Need a special uke for a live theater production...recommendations?

EricStetson

Reaction score
Hi guys, I write scores for films and theatrical productions around the southeast, and occasionally I get the opportunity to do live music if a show's director wants that/schedules don't conflict, etc. This one is through a college theater department - they're putting up "The Curate Shakespeare's As You Like It" - a hilarious adaptation of one of Shakespeare's great plays. (Basically a rag-tag group of 7 players try to fill the roles of 33 speaking members of the play, all who have various mental issues and nervous habits, what results is really funny stuff.)

So - down to the juicy bits: I'm on the hunt for a uke [preferably a baritone] that looks as closely to a Renaissance lute, oud, or bouzouki as possible. I'd need it in the next couple weeks if it were to be used in the show, which goes up Feb. 26 - March 6th. The show doesn't have a big budget (neither do I) so if anyone is looking to sell off a pear/teardrop shape then I'm all ears. If anyone represents a business/website and could offer a discount you would have advertising at the event which I could confirm.

Anybody know of a place I should look? Dave G - you have anything in the works that fits the description?

Thanks,

-Eric Stetson
Virtus Nobilitat Omnia

I have something that would work, but I'm not giving it up quite yet. It's a guitar, not uke, but of course the four high strings would be the same as a baritone. Just ignore the bottom two for now.

http://www.troubadour.uk.com/

What about an Ohana Vita uke? I believe they're soprano sized and the back is flat instead of rounded. But they are somewhat pear-shaped, not too expensive, and available from Elderly and MGM.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/msg/2202934220.html

How about a Violin Uke!?!? Completely wacky and offbeat. Check the link for pics.... Not my ad by the way.

I have one of these as well as three ukelins. They were sold by door to door salesmen in the twenties and thirties. The violin Uke is tuned to the key of g and is much smaller than the ukelin which is tuned to the key of c. There are strings you play with a bow and a course of strings which are tuned to four chords than run below the bowed strings. The resonance that come off of the chord strings when bowing the top strings is amazing and haunting. Loreena Mckennitt plays a ukelin on her Elemental album. Terrific with songs in minor key.

Top Bottom