Favorite Ukelele Myths

luvdat

Reaction score
What are your favorite ukelele myths?

I'll go first:

"Concert ukeleles sound 'fuller' than sopranos."

Last edited:
Everything sounds happy on the ukulele. (just ask Crain Robertson)

"It's an inexpensive hobby."

The part that I enjoy/don't enjoy is listening to others (and myself) not want to spend "big bucks" on a $600 uke and then end up with how many $200 "options."

Actually maybe Uke Myth Number 1:

"Strumming is easy."

Last edited:
The ukulele is easy to play.

It's easy to get started making music on the ukulele. You can attain a reasonable level of accompaniment skill (basic strums, basic chords) very quickly. However, mastery of the instrument is a whole different ballgame. Playing like Jake, Lyle Ritz, Ohta-San, Brittni, Aldrine, Taimane, or John King is really dang hard.

I can get away with more sloppiness on the guitar. The uke forces me to clean up my technique.

So so true...in 6 years of playing guitar, I spent less time working on technique than I have in the last year playing ukulele. There's not a lot of leeway in just 3 strings...Also the range of tone is so much smaller, that you need to be super clean for it to sound as good. At least that's been my experience.

All of these myths are true. Especially the multiple cheap ukuleles, and especially the "you don't need another ukulele".

Guys with big fingers should stick to tenors.

My wedding ring fits around my wife's big toe and I am on a big sopranino kick right now.

"You start on a soprano and graduate to a tenor."

The reverse is true.

Here comes a biggie:

"The ukelele needs to be 'taken more seriously.'"

Did Roy Smeck "take the uke more seriously?"

As I type these words, the body of my uke rests under my chin like a violin.

Last edited:
Guys with big fingers should stick to tenors.

My wedding ring fits around my wife's big toe and I am on a big sopranino kick right now.

Y'know, I don't think I've ever met anyone who is physically incapable of playing a certain size uke because their fingers are too big/too small. Howlin' Hobbit has huge sausage fingers and prefers smaller ukes, and I know plenty of really small folks who can handle a full-size guitar so it's hard to imagine them having trouble with a tenor uke.

"The soprano is tuned just like the concert or tenor, only higher pitched"

"Tiny Tim killed the popularity of the uke in the US"

Y'know, I don't think I've ever met anyone who is physically incapable of playing a certain size uke because their fingers are too big/too small. Howlin' Hobbit has huge sausage fingers and prefers smaller ukes, and I know plenty of really small folks who can handle a full-size guitar so it's hard to imagine them having trouble with a tenor uke.

I could go on and on about this topic for days. This gets "sold" to people...

"You can only play Hawaiian music on the ukulele if you don't want to be cast aside as a novelty act."

Someone actually said that to me (or something to that effect, anyway). It was a pretty lame thing to say, but I've noticed a lot of folk uneducated in the ways of the uke who think along similar lines. It bugs me.

Buying another uke will help your UAS

You mean this is a MYTH? Boy am I in trouble! I went from buying them to help my UAS to trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to build them. I thought that those eight ukes around the house were going to cure me of UAS any time now. Guess I'll have to scroung up the money to buy/build a couple more.

Top Bottom