Recommendation for a Laminate Trimmer?

taylordb

Reaction score
I received a few gift cards this Christmas :D. I want to use them to get a good laminate trimmer for doing binding. I thought I would ask this forum for advice on any particular brand / model that you would recommend….and if possible why you recommend it. Ones to stay away from would also be welcome....again, why would be good.

If it would make a difference in your recommendation, I plan to use it in a jig (either stew-mac bought or handmade jig) that keeps the routing perpendicular to the side regardless of the top profile.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

For wood working in general, the Bosch Colt, w/out variable speed for $99 is generally the most highly regarded. I bought one, and it works fine.

Sorry, should have mentioned, I haven't tried cutting binding channels with it yet, though I intend to, and have bought into the StewMac line of router bits for that purpose. I've been using it to trim my tops, as well as for some non-luthier jobs.

*edit to further qualify my above statement--the Bosch Colt, w/out variable speed for $99 is generally the most highly regarded on the internet, based on reviews and comments in woodworking groups.

Last edited:
Porter Cable makes also makes an excellent trim router but I dunno about the variable speed... Gonna check out that Bosch myself.

Porter Cable makes also makes an excellent trim router but I dunno about the variable speed... Gonna check out that Bosch myself.

My opinion is formed via research, and the consensus out there was the variable speed didn't add anything worthwhile to the mix, but cost $30 more. It won't hurt it any, and maybe it's worthwhile to a luthier (for all I know).

I don't know what model it is, but I've been using a Bosch for about 5 years. I bought it, because all of my past Bosch tools have been reliable in a production shop environment. If I'm unsure what to get, I usually do some research with a google search. Once you do some general searching and narrow down what you're interested in, you can usually find some pretty detailed reviews on specific models. I always look for consistencies in the bad reviews, and use to good reviews to highlight features.

I would stay away from Makita. They used to make great routers and drills, but the quality of their tools isn't what it used to be. Maybe I'm being picky, or maybe I'm just getting the bad tools, but I don't buy their line anymore.

I've never used one, but I've heard good things about the DeWalt laminate trimmer. My experience with DeWalt has been good to date.

We use Porter Cable routers for table routing and have been for many, many years. Talk about abuse, but they keep running. If their laminate trimmers are built like their standard routers, they're probably worth a look.

As for variable speed, it's a nice feature, but not necessary. If I'm routing ebony or rosewood, I sometimes slow down the router and push a little slower. It also depends on the depth, width, and type of cut. Variable speed is definitely a plus if it's there, but it's not a minus to me, if it's not.

I've got a Harbor Freight trimmer that's been doing the job just fine for a couple years now.

Because of your comments, as well as Pete Howlett's, I almost bought that trimmer, but then I figured it wasn't that much more for one that's very highly regarded, waited a pay check, and bought it (the Bosch). I do have several machines from Harbor Freight, and buy a lot of little odds and ends there.

Dave: I've got that orange thing too... works great. They're going for 25 bucks right now but I got mine open box off ebay for 15. In the future I'll probably get another one with better adjustment thingies, probably a porter cable. Harbor Freight tools can be great or they can be a lemon, I sanded 8 cars a day for over a year with one of their palm DAs and I ended up selling it when I decided paint and body work was getting old.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm gonna go with the Bosh Colt. The research I had done prior to posting here was leading me in that direction. Also I have a Bosh jigsaw that has successfully survived the abuse that my son inflicts on all tools (sadly most of mine have not survived him), so I am very impressed with the company. Again...thanks!

Top Bottom