Amp w/Battery Suggestions

brUKEman

Reaction score
I' have my New uke on order with a K & K pickup on it. I am looking for a small Amp (Electric & Battery) which I can use for home use playing, and outdoors (using Battery) during the summertime for BBQ's & such. I've been leaning toward the Vox DA10. I kind of like this one better than the Roland Micro Cube & Pignose. Anyone have any experience with these or any other suggestions. Trying to get the cleanest sound I can and keep it under $200. Thanks..

I don't have any experience with the Vox DA10, but I have the DA5. Good amp. Does everything I want it to, except take AA batteries. (Actually I could, but adaptors are annoying to work with.)

I have two Roland Microcubes, b/c their amps are just indestructible, and I love them. Plus it takes AA batteries.

Both have good clean sounds, although you really need to turn up the master volume on Clean1 and Clean2 settings to get any substantial volume out of the Vox units.

Personally, I'd say that I like the Microcube a little better, just because it's slightly smaller, and the speaker is super efficient. But if you're going for the DA10, and playing BBQs, size clearly isn't really that important to you, in fact, bigger is better. So I think that the DA10 would be a good choice for you.

I like the Rolands also but for just amplifing the "pure uke sound" I still need to decide. I see reviews and see clips online but they are all done with guitars. Was just looking for a uke player who had one.
I like to play uke while being accompanied by my wife on the Piano, but the piano is always so much louder than the uke and it is hard to hear myself playing.

I played with a friend's little pignose amp a while back, and I thought it was the coolest thing, and sounded great with a uke -- for around $60 delivered (ebay) you really can't complain. IMO, I really appreciate the simplicity, and it's alot louder than you would guess. Once you get your uke, go play at the local GC and compare -- have fun!

I have a little Crate - about the size of the Roland microcube - I can't say anything at all comparitively, but the price was sure right ($50 - on sale at Guitar Center) and it has lots of control over the sound...my son uses it to fiddle with his electric guitar and for that purpose it works just great.

Top Bottom