I just bought a new uke! ....Tuning problems...

richard bell

Reaction score
After beginning to play my 13 dollar uke I thought i t might be time for an upgrade. I changed sizes from the standard smallest size with nylon strings to a Oscar schmidt ou5 concert koa with nylgut strings. I have tuned the new uke to GCEA but when I play cords,I get a much higher off tune sound .I made the change in size in an effort to fit my fingers on the frets. I really like my new uke and hope I havent made a great mistake in purchasing it.Hopeful that it's a simple fix I ask...what are some options?Strings,Different tuning? Ican't be the first one this has happened to.....Thanks for the help.... Rich

Is it just a case of new strings and a new uke? That make and model is reputable enough I believe, so I would be surprised if it left the factory unchecked. Both the wood and strings will settle down over time too. Before dismissing it as faulty check that everything is tightly glued or screwed? - bridge, nut, tuners, also how high are the strings above the fretboard?, is the wood sound? like no cracks or anything. It might just be that a different set and make of strings would be more suitable to this uke for now, maybe try some GCEA concert sized Worth strings. It also might be useful to tune GCEA and then use an electronic tuner to read out the notes at each fret position for accuracy - at least you will know for sure if the intonation is off right down to the 18th fret or whatever.

What are you tuning it with?

Excellent question. I've been playing stringed instruments going on 30 years now and I still have trouble tuning by ear. An electronic tuner, especially the clip-on type, is worth every cent. (Pun intended).

If there are no defects with the uke, it is probably the strings needing adjustment. Seems that new strings take a couple of weeks to completely stretch. This is normal. But, you might want to consider changing to better strings than the strings that came with the uke. Even top strings need time to stretch.

Top Bottom