Friction Tuners

SamUke

Reaction score
My recent addition is a Loprinzi concert and it is awesome the only problem is that the tuning pegs slip. I have tightened the screws very tight and it seems they still slip. What are the best Friction tuners to buy, I really like the look and simplicity of them and the ones I have had in the past never seemed to have these problems. Seems Schallers are nice on Kamaka's but can't seem to find them any where.

In my opinion, I think any type of friction tuner "Sucks".......

I had a Uke once and one of the tuners would slip no mater how tight. I found that the ring closest to the head which supplies the friction was slipping against the wood. I took it off an found this ring had small ridges on the underside but still was unable to get a grip on the smooth finished suface. You may want to check it out. I'm using an iPhone so I apologize fif this seems short.

I like the tuners on the Kamakas. They have a big thumbscrew, which you can turn easily with a coin if you don't have a screwdriver handy. I could've sworn they were made by Schaller, but Ukulele World has a set of Grovers that look exactly like the tuners on the smaller Kamaka ukes: http://www.ukuleleworld.com/friction-tuning-pegs-grover-1w-thumb-lock-ivory-buttons.html

KoAloha used to use the Schaller/Grover type but they switched to these funky-looking things. They're among the best friction pegs out there, I think. If you like the look of these, drop MGM an email and see if he still has a set; he used to sell these tuners on eBay.

i had a lovely hand made uke for ten years with friction heads, they slipped so much and needed so much fiddling about with that i just gave up and let it sit in a case for 8 of those years, this year i dug it out and put friction heads on it and now i love it and have got right into uke, even bought three more!...my advice, if you can't get on with friction, sack 'em.

Edit I PUT GEARED HEADS ON IT

Last edited:
Do you mean you put geared heads on it?

Ditto.

Some say geared tuners make the uke top heavy.
... I'll still take that over monkeying around with friction tuners all the time.

Looks like Kala is giving up on them. I wish Ohana would follow.

Ditto.

... I'll still take that over monkeying around with friction tuners all the time.

Yes. Okay, I kind of feel the same way. I posted a question about the tuners on the KoAloha soprano; it seems the K brands only do a soprano with the traditional friction. But it also looks like they use a much higher quality tuner. Can anybody tell me if these are less a pain in the rear end than the ones on my Ohana's?

Yes. Okay, I kind of feel the same way. I posted a question about the tuners on the KoAloha soprano; it seems the K brands only do a soprano with the traditional friction. But it also looks like they use a much higher quality tuner. Can anybody tell me if these are less a pain in the rear end than the ones on my Ohana's?

Looks like Peghed turners are the way to go:
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=144
Unfortunately I can't rationalize paying that kind of $$ to put them on an Ohana. This has actually kept me from buying an Ohana soprano (except the Vita with geared tuners). I really like the Ohana zebrawood soprano, but upgrading tuners would add over 25% to the cost :(
I guess I'll have to wait for Kala to come out with something similar.
Ohana - are you listening?

I have no problems with my ukes that have good quality friction tuners on them. On the KoAloha's I think they use Gotah brand, not completely sure tho.

I have no problems with my ukes that have good quality friction tuners on them. On the KoAloha's I think they use Gotah brand, not completely sure tho.

This. (and I do believe they were previously Schallers which work just fine for me.)

It's a tuner. I still don't understand why some people get so worked up over friction tuners. It just seems kind of silly.

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised that the tuners on a Loprinzi would be slipping. They're not cheap instruments. Their website says they use Grovers. How are they slipping?

Don't know its the first time I have had a problem with friction tuners usually they are fine. Could be a bad set screw or tuner it self, I will probably just by a new set of Gotohs or Grovers; I have always been a aesthetics guy and think only tenor and above should have ears, my opinion though.

Friction tuners slip, they don't "suck".

On the other hand, I have a vacuum cleaner that really sucks.

What brand are they? I have a Koaloha with what I think are Schallers, they hold pretty well. Maybe it's time to try some compound on them.

The friction tuners on KoAlohas are really great. I'll be on my third KoAloha in mid-week and I've never had any sort of problem with them.

Could this possibly be a warranty issue? If the other friction tuners aren't slipping and work well, they may be willing to replace the tuner. Just a thought.

The standard tuners on the LoPrinzi look a lot like the kind on Flukes/Fleas. Those Grovers are alright, but I do think that the tuners on newer KoAlohas are better. Now that you guys mention it, the KoAloha tuners might be Gotoh. There are a few sets of them on Ukulele World that look pretty similar, and the fanciest Gotohs are still cheaper than Pegheds (if you want to keep real friction pegs). http://www.ukuleleworld.com/tuning-pegs-tuning-machines/

Ditto.

The whole top heavy thing can get overstated in my opinion. Man up!

Notice, BTW, how frequently that imbalance gets emphasized, even "demonstrated," with no reference to the tonal imbalances of ukes which feauture the "better for soprano" tuners.

Friction tuners are "better for soprano" only when the friction tuners are better...and even then?

Last edited:
I still don't understand why some people get so worked up over friction tuners. It just seems kind of silly.

That must be because you don't get worked up over them. Compared to say... health care, then yes, it is kind of silly. But when I'm trying to tune my uke, well partner, it ain't silly at all...:(

"Silly? My friction tuner hatred? You better smile when you say that. Or are you feeling lucky today?"--Dirty (Ukulele) Harry

Top Bottom