and they are ok from southern ukulele store on e bay

I'm not too bothered about the total cost, which comes in at around £41. It's the choice of colour really and the delivery of the Uke itself. From what I see I can either have a pink one, a white one or a black one. I'd be able to make the choice, but I did want a red one. Delivery is also a bit of a bother. It will be delivered as a parcel and because it's coming from the USA I won't really know when it will arrive, hence I won't be able to make sure someone's home to accept it.

Top Bottom