AverseBliss
01-16-2010, 03:33 AM
"It's just a children's toy"

Melissa82
01-16-2010, 03:37 AM
"You don't need more ukulele's"

EDW
01-16-2010, 03:42 AM
Everything sounds happy on the ukulele. (just ask Crain Robertson)

luvdat
01-16-2010, 04:14 AM
"It's an inexpensive hobby."

The part that I enjoy/don't enjoy is listening to others (and myself) not want to spend "big bucks" on a $600 uke and then end up with how many $200 "options."

Actually maybe Uke Myth Number 1:

"Strumming is easy."

RevWill
01-16-2010, 04:15 AM
The ukulele is easy to play.

It's easy to get started making music on the ukulele. You can attain a reasonable level of accompaniment skill (basic strums, basic chords) very quickly. However, mastery of the instrument is a whole different ballgame. Playing like Jake, Lyle Ritz, Ohta-San, Brittni, Aldrine, Taimane, or John King is really dang hard.

I can get away with more sloppiness on the guitar. The uke forces me to clean up my technique.

afeistyfiesta
01-16-2010, 04:19 AM
So so true...in 6 years of playing guitar, I spent less time working on technique than I have in the last year playing ukulele. There's not a lot of leeway in just 3 strings...Also the range of tone is so much smaller, that you need to be super clean for it to sound as good. At least that's been my experience.

All of these myths are true. Especially the multiple cheap ukuleles, and especially the "you don't need another ukulele".

haole
01-16-2010, 04:27 AM
"You start on a soprano and graduate to a tenor."

beeejums
01-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Guys with big fingers should stick to tenors.

My wedding ring fits around my wife's big toe and I am on a big sopranino kick right now.

SailorQwest
01-16-2010, 04:32 AM
The "best" Ukulele is the ______, with ______ strings.

luvdat
01-16-2010, 04:37 AM
"You start on a soprano and graduate to a tenor."

The reverse is true.

Here comes a biggie:

"The ukelele needs to be 'taken more seriously.'"

Did Roy Smeck "take the uke more seriously?"

As I type these words, the body of my uke rests under my chin like a violin.

haole
01-16-2010, 04:45 AM

My wedding ring fits around my wife's big toe and I am on a big sopranino kick right now.

Y'know, I don't think I've ever met anyone who is physically incapable of playing a certain size uke because their fingers are too big/too small. Howlin' Hobbit has huge sausage fingers and prefers smaller ukes, and I know plenty of really small folks who can handle a full-size guitar so it's hard to imagine them having trouble with a tenor uke.

mailman
01-16-2010, 04:49 AM
"The soprano is tuned just like the concert or tenor, only higher pitched"

"Tiny Tim killed the popularity of the uke in the US"

luvdat
01-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Y'know, I don't think I've ever met anyone who is physically incapable of playing a certain size uke because their fingers are too big/too small. Howlin' Hobbit has huge sausage fingers and prefers smaller ukes, and I know plenty of really small folks who can handle a full-size guitar so it's hard to imagine them having trouble with a tenor uke.

I could go on and on about this topic for days. This gets "sold" to people...

grammy
01-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Buying another uke will help your UAS

StereoJoker
01-16-2010, 06:02 AM
"You can only play Hawaiian music on the ukulele if you don't want to be cast aside as a novelty act."

Someone actually said that to me (or something to that effect, anyway). It was a pretty lame thing to say, but I've noticed a lot of folk uneducated in the ways of the uke who think along similar lines. It bugs me.

Paul December
01-16-2010, 06:33 AM
The ukulele signed a pact with the devil so an earthquake is on its way.

wheelgunner
01-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Buying another uke will help your UAS

You mean this is a MYTH? Boy am I in trouble! I went from buying them to help my UAS to trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to build them. I thought that those eight ukes around the house were going to cure me of UAS any time now. Guess I'll have to scroung up the money to buy/build a couple more.

Thumper
01-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Ukuleles taste just like chicken.

grammy
01-16-2010, 06:54 AM
of course it is a myth,, buying ukes is like doing smack, the more you buy the more you want.

SailorQwest
01-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Ukuleles taste just like chicken.

How do you know that's a myth? Um... What do they taste like?
Mmmmmm Ukulele.

Ukulele JJ
01-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Each song has a particular strum pattern that is the "correct" one.

JJ

lonsilog
01-16-2010, 10:06 AM
"This is my last ukulele purchase...really"

mailman
01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
That "ukulele" is spelled "ukelele".....

