Amazaque/Ovangkol

drumgerry

Reaction score
I've gone on a bit of a wood buying frenzy in the last little while. My latest acquisition is a set of back and sides in Amazaque in soprano size. Does anyone have any experience of this wood in uke or other instrument making?

It has nice straight grain so I suspect it'll be not too bad to hand bend. Can anyone suggest a nice matching soundboard? Something that'll sound good in soprano size and won't look too mad in combination with the Amazaque. My instinct would be to use WR cedar but I don't know if that would work in soprano size.

Cheers

Gerry

I saw a Washburn guitar made from Ovangkol with a Spruce, beautiful guitar with awesome sound. If difficult to bend maybe a candidate for a pineapple. :cool:

Hehe it was always destined to be a pineapple anyway. According to LMI it is reasonably easy to bend so am I afraid? Naa - it can't be worse than the set of beautiful flamed maple guitar sides I trashed the first time I tried to hand bend. If it's workability is similar to rosewood then it shouldn't be too bad.

No more suggestions for a matching top? If not then cedar it's going to have to be!

Cheers

Gerry

Top Bottom