varying sounds from varying types of wood?

raecarter

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering what the different types of wood ukuleles are made of and how the sound varies amongst them. I'm aware there are mellow woods and bright sounding woods but am not sure what category the woods fall into? I have a solid mahogany kala and that sounds very mellow. If and when I buy another uke id like it to have a different sound so they are not similar. Hope your enlightened selves can help.

Hey everyone I was wondering what the different types of wood ukuleles are made of and how the sound varies amongst them. I'm aware there are mellow woods and bright sounding woods but am not sure what category the woods fall into? I have a solid mahogany kala and that sounds very mellow. If and when I buy another uke id like it to have a different sound so they are not similar. Hope your enlightened selves can help.

I found this interesting. It's on the Pono website. Scroll down to the discussion of woods:

http://www.koolauukulele.com/ponofaq.html

Also, for what it's worth, even mahogany instruments can sound slightly different from brand to brand.

I think in general harder woods sound cleanerand more defined with more sustain, and quieter. Softer woods seem to sound more open, loud, and airy.

Top Bottom