Doctroid
01-16-2010, 10:46 AM
"Ukuleles spin counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere."

geoffsuke
01-16-2010, 10:47 AM
the ukulele isn't THE COOLEST INSTRUMENT...

....IN THE WORLD

(said like jeremy clarkson)

EDW
01-16-2010, 11:33 AM
A koa Martin doesn't burn as well as a mahogany.

(try it, you'll see!)

hoosierhiver
01-16-2010, 01:33 PM
The lower the action the better.

Thumper
01-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Deach is a woman.

dkcrown
01-16-2010, 02:10 PM
That you can meet hot babes by playing the uke :)

luvdat
01-16-2010, 02:33 PM
The lower the action the better.

Thanks for following up on that...AGAIN!

phanzo
01-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Each song has a particular strum pattern that is the "correct" one.

JJ

This one bothers me. I get sick of seeing folks ask for particular strum patterns of tunes. Just go with what sounds right to YOU!

How about, "Koa sounds BETTER than ______"

ukepick
01-16-2010, 03:39 PM
"The ukulele is a toy guitar."

"The ukulele is poor man's guitar."

Zaza The Rebel
01-16-2010, 04:36 PM
"Why are ukuleles so expensive?"

...from my mother, about a $180 uke.

P-co
01-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Ukuleles have never really been to the moon.

P-co
01-16-2010, 06:28 PM
If you scratch a needle backwards on a uke you will hear chants of the devil.

P-co
01-16-2010, 06:51 PM
If you scratch a needle backwards on a uke you will hear chants of the devil.

Some would say the passing of my fingers over the strings produces such a horrifying shreek!

Hobgoblin Steve
01-16-2010, 07:25 PM
That you can meet hot babes by playing the uke :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/Alderuen/Untitled-1-3.gif 'nuff said

luvdat
01-17-2010, 12:12 AM
"You can only play Hawaiian music on the ukulele if you don't want to be cast aside as a novelty act."

Someone actually said that to me (or something to that effect, anyway). It was a pretty lame thing to say, but I've noticed a lot of folk uneducated in the ways of the uke who think along similar lines. It bugs me.

For starters, the whole music business itself is based on "novelty." Don't get me wrong, I fullly understand the connotation of "novelty" here and "novelty" is a whole category of ukuleles.

Is the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britatain a "novelty" act? Maybe for just the first song. But I think it's fair to say that they themselves are aware of the "novelty" of doing "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" and "Life on Mars?" Well, when you get into "Life On Mars" it's simply beautiful. And yes, there's quality "novelty." Knowing it's "novelty" and doing it well.

Hey, I've listened to that dude play AC/DC on the uke. It's precisely the novelty of that he's after. No?

I think what would be worse: to insist that the ukulele be "taken seriously" to such an extent that what emerges are the tedious, longwinded self-conscious even self-righteous intros to songs of the cringeworthy "folk era" fittingly satiricized in the film "A Mighty Wind." I've already seen a few such approaches on a few You Tube videos. No thanks. I'll skip the nerdfest. BTW, this is NOT any reference to Jake S. who is not a nerd by any means though "nerd" gets tossed around here lovingly on UU in other contexts.

Uke players like Formby and Smeck aimed to be entertainers and performers and popular. They were not aiming to be "taken seriously." People who aim at being "taken seriously" usually get laughed at, or as in music, they are able to construct a ghetto of like minded nerds who see others on the outside as people who "don't get it."

Respect and being "taken seriously" are byproducts.

Most people take themselves too seriously. We're hard on others, easy on ourselves.

micromue
01-17-2010, 12:34 AM
"All pros play tenors".
"Koa sounds bright, mahagony sounds mellow".
"Every ukulele sounds better with aquila strings".
"Ukuleleplayers need to be taken more seriously" (not to be confused with the before mentioned "Ukuleles need to be taken more seriously", which is absolute true!)

luvdat
01-17-2010, 12:38 AM
"All pros play tenors".
"Koa sounds bright, mahagony sounds mellow".
"Every ukulele sounds better with aquila strings".
"Ukuleleplayers need to be taken more seriously" (not to be confused with the before mentioned "Ukuleles need to be taken more seriously", which is absolute true!)

See my response above...the whole "serious" thing makes me laugh. Taken to an extreme, this is the talk of crazy people.

