I guess everyone loves the uke.

JackT

Reaction score
So after 3 days of friends constantly wantin to see my uke, i decided to bring it in to college (senior year i think for some of you). Was expecting a few people to rip it out of me a bit for it, but everyone loved it. Smiles from everyone who saw me playing. Only instrument I ever seen do it, can only play two songs at the moment. Don't even get one smile from people when I play guitar and I can play quite a few more popular songs than "Somewhere over the rainbow" and "Five foot two" lol :D.

Anyone else had similar reactions, was quite shocked to be honest :eek:.

Always. Whenever I bust out my uke, smiles abound. Ain't it great? :D

When I introduce one of my long-time fellow guitarists to the uke, they get blown away by it.

Every couple days I go to the taco truck for lunch and sit in the back of my truck and play my uke. Everyone always says hello or smiles. And I'm usually only just tuning it or just kinda plucking, not even really playing anything. Before I got my uke, no one said anything to me.

Here's a joke: A filipino couple in Hawaii are parked on a dark street making out. A cop walks up and taps on the wimdow and says, in his hawaiian accent, "Hey, no parking here!" The filipino guy looks up and says, "We no paking, we only kissing." LOL!

Every couple days I go to the taco truck for lunch and sit in the back of my truck and play my uke. Everyone always says hello or smiles. And I'm usually only just tuning it or just kinda plucking, not even really playing anything. Before I got my uke, no one said anything to me.

Here's a joke: A filipino couple in Hawaii are parked on a dark street making out. A cop walks up and taps on the wimdow and says, in his hawaiian accent, "Hey, no parking here!" The filipino guy looks up and says, "We no paking, we only kissing." LOL!

HAHA! that joke is pretty funny, usually nothing happens when i busy out my uke <_< but i did have someone come up to me and tune my uke cause it was out of tune haha

Reminds me of Rex Navarette's "packing" skit...very funny :D

Yeah... so far, everyone who has seen me playing the uke has either smiled or waved... or occasionally done nothing.

Well... except for a few poor souls who were probably traumatized by a certain tall fellow wearing black and singing about tulips in a high voice... and therefore judge the instrument by that.

And one of those people just happens to be my orchestra director, whom my friend and I are going to get a uke as an end of year present and see what happens...

In my experience it's always extreme. People either loved it or hated it. While busking with my friends some guy gave us a ten with my uke, a harmonica, and a kazoo/vocals (it was really bad unrehearsed CFG playing). And then later that day about 4 cars went by and yelled vulgar things at us. They said neither of those things had happened to them before, so it must have been the uke.

As for me, I'm still in my teens. Junior year in HS and most kids will be immature and all 'whatever' about it.

Like today, I noticed someone brought their uke to class (which is highly rising in my school) and they were playing it. A student told 'em, "Hey, give the uke to Ibarr (me) and let him do some pickings. He's really good and he knows a lot of songs". So I'm playing some jams and it gets really quiet with the whole class staring at me play, and when I'm done, they start laughing and giggling since the uke was said to be a 'tiny guitar'. I was upset, but soon people will recognize that the uke is the real deal.

I almost always bring a uke to my church and play it whenever there are some down time between service and other activities. I seem to become the invisible man when playing the uke. But then again it's a Taiwanese church and most people are probably violin and piano snobs...:p

People mostly see me play at work and are curious as to what I have in the case. Most think its a violin but when I break it out....wow! They think it's the coolest thing ever. The most common comment is how soothing it sounds.

In all the time I've played ukulele I can only remember one person (teenage boy trying to impress his girlfriend and sparewheels) dissing on my "little guitar."

I bit my tongue but really wanted to say... "Some of us have no need to overcompensate."

Mainly I don't really care if this or that person doesn't take the uke "seriously." I don't take it seriously myself, it's too much fun to spoil it that way.

Top Bottom