Cordoba 20TM-CE

thatguywiththeukulele

Reaction score
does anyone have the cordoba 20tm-ce do you like it?

Just got one, I second all the positive comments. I'm thinking that Aquilas are little hard for this pickup and sounds a little too "bright" to me. I plan on trying Worth Clears or Browns. That aside, well worth the money, especially if you get a used one at a great price.
2/16: Update: Am getting used to playing it and am improving technique and learning to adjust the eq and the amp It sounds quite good unplugged, and I am thrilled with it considering the price. Would buy it again at Retail? Maybe. The finish is flawless. Tuners hold tune well, but could use replacing. Note: Just discovered they are Der Jung tuners made in Taiwan. There is a ribbed pattern to the chrome tuning machines that has some "bubbled" chome, but you have to have magnifier to see it....with the naked eye, it just appears a little discolored. The intonation is spot on and I hear that desireable "ring" in the upper registers. The pickup doesn't have many features, but my amp does, so it gets the job done. Has that "finger thump" common i saddle pickups with some ukes, espcially if bad technique used or eq/amp not ajusted right. With solid mahogany top, I give this uke a big thumbs up and suggest it's a great buy in the "under $200 acoustic electric tenor uke" category.

If anyone knows the size of the peghead holes on these babies, please let me know. I'd rather not remove a tuner to find out before ordering the Grover replacement.

Last edited:
Just bought it last weekend. Awesome when played acoustically. Tried two in the store. I bought the new one instead of the display. The tuning machines are a little temperamental on this one. Everything said about Uke is true......great fit/finish, intonation, solid wood, made in Portugal. When plugged in, my C string is a little overbearing on my acoustic amp. I may have to do some eq'ing on this.

I don't have the 20TM-CE - I have the 20TM. Both are tenor mahogany, and I believe have the same tuners, as well as bone nut and saddle.. The TM-CE has a cutaway, and the pickup. I tried the TM-CE at a Guitar center, but didn't want a pickup in my first ukulele, so I passed on it.

I do like the tone and feel of the 20TM, and the couple of blemishes I noted (and the two glue marks inside) do nothing to detract from the instrument. My Kala is a little louder, and a little more mellow, but the Cordoba is just fine. It isn't a "beater", but it is fun to play, and a lot of bang for the buck.

I would surmise that the 20 TM-CE would be just as nice an instrument.

-Kurt

Well, I live in Canberra, Australia, and have had 3 Cordoba ukes thus far.

The first was a 20TM. It cost me about AUD$ 150. I loved this beaut. Two things that concerned me were: a) it buzzed on the first string on the first 5 frets, which I could not fix; b) ONE of its tuning pegs slacks everytime one tried to lower the tension. Other than that, it was a nice uke. I sold it at AUD$140.

Then I bought a semi electric 20TM-CE from Melbourne. It was a bit dearer. Now, 3 of its tuning pegs slack! I was about to surmise that one of Cordoba's weaknesses is its tuning pegs. However, this uke's playability is satisfactory. I love it. I bought it a good hard case because I intend to keep it as long as I could. I first replaced the standard strings with clear Worth strings, now I am now using a low G Worth strings and it plays better. I like it this way.

Two weeks ago I won an auction for a Cordoba 25SK all solid koa, and the uke finally arrived last week. Boy, it is a beauty wi h perfect tuning pegs--no problem whatever! Cute, stunning with its rope edge, this uke sounds just beautiful in Aquila. Still, I plan to replace them with Mahana strings.

The first was a 20TM. It cost me about AUD$ 150. I loved this beaut. Two things that concerned me were: a) it buzzed on the first string on the first 5 frets, which I could not fix; b) ONE of its tuning pegs slacks everytime one tried to lower the tension. Other than that, it was a nice uke. I sold it at AUD$140.

Then I bought a semi electric 20TM-CE from Melbourne. It was a bit dearer. Now, 3 of its tuning pegs slack! I was about to surmise that one of Cordoba's weaknesses is its tuning pegs. However, this uke's playability is satisfactory. I love it. I bought it a good hard case because I intend to keep it as long as I could. I first replaced the standard strings with clear Worth strings, now I am now using a low G Worth strings and it plays better. I like it this way.

I think Cardoba is one of those under priced good uke. In situation like this, would tighten up the screw help? If no, what about replacing the tuner? I don't really know the answer. :confused:

Last edited:
I purchased one of the Cordoba 20TM's and ended up returning it.

Things I liked - Well built, good intonation, nice satin finish and solid wood.
Things I didn't like: Poor quality tuners and the overall sound.

For the price it's a good deal on a solid wood instrument, but don't expect to get the sound quality of a slightly higher end solid topped uke. My Kala cedar topped uke blew it out of the water for tone, volume, sustain, tuners... although at a little more than twice the price. The Cordoba did have a nicer finish and if I had to go one way or the other with intonation, I'd go with the Cordoba but that was about it. In that price range I would look to solid cedar/spruce topped ukes with laminate back and sides before making a decision.

As far as I know, neither the 20TM nor 20TM-CE is solid wood. Its neck/headstock is , but not the body. :eek:

Erratum

Hmm, here's just to correct myself: each a has solid mahogany TOP with laminated sides and backs.

I also have the 20TM-CE. I do like it. But I'm still on the hunt for the right strings.

I think the action might be a little high. So I'm gonna have the local shop take a look soon.

A added pegs at the butt and neck for a guitar strap.

I agree with all the comments about the tuners. If you're sharp you have to tune fairly flat and tune UP to being in tune. But you should really do that anyway.

But at this price they have to save $$$ somewhere. So I guess the tuners are as good as place as any. I'll probably get them replaced at some point. Those Peghead tuners are looking pretty cool. What's the price on those?

I've had mine for a few months now. I did have to have the action lowered on mine but that is the only problem I've had so far. I haven't had any problems with mine staying in tune. I practice daily for 20 minutes to an hour or more and it stays in tune for days at a time.

The most common size hole is 5/16, which is 8mm. Compare a set of Grovers with a set of PEGHEDS at $53 which includes insured first class postage.
www.PEGHEDS.net

Did you get real Hawaiian Acacia koa or Cordoba's Portugese koa?

I have a set of Hilo low g's I got from Mele. Sounds great, but wound low g string rusted quickly. Does not have a bone nut or saddle. I think it sounds great now, wonder how good it will sound with bone. Will try a set of low-g's with a wound string that won't rust so easily and replace tuners. Had it for quite a while now and still love it's sound. I do wish it was a concert size.

Top Bottom