Frankly, how seriously do people take guitars and what does that mean in everyday life? These are aren't heart/lung machines or something.

micromue
01-17-2010, 12:48 AM
See my response above...the whole "serious" thing makes me laugh. Taken to an extreme, this is the talk of crazy people.

Frankly, how seriously do people take guitars and what does that mean in everyday life? These are aren't heart/lung machines or something.

Hm, I should have used a smiley bc I was joking. Of course you are absolutely right.:D

dkcrown
01-17-2010, 03:23 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/Alderuen/Untitled-1-3.gif 'nuff said

Steve, I guess that means I have to move to Brooklyn. D-

afeistyfiesta
01-17-2010, 03:49 AM
I'll skip the nerdfest.

Hey! Don't pretend that nerds aren't awesome. I'll use this as a teachable moment (I am a teacher after all...)

When my kids at school (I teach 6th grade) tell me (always lovingly, I might add) that I'm a huge nerd, I embrace it readily. I tell them that contrary to what they might think, nerds are the coolest people in the world and almost always make the most important changes to it. I then cite examples of awesome nerds that they both know (usually other teachers) and that are famous.

See, in my opinion, nerd gets applied to anyone who is passionate about something that it seemingly against the mainstream of popular culture. So if you want to call me a "nerd" for loving Food Network, or Planet Earth and other nature documentaries, or Zelda, or for reading every frickin' book ever published about the beatles, or Japanese Manga (comic books basically), or the Ukulele, go right on ahead...I'll just consider it a compliment.

austin1
01-17-2010, 05:45 AM
"only mermaids play the ukulele"

I can attest that this is not true, I am not a mermaid.

Doctroid
01-17-2010, 06:19 AM

Like so many other things, ukes should be taken seriously, but not solemnly.

luvdat
01-17-2010, 06:24 AM
Hey! Don't pretend that nerds aren't awesome. I'll use this as a teachable moment (I am a teacher after all...)

When my kids at school (I teach 6th grade) tell me (always lovingly, I might add) that I'm a huge nerd, I embrace it readily. I tell them that contrary to what they might think, nerds are the coolest people in the world and almost always make the most important changes to it. I then cite examples of awesome nerds that they both know (usually other teachers) and that are famous.

See, in my opinion, nerd gets applied to anyone who is passionate about something that it seemingly against the mainstream of popular culture. So if you want to call me a "nerd" for loving Food Network, or Planet Earth and other nature documentaries, or Zelda, or for reading every frickin' book ever published about the beatles, or Japanese Manga (comic books basically), or the Ukulele, go right on ahead...I'll just consider it a compliment.

It's not the stuff or the interests per se but the talking about it part. When whatever it is people are into is a "given" fine. As far as "against the mainstream of popular culture" I don't even know what the mainstream really is these days. Ultimately even being a "nonconformist" is a convention, a type. I guess my point is more about in the serving up of stuff. When it comes to music, entertain me...don't train me.

I am a huge fan of "Revenge of the Nerds" and have had "wet eyes" during the end of the movie..."We Are The Champions." If there's such a thing, comic beauty.

Now back to my 38 gallon fishtank featuring 14 Colombian tetras and a Tiki Hut beach motif...

haolejohn
01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
What about the whole learning the ukulele is easy myth? I mean come on if learning was easy, wouldn't we all sound like Jake or Aldrine or DeG or JumpingFlea or Seeso or any other uke player that sounds good?

StereoJoker
01-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Like so many other things, ukes should be taken seriously, but not solemnly.

(Man, I hate not having an internet connection for the day.)

Doc here pretty much summed up how I'd respond. I'm pretty much just referring to the people who think that all ukulele acts can be shrugged off as being "too campy" to listen to (it's terrible that I feel so unclean for ending a sentence with a preposition, so I'm trying to save myself by inserting a completely irrelevant parenthesis). You know those people, the ones who generalize about uke-players and think they're all silly, or think of the ukulele as only a novelty instrument (see: "toy guitar"). That sort of thing.

I don't know if I made my point without sounding too much like a zealot (or, in that case, an idiot), so I'm gonna let that go and pretend I made a valid argument.

Speaking of easy uke playing, I'm going to extend that myth with another bit I heard recently: "Ukuleles are easier to play than guitars."

theukuleleman
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
ukuleles are only toys seen on sponge bob

Sic_Rob
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
The ukulele is for playing silly music. You can't play anything serious on it, and in my case thats true for now but i'm trying.

