walnut and redwood- walnut cutaway progress

lefty dan

Reaction score
Im trying to post photos hope it worked out.
So I closed the box on both the walnut cutaway and the walnut and redwood. I have a neck I was going to use on a repair but didn't need it so I set it next to my builds to show what I hope they will look like. Im not near the neck install yet but wanted to see what they would look like.
Anyway I thought Id share the photos.
Dan
uke019.jpg
uke018.jpg
uke017-1.jpg
uke016.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I cant wait to see what the back of the cutaway ends up looking like.
I was going to put bindings on it but I think I will leave it without bindings. Maybe I will put binding on the top only.

Holy smokes Dan those are gorgeous, I love the way the cutaway and your fretboard look together. Man you work fast too. I'd probably get more done of my dungeon wasn't froze over, I've got wood stored in two rooms in this tiny house and my kitchen is now the build room. But I'm starting on my redwood and walnut monday for sure.
Great Job Dan!

thanks Vic but the neck is just set there. I am not using that neck. Im also making a fret board as we speak. Today is my birthday and my wife got me a garage heater so I hope to get going soon.
Im getting ready to build a guitar soon. They are alot more expensive to build so Ive had to save.
I will keep the photos coming but its going to be slow from here.
Dan

I what to make a parlor all walnut guitar, front back and sides. HOG I think they call them. I have the plans already and am going to start making gigs and benders soon but----------- I may have to wait.

Today I started sanding the cutaway. As I did part of the rosette fell out. Its so small I couldn't put it back in. I took all of it out and tried to put new material in. The channel was not cut deep enough and I may have to figure something out. With the channel shallow I cant sand flush because then Im at the end of the rosette material and it comes out. Don't know if I explained that good enough but thats the deal.

So out of frustration I stopped and walked away for today. I cant make the channel deeper now because my gig requires me to cut the rosette first before the sound hole. Now the sound hole is cut,top is glued on and Im frustrated.

This is what makes us stronger !! I will figure something out or I will have to rip the top off. I have more walnut and also redwood. I was almost done. Wa wa wa.

I will post something with what I end up doing probably after I loose sleep over it.
Crap, time for a beer !!

Last edited:
O.K. Well I think I may have recovered. Put a new Rosette in and it looks OK I will mess with it some more and see.
I learned that if I want to do rosettes I must cut the channel deeper. I think I will go for nicer looking wood and omit the rosette on most of them in the future.
Will see.

Top Bottom