Kala Exotic Flamed Mahogany Soprano vs. Kala Thinline/Travel Mahog Soprano

I would get the seller to play them over the phone and buy the better-sounding one. :D

I'm imagining that the Thinline would sound louder and punchier, due to its thin body and solid spruce top.
The mahogany models would sound mellower and gentler, due to their relatively larger body and laminate tops.

But the only real way to decide is to listen to samples.
musicguymic does have a Youtube account demonstrating the sounds of many ukuleles. I wonder if he has sound samples for these models?

I'm imagining that the Thinline would sound louder and punchier, due to its thin body and solid spruce top.
The mahogany models would sound mellower and gentler, due to their relatively larger body and laminate tops.

But the only real way to decide is to listen to samples.
musicguymic does have a Youtube account demonstrating the sounds of many ukuleles. I wonder if he has sound samples for these models?

Yes MGM has a youtube video with the Kala Flame Mahogany and it has a pick up in it. Sounds great, in fact almost bought it! It is a beautiful instrument PLUS it comes with that famous MGM service!!!

Thanks all. I did listen in on MGM and healso has a FM soprano sound preview that sounds pretty nice...

I was considering both, and ended up with the Flame Mahogany based on looks. I'm a big fan of terrific looking wood and although spruce is very good acoustically, it's kinda boring looking. Besides, I have a Lanikai spruce top tenor (love it) and the spruce travel soprano would look too similar for my tastes.
I considered the size of the travel uke, but figgered that a soprano is pretty travel sized already.
Ive been very happy with my choice.

I was considering both, and ended up with the Flame Mahogany based on looks. I'm a big fan of terrific looking wood and although spruce is very good acoustically, it's kinda boring looking. Besides, I have a Lanikai spruce top tenor (love it) and the spruce travel soprano would look too similar for my tastes.
I considered the size of the travel uke, but figgered that a soprano is pretty travel sized already.
Ive been very happy with my choice.

I just ordered 2 of the Flame Mahogany sopranos.

BTW, I own 2 of the Kala 15-S's already. One of them is noticeably lighter than the other...and is a tonemonster, lol...no seriously, louder more responsive. I like when that happens for $43. Definitely a Kala fan.

Last edited:
Yes MGM has a youtube video with the Kala Flame Mahogany and it has a pick up in it. Sounds great, in fact almost bought it! It is a beautiful instrument PLUS it comes with that famous MGM service!!!

To your ears, do these FM Kalas sound inbetween a mahog and a koa? I'm not joking. I am NOT saying they sound "as good" as a QUALITY solid wood, but that they have their own voice...

Top Bottom