Bar Chords

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
I've been playing for a couple of weeks and I've got the basic chords down, but I stink at bar chords. Is there an easy song (particularly a famous one) that uses at least 2 bar chord shapes? I would like to have fun practicing this difficult (to me) skill.

Mahalo!

To start you can take the open chords that you're playing now and play them as bar chords. For example instead of playing G as 0232 play it as 4232. Instead of playing C as 0003 play it as 5433, etc.

I'M YOURS in Bb, its' original tuning.

(noted in GCEA) Play a B 4322, F# 3121, G#m 1342 and E 2444 (or 4447 if you want to make it a bar chord)
F# and G#m are bar chords. If you want you can make E a bar chord.
It's the easiest bar chord song I know. Goodluck! I expect to see a video after you get it down :]

Last edited:
You can use bar chords with the songs you're already playing. All you're doing is using different versions of the same chords a bit higher up. You might take a favorite song, find out the second position chords and have at, or mix it up a bit, using some open chords, some higher up. Pretty soon you'll recognize all the basic chord form patterns and be able to come up with at least four ways to make a given chord on a soprano. Have fun.

How about Hotel California - pretty easy to play and a couple of simple bar chords, which will give you something to practice.

Top Bottom