Aldrine's Kanilea

fscott

Reaction score
I like the sound of his custom Kanilea. Is that representative of the Kanilea tenor sound?

In some cases, yes. Sometimes no. K brand ukes can vary from uke to uke. I've played on some Kanile'as that sound AMAZING and I've played on some that sound rather, meh. It depends on the uke. But in general, yes, Kanile'as are awesome!!

Hmm, I would have to say that it is representitive of the Kanilea Tenor sound, but only to a point. His custom definitely sounds WAY better than my K1-T. I've played his in person, and the resonance in his is just amazing. The feel and fit and finish are also far better on his instrument. I love the neck profile and the neck feel on his custom, because it has a silk finish rather than the "sticky" UV finish on the back of the neck. Overall, I think it is a Kanilea sound, but don't expect your K1-T to sound as good as his.

im sure the Kanilea was given to aldrine

Not really sure if this is relevant...

Like reffner said pretty much any uke is going to sound good for Aldrine because he's so good. It's difficult to compare an off the shelf uke with a custom uke but you can't really go wrong with a K brand.

Why do you say that?

The ukulele was "per se" given to Aldrine. He was sponsored by the company. The company likes what they see in Aldrine and what he is doing in the ukulele community and sponsored him iwth the uke. So the Kanilea is the primary uke that Aldrine uses now....performances and videos. Basically to spark interest in Kanilea....you could call it advertising.

Just a little off topic, has Aldrine or anybody else posted indepth about his custom? I've seen some videos and pics etc but nothing really substantial. I'd love to read another thread like the one made by IIRC, experimentjon about his Kamaka. That thread was awesome.

I'm specifically interested in the bracing etc. My K1 sounds good but I really like the tru bracing from what I've heard.

Just a little off topic, has Aldrine or anybody else posted indepth about his custom? I've seen some videos and pics etc but nothing really substantial. I'd love to read another thread like the one made by IIRC, experimentjon about his Kamaka. That thread was awesome.

I'm specifically interested in the bracing etc. My K1 sounds good but I really like the tru bracing from what I've heard.

LOL, I doubt Aldrine will let me have some time alone with the Kanilea at home when she's still that young. :p

I have put more then a few reviews of the kanile'a customs up in the "review" section.

Aldrine let me play Mary Jane at the Ukulele Picnic today and she is really sweet sounding. Even more, the fretboard is wider and flatter. Feels good to the fingers. The slotted neck and tuners look awesome and the maple inlays are gorgeous. I told Joe Souza I might have to get a second gig for awhile to fund a custom one day.

damn didn't know that uke was given and i thought he bought that uke

Wouldn't it be great if UU held some kind of contest where the winner would get a autographed ukulele that Aldrene used in a performance it would be a great promotion
Jake could do the same maybe a raffle with the proceeds going to a chairity or something like that everyone would win :)

I've noticed that Aldrine seems to be plugging in on the video lessons. The sound you like might be more the pickup than the 'ukulele. Very rarely does the pickup transparently amplify the sound.

No doubt that the Fishman Matrix II that he uses is an excellent pickup. And yeah, that definitely affects the tone that we hear in the videos a lot. It is much better than the Fishman Matrix Infinity that they make now. Or at least to my ears. Either that or I just haven't been able to tweak the Infinity to a setting that I like. If you can find a Matrix II nowadays, you should definitely snatch it up. I've only got them in an old Taylor guitar and an older G String. Just a great plug in and go pickup.

Joe Souza and his wife are both sweetheart's of humanity. Joe's a fireman, by profession. Building ukuleles is a passion and labor of love for Joe. I was there when Joe gifted MJ to Aldrine last year. Aldy spent more time observing the craftmanship and artistry of MJ, than he did playing her. My money says Aldrine plays MJ by choice. Aldrine insisted that I played MJ and she purred, even under my clumsy fingers! MJ was a gift from one artist to another. I've gift items to other artists because I appreciate them. It brings joy to me when they have fun using them. Ric

I have put more then a few reviews of the kanile'a customs up in the "review" section.

Unfortunately that section no longer functions (yes, it's a Star Trek: The Movie reference).

Top Bottom