Ukuleles and Felis silvestris catus

Fitzy

Reaction score
So, our cat seems to have caught on to my ukulele obsession and knows something's up.
He pretty much sits in the corner and stares at me, day after day, while I surf the UU forums and the pages and pages of ukuleles on MGM's online store.
I've got my very first uke scheduled to arrive within the next week or two and I think the little fur ball knows it. He's got that look in his eye. I've seen it before. And I don't like it.
Now, knowing his propensity for trouble and getting into things, I want to make sure that cat and new ukulele co-exist peacefully. Of course, I plan to keep my new uke in its case when not in use, fully protected from prying little eyes - and claws. But I want to make sure I'm covering all the bases.
So, any advice or personal experience from any of you cat-owned ukers out there?

One of my beasties is particularly attatched to my uke love. Changing of strings, she and her little sister are right there. You know, helping.
But she's also increasingly attracted to the sound, seeing if she can make the sound. She's paw'd the strings herself at a few times. She likes to try to share my lap with the 'ukulele, but that's just jealous attention seeking behavior.

My cat is an amateur luthier who builds customs for his friends. His building style is a little unorthodox, because he doesn't have any fingers.

Our cat loves to listen to us play the uke. She even has favorite songs! She also likes laying in the case.

She comes from wherever she is to listen to us play. Now of course when my wife gets out her harmonica that's a whole different thing, cats don't like harmonica.

Cats are attracted to bone nuts and saddles. Our cats try to eat mine if I leave them lying around. On the other hand the cats do like it when I play "I'm looking over my dead dog Rover". It's their favorite song.

When grasped firmly at about the 5th to 7th fret, peghead down, even the daintiest of soprano ukes can make an adequate feline....repellant (swung properly, of course). =)

don't leave your uke case open while playing, the cat will take that as an invite. My flatmate's cat curled up inside my case while I was playing, and I didn't notice until it was too late. It took me a while to vacuum out the mess :(

(yes, I've got a pic somewhere)

As an aside, here's some kitty facts

When grasped firmly at about the 5th to 7th fret, peghead down, even the daintiest of soprano ukes can make an adequate feline....repellant (swung properly, of course). =)

Ha ha haa!!!
That's just awesome.

Our last cat was a real lover of classical music. Whenever I'd play guitar, he'd plop himself down in front of my music stand doing what I called the "Buddah-sit" sprawled on his haunches. Sometimes he would close his eyes and sway with the music. He was my biggest fan. :)

We "inherited" our current cat after my father-in-law died. At first she would run away and cower under the bathtub when I played. It took her over a year to even tolerate being in the same room when I play. But still, a few well-directed rasgueados and she'll leave.

Two of my cats don't care, but one of them hates it when I sing. He gets into my lap any way he can and trys to put his paw over my mouth. If he can't get into my lap, he meows as loudly as he can in protest. :)

Top Bottom