Any preparation before gigs?

ogikloavailable

Reaction score
I'm goin to do several live perform next month,and that will be my first time ever (so nervous):eek:.
So i wanna ask you guys, what things you prepare before gigs ?
I mean anything. It could be like "i tuned my uke" or "i always bring my ex to gig,so i'm not nervous" haha
Thanks before,your post would be helpful for me/us in here :D

Just have all your belongings packed so you can leave town in a hurry if need be.

Ok, that's a joke. My advice would be - extra strings - I have seen strings break onstage. Bring a second uke if you have one. If you bring extra, then it's insurance - nothing will go wrong with your primary.

If you're singing, you have to belt it out - don't shrink back. If you're nervous, use it. Take the nervous energy and fling it back to the audience through your performance.

Gig Check List

Here's a copy of an article I did for a music blog a couple of years ago. Covers a few things about preparing for gigs:

This time we present an exercise in stating the obvious. The following advice is so basic that no one should need it pointed out to them. On the other hand, the problems we are trying to eliminate do happen, so clearly this stuff isn’t obvious to everyone.

Even bands who have been gigging for years sometimes find themselves caught out by unforeseen hitches. The old “be prepared” motto is a good one to adopt in any situation, but when you’re getting ready to play music in front of an audience you’d be crazy not to check that you’re fully tooled-up for the job before you leave the house.

Here are a few aids to memory. Requirements vary, so adapt the list as you will.

Check:
  • time and venue for gig!
  • condition of strings
  • condition of leads
  • batteries in effects, tuners, mics, preamps etc
Don’t forget:
  • map if you need it
  • tuner
  • picks
  • songbooks/cheatsheets
  • cables
  • drumsticks
  • gig diary (someone may offer you another gig)
  • any knives, allen keys, wrenches or tools you may need to make vital adjustments to instruments or gear
Have spares for:
  • strings
  • picks
  • cables and leads
  • batteries
  • fuses
  • drumsticks
That last category alone probably covers 80% of the problems that crop up at most small gigs. You may not have ever broken a string, but you will do at your first gig if you don’t take spares. It’s called Murphy’s Law, and it is a fundamental principle of nature. “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong”, so make sure you have what you need to fix it!

The other thing is to make sure you check stuff while there’s still time to sort it out. It’s no good finding that you have a broken string and no spares just before setting out for the gig at an hour when all the music stores are closed. Check early: give yourself time to fix stuff.

For club gigs, be sure to bring at least one extra power strip and/or extension chord, and a couple of these guys:

970618_sk_lg.jpg

(Or whatever the equivalent might be in your neck of the international woods.)

Nothing worse than sitting there with your keyboard or amp or whatever that has a three-prong plug, and facing a stage pull of old-school, ungrounded two-prongers. (They're also handy for solving ground-loops.)

Also, if you're reading music on outdoor gigs, bring clips to keep the pages from blowing all over the place.

JJ

something that is involve sin
and sin my friend, makes your luck decrease lol
this is very superstitious lol

To add to buddhu's list...slap on some Brut cologne!!!

The not trying too hard, who cares if I meet someone or if this is a "babe magnet/clubbing scent" approach to things will provide just enough jerk factor to balance this equation.

In short, relax...

"Trying too hard" isn't just a turn off to women...

To add to buddhu's list...slap on some Brut cologne!!!

The not trying too hard, who cares if I meet someone or if this is a "babe magnet/clubbing scent" approach to things will provide just enough jerk factor to balance this equation.

In short, relax...

"Trying too hard" isn't just a turn off to women...

Okay thanks :D

Top Bottom