Sambient
01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
What about the whole learning the ukulele is easy myth? I mean come on if learning was easy, wouldn't we all sound like Jake or Aldrine or DeG or JumpingFlea or Seeso or any other uke player that sounds good?

Isn't it like playing chess? You can know all the moves the pieces make, being a good player is an entirely different thing.

Sambient
01-17-2010, 04:21 PM
"It's not a real instrument"

haolejohn
01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Isn't it like playing chess? You can know all the moves the pieces make, being a good player is an entirely different thing.

I suppose it could be like chess but I don't have the patience for Chess. Let's make a madden analagy. Knowing the playbook doesn't make you a good player. Pressing the right buttons do:)

mailman
01-17-2010, 06:28 PM

To take that a step further....

You can also buy the finest chess set money can buy, but it won't help you play any better, either.

RevWill
01-18-2010, 03:37 AM
If you pour Pop Rocks and Pepsi into the soundhole of your uke it will explode.

(Everyone knows it's Pop Rocks and Dr. Pepper)

Gipserio
01-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Nine eleven was planned and carried out by ukeleles in disguise.

austin1
01-18-2010, 05:13 AM

ouch, maybe not that one

RevWill
01-18-2010, 05:57 AM
A 75 year old man was able to fly from La Jolla, California to Kaneohe, Hawaii by tethering 125 ukulele to his lawn chair.

paraclete
01-18-2010, 06:15 AM
if you get 100 people to stand on a suspension bridge and all play the same song at one time on the ukulele, the harmonic frequency will cause the cables of the bridge to vibrate and break.

Hastour
01-18-2010, 06:49 AM
A tall man with glowing eyes and an ukulele had reportedly been seen in the Charleston and Point Pleasant areas of West Virginia from November 12, 1966, to December 1967. Most observers describe him as a winged man-sized creature with large reflective red eyes and large wings, carrying a black Makala Dolphin.

Can't wait for Mythbusters Ukulele Special :)

kiddfixit
01-18-2010, 07:00 AM
"Not even light can escape the gravitational pull of a black ukulele hole."

Thumper
01-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Chuck Norris has perfected a martial arts move known as "the crouching ukulele." When executed correctly, there is no known defense.

mailman
01-18-2010, 07:56 AM

Is it just me, or is this just in poor taste? Some things I just can't joke about....

brickerenator
01-18-2010, 08:00 AM
No ukulele, no cry

paraclete
01-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Is it just me, or is this just in poor taste? Some things I just can't joke about....

Yeah, I agree with you totally.... that is about as tasteless as it gets.

wearymicrobe
01-18-2010, 09:36 AM

I hate this as well, I have huge hands like a 12 spread on a piano 12 ring size and I can still play a sopranino.

Ahnko Honu
01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
'Ukuleles are made by Menehunes in a Giant hollow Koa tree on full moon nights this tree located in a secret location somewhere on the Big Island.

austin1
01-18-2010, 09:59 AM

maybe it's just different for those of us living in the new york area, I don't know...but I do know that Jersey has been haunted by a legendary winged beast that's been known to alternately kill livestock and play Tiptoe Through the Tulips!

Ahnko Honu
01-18-2010, 10:44 AM
I do know that Jersey has been haunted by a legendary winged beast that's been known to alternately kill livestock and play Tiptoe Through the Tulips!

That's the legendary Tiny Timbat not to be confused with ManBearPig.

Gipserio
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
@mailman and paraclet
Please accept my apologies, the last thing I wanted was to offend any fellow uke lovers. I'm new to UU and hope I can make up for it in time!

buddhuu
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
@mailman and paraclet
Please accept my apologies, the last thing I wanted was to offend any fellow uke lovers. I'm new to UU and hope I can make up for it in time!
Thanks for the apology.

I'm sure many of us have experienced a tumbleweed moment with a joke we wish we hadn't told. I'm sure you didn't mean to cause offence.

Let's move on.

paraclete
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
@mailman and paraclet

We're good, Gipserio... apology accepted. :) Welcome to UU.

luvdat
01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I hate this as well, I have huge hands like a 12 spread on a piano 12 ring size and I can still play a sopranino.

Though I'm sick of people being "fitted for a uke" I never tire of hearing that myth debunked.

greg_usa
01-18-2010, 02:42 PM
"If you keep playing that uke - you're gonna get hairy palms and go blind!" ;o)

always_ukulele
01-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I like " what is an ukulele?" come on people everyone knows what it is, no matter whether you want to or not! admit it!