High 'G' vs Low 'G' is ther a big difference

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
So I have these 2 beginner Uku's that I love to play. I also have a mainland Concert in the works, Long Story. 1 of my Low end Uku's only a week old and I think the strings should be changed. So I was thinking maybe I would string it with low 'G'.

Now my questions. I don't know a thing about low "G". Do I need different tab's for a low 'g' song vs a high '
G'? I don't know much about music but I do realize that there is a difference. Can anyone tell me if this is a bad Idea since My lack of music knowledge? The more you can tell me the better. As always, thank you for all of your comments in advance.

Be well.

Low G and high G use the same chords in strumming, but in melody picking you'll need to re-evaluate. For the cost of a set of strings it never hurts to experiment, low G gives a radically different sound for only a few bucks. give it a shot, what do you have to lose?

it should be for the most part the same stuff in your tabs, it might even be better for strumming and singing for the lower resonance, and it gives you a bit more range.

(i'm a low g player if you didn't notice)
but yea, go for it, see how you like it.

Big thanks to the both you for sharing that on this board! I think I may try ordering one, but I can't help but feel silly having a single string mailed to me all the way from Hawaii xD
If it makes you feel silly just getting one string, get one of his sampler packs too. It's a great way to try different types of strings on your uke!

Big thanks to the both you for sharing that on this board! I think I may try ordering one, but I can't help but feel silly having a single string mailed to me all the way from Hawaii xD

Don't worry, the postal service's planes and trucks and mailmen are making their appointed rounds whether you order a string or not. It's really no trouble for them to add it to the pile.

High 'G' vs Low 'G' is ther a big difference

Yes, one octave.
Sorry I'll go back to sleep now.

If you have multiple ukes, there's no reason not to string one up with a low G and give it a try! Some things sound better with high G and some work better with low G. You'll figure it out soon enough.

If you have multiple ukes, there's no reason not to string one up with a low G and give it a try! Some things sound better with high G and some work better with low G. You'll figure it out soon enough.

This makes sp complete sence. Thanks.

Top Bottom