Bearing Sources

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
From what I've seen binding cutter bearings are offered from two luthier supply companies; StewMac and LMI. I like the wide assortment of bearings that LMI offers but don't care for the big cutting head. I like the StewMac outfit better but they don't have a good enough selection of bearing sizes.
Does anyone know of a source for miniature bearings that will fit the Stewmac cutter? I've done a Google search but I've gotten lost is the Bearing Cosmos amongst the bazillion bearings to choose from.
Mahalo.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron, I did check them. No luck. They offer sizes in 1/8" increments only. The ID needs to be 1/4" but I'm looking for an OD a bit bigger than 1/2". Somewhere around .550" or 17/32" or 9/16".
Somewhere I saw a YouTube video demonstrating binding cutting. In the video, the guy used thin copper tape (the kind used in stained glass making) to beef up a small bearing in order to get an exact size. I used aluminum tape, the type used for flashing I believe, an it immediately flew off the bearing. There is no source for copper tape on the Big Island and before I go ahead and order a roll I though I would see if I could find the size bearing I need to begin with.

When building some types of recumbent bicycles (delta trikes with solid rear axles), I have had to use pillow block bearings. One cheap source that I have ordered from is:

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/pillowblockbearing.html

I haven't ordered any in a couple of years, so I don't know they are still cheapest.

Thanks, I checked them too. Again, they only offer small roller bearings in sizes of 1/8" increments.
What Stew Mac does with their bearings is they all start with the same size bearing and they have different sized metal collars made in which the bearing are pressed into. I may be up against a brick wall here and will probably try to locate a source for some cooper tape.

If you know someone with a small lathe, it would be pretty simple for them to turn whatever size adapters or fittings you need. Perhaps one of them needs some expert luthier work in exchange.

Why don't you pm our friend Timbuck. He might be able to make you up a set of delrin bearings - I've seen this somewhere but can't think where. Oh and Ken is spot on accurate BTW... He trades.

Chuck, I buy all of my belts and bearings from Maguire Bearing. They have a store right down the street and looks like they have one in Hilo, too. The guys over here are always super helpful and they have all kinds of stuff besides bearings. Might want to give them a call. I only do wood bindings, so I don't need those funky sizes, but I think the might have what you're looking for.

http://www.maguirebearing.com/index.html

I've been to Maguires Paul, and yes they have one in Hilo. But it's the same story, they only have the in 1/8" increments.
It's not the binding width I'm having a problem with but rather the purfling width. I've located a source for some real nice narrow (040") pearl for purfling and while I really like the delicate look, it's throwing off the way I usually do things.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I guess in order to compete with the LMI bearing set, Stew Mac is FINALLY offering bearings in .010" increments. Dave, I would've never thought to check StewMac's website to find this out. They are listed as NEW sizes. It's a good day!!!!!!!
Now, to make things more confusing, StewMac is now offering their bearings to cut actual sized instead of .012" oversized (They add this extra thickness to allow for glue and wood swelling). So I have no idea what sizes I need to fill out my set. The entire set of 18 bearings including cutter is a pretty good deal at $135.

Last edited:
If you're find tuning with tape, you have to wind the tape in the correct direction to resist it coming loose.

Best solution is custom made bearing sleeves turned on a lathe. It's really no trouble at all on even a tiny metal lathe.

I encourage luthiers to learn elementary machine shop practice. Learn how to operate a lathe and milling machine. It will open up your world.

Top Bottom