PDA

View Full Version : Can you play anything else?

ukulelearp
01-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Just curious how many people here have the ukulele as their only instrument. Any multi-instrumentalists around?

paw123los
01-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I can play (of course besides ukulele) guitar, 5 string banjo, tenor banjo, piano and a flute. But I'm not a professionalist on none of those instruments.

thomas
01-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I can play the radio...

leftovermagic84
01-16-2010, 10:24 AM
drums, about as well as I can play uke, which isn't saying much...

clayton56
01-16-2010, 10:33 AM
I can play (of course besides ukulele) guitar, 5 string banjo, tenor banjo, piano and a flute. But I'm not a professionalist on none of those instruments.

you mean, you can only play on one flute? What happens if you have to borrow somebody else's flute?

MartinLil
01-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I play guitar. Mostly folk, bluegrass and all around fingerpicking. I also play flamenco guitar, and do a little bit of classical. I play piano and spend most of my time of classical pieces. Tchaikovsky is my favorite. Then there is the uke. It is the most fun, rewarding instrument that I play! My musical expression could never be complete without it. It's definitely my number one and what I give most of my time to.

geoffsuke
01-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Just curious how many people here have the ukulele as their only instrument. Any multi-instrumentalists around?

i am awful at this, it's like a syndrome where i acquire instruments, learn them for a while and then get a new one. started with piano, got good enough to play the cool stuff like flur elise and the entertainer. then i moved onto the clarinet, which i played for about 4 years. then i got a guitar, which i love, got an acoustic and an electric now. and then i acquired a few little guitars, which the sharp ones among you might know as an ukulele. hehe it is quite useful being able to play four instruments to a decent enough level.

i strap the clarinet to my waist. the piano, i have to play with the feet. and there's a guitar in my left hand, and an ukulele...being strummed by the guitar, in my right.

Rick
01-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Percussion, Drumset, Piano, Guitar, a little Alto Sax.

haole
01-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Guitar, bass, drums, violin, mandolin, and didgeridoo. Consider me multi-untalented.

KoloheBoy
01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Guitar, Keyboards/piano, bass, percussion

ukulelearp
01-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I should probably answer my own question. I play ukulele, guitar, mandolin, bass, harmonica, and drums.

grammy
01-16-2010, 11:24 AM
i play the fool.

theukuleleman
01-16-2010, 11:32 AM
i drum guiatar ukulele didgeridoo sitar banjo bagpipes and soon to start charango

didgeridoo2
01-16-2010, 11:34 AM
As my name implies, I play didgeridoo. Focus quite a bit on traditional styles, although I've been focused on ukulele since august. My didges have collected a bit of dust in the last 4 months. My wife saw me spend quite a bit on importing artifacts from australia to now focus on collecting ukuleles. :\

pulelehua
01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Guitar decently, sax not too bad, piano fumblingly, accordion with flair, vihuela with pizazz (sp?), drums quite badly, the flugelhorn miserably, banjo with inappropriate technique, the bass like all guitarists do (hey, it's got 2 less strings!). that's about it... the general point: jack of many, jake of none ;)

Nuprin
01-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Play drums pretty well (been playing for about 20 years), can handle rhythm guitar fine (terrible at solos), I can fake my way on bass and I can get by on piano.

Pete Beardsley
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
i play the fool.

Beat me to it! :rofl:

Nah, Uke is my first attempt to play anything really.

StereoJoker
01-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Ukulele, guitar, mandolin, piano, xylophone, kalimba, bongos, harmonica, clarinet, Kiowa flute, recorder, tinwhistle. I consider my skill level on all of these to be nothing more than mediocre, but whatever.

My roommate promised to give me crash courses on violin and cello, so I might have a couple more I can add later on :).

Pippin
01-16-2010, 01:51 PM
ukuleles, guitar, bass, harmonica, pennywhistle, recorder, baroque flute, bow psaltery, keyboards, various drums, tenor guitar... a few more obscure instruments.

SamWise
01-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I play guitar well, bass well, djembe and darabuka reasonably well, harmonica reasonably well mandolin reasonably well. These are pretty much the only instruments I'd feel happy "jamming" with. If I have time to learn something, then also lap steel guitar, tin whistle, button accordion, folk flute, and other things I'm certainly forgetting. I love to play things!

Thumper
01-16-2010, 02:02 PM
I earned a living as a drummer for many years, and still play professionally. I play keyboards well enough to write music, but not good enough to perform.

paraclete
01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
in order of when I learned.... violin, piano, guitar, bass, drums, ukulele. Tried to learn trumpet.... managed a Bb scale. Tried to learn clarinet... gave up after about 5 minutes. I prefer instruments that don't involve a lot of hot air. And I suppose those should be subcategorized too... rhythm and lead rock/blues guitar, pretend to play classical guitar on a guitar that is worth way more than I deserve (jose Ramirez). And upright double bass and electric bass. Somewhere in there, I had to learn the cello, though I've pretty much forgotten everything I learned about that. Yeah, I was a secondary music ed major at one point.

