Chucking / Chunking...whatever you call it

Poggie

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the 'chunk' thing right. I strum with my fingers in a position similar to as if I was using a pick, could this be the issue? I've seen a couple of videos, but they aren't much help...

Any tips?

Thanks a lot.

Aldrine has a great tutorial on chunking. It's one of the earlier uke minutes I believe, but I'm not sure which. I think if you search for "chunking" on the main UU page it should come up with at least one vid.

Oh and Welcome to UU!!

Thanks guys - that video was useful! I can do it now! I feel warm inside.

Everyone will have a variation on this technique. For me, I Keep the strum (with 3 fingers) very light, or use my index finger lightly, and dampen (to get the chunk) with the fleshy bit of my palm at the base of the thumb. Its a nice sound, and I have to force myself not to over-use it - LOL. You can create any pattern you want, but just keep in time with the chunk spacings.

I'm getting there, too. I can chunk in a strum, but it still feels like an effort. Practice, grasshopper.

An alternative to chunking is playing in non-open positions, and letting the strings rise off the frets to mute them. That kills my left thumb, but I find it easier for the moment.

As the thread is titled, if it is called "chucking" then is the up stroke an "up-chuck"?

;-)

I call it chanking. Or boom-chuck. You can really swing with this technique. It's all about very short duration strums with immediate damping. Listen to more reggae!

WOW! I had no idea this had a name (<----NOOBIE!!) But I'm sooo excited!! AND, it introduced me to the Ukulele Underground youtube instructions! AAHHH! I'm in love all over again :)

Thanks UU!!!

Top Bottom