Oh, and the kazoo....

pdxuke
01-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Clarinet, 40 years; guitar 45 years. Uke, 1 year, and it's my favorite!

kendra
01-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I also play guitar, a little bass, fumbling piano, glockenspiel, and I am great with the egg shaker! :) Several years back I formed a female barbershop quartet and I feel that we "played' with our vocal harmony. When you can get really tight harmonies, it is like all four gals are one instrument!

scottie
01-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I play the guitar and bass guitar, both pretty well as well as an assortment of hand drums in addition to the ukulele

berylbite
01-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Trombone was my first instrument, then I delved into drums, ukulele, guitar, bass, piano, mandolin, and concertina, now I've taken to collecting instruments and learning to play them abit. The ukulele will forever be my number one though.

Zaza The Rebel
01-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Acoustic guitar well, piano well, harmonica okay...can't think of anything else though.

Brewerpaul
01-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I play (and make) pennywhistles-- I play them in a little Irish/Scottish band, where I also play Irish flute and mandolin. http://shenanigansband.blogspot.com/
I'm pretty good on guitar,recorder (my wife and I were formerly in a semi-pro Baroque ensemble). I can get around on harmonica. Very mediocre on piano,fiddle. I have a fair number of other "ethnic flutes" such as Shakuhachi,Quena,Xun,Native American, etc which are loads of fun to play around with.
I'm pretty new to uke, but I think I do fairly well since many years of guitar skills have transferred over to my soprano and tenor (low G). Except the chords are all wrong... ;-)

Melissa82
01-16-2010, 04:44 PM
If I got a kazoo, I think I could rock it, lol.

Back in the day I used to play the alto sax.

lernon
01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I play Piano, bit of guitar, bit of bass, viola, and frenchhorn

Doctroid
01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
To some degree or another -- generally not a high degree -- piano, clarinet family (esp. bass clarinet), recorder, pennywhistle, melodeon, anglo concertina, hand drum, uke.

Providence
01-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Violin I have 9 years of experience with it.

Hobgoblin Steve
01-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Drummer, 10 years experience, played in alot of prog-rock bands and metal bands.

Dallas Pursley
01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Guitar, up until I fractured my left wrist and the Native American Flute although I don't have one in my possession currently.

kenikas
01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
I've played guitar on and off for about 40 yrs, Ki Ho'alu pretty much exclusively for the past 15 yrs or so. Picked up the uke last August so my grandkids and I would have instruments we can play together and now have 5 of them in the house. UAS is real!!

paw123los
01-16-2010, 08:44 PM
you mean, you can only play on one flute? What happens if you have to borrow somebody else's flute?

Naaah .. I don't borrow flutes :)

Sir
01-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I can get a tune out of most things, but I spend most of days at or near a piano with a guitar and ukulele close by.

itsme
01-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Classical guitar, mandolin. Used to play flute/sax.

Ahnko Honu
01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
A mid 20th century instrument known as the 8-Track

ogikloavailable
01-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Ukulele is the newest (4months)
Others are Guitar (2 years), Drum (4 years) ,Bass (4 years)

Manalishi
01-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Guitar,(six and twelve string) acoustic and electric.Harmonica,Keyboards,and of course Kazoo!

Hastour
01-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Rhythm guitar, pennywhistle and some harmonica.

AverseBliss
01-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I can play guitar, bass, and am learning melodica/keyboard type things. I prefer ukulele over all of these though.

buddhuu
01-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Uke
Mandolin
Fiddle
Tin whistle
Bodhran
Bouzouki
tenor banjo
Guitar
Bass guitar
Harmonica

The list looks impressive at first sight, but I'm mediocre at all of them. Master of none. :(

SamD
01-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Uke and piano accordion are my two main instruments. Can also play some flute, tin whistle, recorder, guitar and djembe. Some limited skill on piano and didge, and have dabbled in mandolin and concertina. My next acquisition will probably be a mando. I'd love to get a concertina, but they're so darn expensive!

heyjude
01-17-2010, 05:08 AM
I can play a few tunes on guitar, dobro, lap steel, fiddle, mandolin, mountain dulcimer, pick'n stick (strumstick), banjo, fiddle, harmonica, xaphoon and shakuhachi.

Jude

Ukukachoo
01-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm a so so harmonica player, and a half ass ukulele player.

Nikadocious
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Flute
Alto Saxophone
Bass Guitar
Turntables
Acoustic and Electric Guitar
Ukulele

pulelehua
01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
This will be too late for most of you, but:

a fun game is to look at someone's name, and their avatar, then try to guess which instruments they play. I did well on Pippin! And Buddhuu. I didn't think bazouki, but wasn't surprised to see it.

There was this bloke at my school. "You should learn ukulele," I said to him. "You look like someone who should play the ukulele." He didn't even blink. "Mate, I teach the ukulele."

Like old men and their dogs.............................................

ambrose
01-18-2010, 10:25 AM
In descending order of competence:
Drums (professionally)
percussion, particularly Ghanaian and a bit of afro cuban
Ukulele
Marimba/vibraphone
dobro/lap steel guitar
guitar
bass guitar

Mim
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I play a bit o' piano (enough to fake-play through jazz band), played the mallet percussion in band (xylophone, etc.), play the guitar (with more skills in classical than anything), and I play a mean nose-flute. And of course the Uke... which is the best of all!

Oh, and some Harmonica. That too!

hawaiianmusiclover06
01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Besides playing the 'ukulele, I also play the piano

iDavid
01-18-2010, 11:46 PM
guitar, bass, hand-drums, native American flute, and radio

Richie23
01-19-2010, 12:33 AM
15 years ago it was - Digereedoo, which I used to busk with, then some really bad playing on the Tin Whistle, Recorder, Harmonica. Then nothing for a long while.
10 years ago - Acoustic Guitar for a couple of years, which I really enjoyed.
Last couple of years - Ukulele, Melodica, Acoustic and electro-acoustic Guitar.

Future - As a bad case of UAS has kicked in, so more Ukulele, plus I have a new electric guitar on its way

franulele
01-19-2010, 12:52 AM
My major instrument is trombone, although I'm taking a break from it right now. I'm a music teacher so I can noodle around on most any woodwind (terrible at oboe & bassoon though), brass or percussion instrument. I also play a bit of dulcimer, folk guitar, electric bass, and piano. However, ukulele is by far the most fun!

nohandles
01-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't play nearly as many as I use to but here is the list Upright bass, Guitar, banjo, mountain dulcimer, mandolin, chirango and bodhran, wish I had kept up with the others.

always_ukulele
01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
nope, never tried anything else but uke, but i can't really play that yet either. :)

cpatch
01-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Does the Wii count?

StereoJoker
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm surprised how many other ukers play Native American flutes and didgeridoos. I conclude that uke players are a super rad group.

DogBisquit
01-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Accordion, but not in the past few years. Not since the ukulele came into my life.
Started with trombone back in grade school, and there's always been a piano in the house.

MGM
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
I play guitar, ukulele, piano, synth, bass, drums, percussion congas and timbales, accordian, flute, clarinet, trombone, Baritone, Tuba, autoharp, Nitendo, Xbox and Playstation and oh yeah WII, golf

thejumpingflea
01-19-2010, 12:17 PM
A bit of guitar, piano, saxophone, clarinet, tenor banjo and I just started the cello.

Oh, and I play a mean radio.

kilaana
01-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Piano, guitar, dulcimer, hammered dulcimer, banjo, violin, and uke! But for some reason I find the uke to be much more addictive than all the others... why is that?

strings
01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
I play and in some cases try to play Guitar, Puerto Rican Cuatro, Recorder, Bongos, Guiro, harmonica, Violin....and am new to the Ukulele

dianalele
01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
One of the fun- and slightly ridiculous- things about being a music education major is that at the end of 4 years of college, you are certified to teach K-12 MUSIC. And that means EVERYTHING! Band, orchestra, chorus, theory, music history, jazz, general music, etc.

So even though my major instrument is violin, in college I have learned (to the extent of being able to teach, but not perform professionally):
piano
trumpet
trombone
french horn
drums and other percussion instruments
viola
cello
bass
clarinet
saxophone
flute
oboe

And then outside of school I also play the uke (obviously), guitar, and accordion

I'm a bit of an instrument enthusiast.. lol.

schubs
01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
I also play the marimba, agogo bells, vibroslap, guerro, shaker, chimes, rain stick, cow bell, and drums.

Ron
01-19-2010, 06:31 PM
....the fool? Oh - trumpet, bit of guitar.

mds725
01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I played the clarinet, and later the alto clarinet and bass clarinet, from third grade through college, and I taught myself a little piano in high school. Now I play the melodica.

bnicholas26
01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
french horn, mellophone, flugelhorn, cornet, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, sax, piano.

homEsick
01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
guitar
bass
piano
glock & xylophone
melodica
recorder
drum set
ukulele
garageband and fruity loops, esque stuff. not really an instrument, but it's there fwiw

i really want to learn to play banjo, flugelhorn, bodhran, mandolin, accordion, cello, and clarinet. out of those, i'll probably only learn banjo, mandolin, and accordion though. i'd say i'm best at drums, then guitar, then uke, then keys. i really want to buy a toy piano. i love cheap instruments. my glock was $11. my melodica was about the same. im playing a lanikai 21 right now. i also want to buy a microkorgXL, which aint so cheap. oh, and a megaphone. i also like to make sounds come out of instruments the way they weren't properly meant to be played. i whack my uke and guitar a lot. i "try" on violin, but it souns like a banshee. i like using analog recording and amps to make weird sounds. vox fx on guitar, and vice versa.

i love music :)