banjolele???

greg_usa

Reaction score
Hey Gang - I was going to post this in 'buying tips' - but I wanted to get people's thoughts overall rather than just specific brand advice.

How does banjoele fit into everyone's collection? I LOVE the sound of a banjo. When I first heard about a Banjolele - I was like - wow- I'd be able to essentially play the banjo without having to learn a whole new instrument.

Anyway - anyone have thoughts? Does it sound very much like a regular banjo? Is it seamless transition to play if you're aleady able to finger pick and strum on a regular uke? Are they as cool as I imagine? LOL!

And lastly - what are some price range optins and brands out there. Is there any brand and model that stands out as a good bang for the buck above the rest?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I see the music shop where I bought my uke has something called a 'Cumbus Ukulele' for $160. Anyone familiar with this brand or uke?
Cumbus Ukulele w/21" length, 19 fixed metal frets 4 metal strings each; two of which are wound, nut to bridge length of 12.5 inches. The body has a 9 inch diameter and is 4 inches deep.

They also have the 'Recording King Metal Uke' for $299.
Description: RECORDING KING RU-998 RESONATOR UKULELE & CASE! Metal body concert uke features nickel-plated brass body with a polished nickel finish, 6" biscuit bridge cone, mahogany neck, bound fingerboard and more!

Let me know what you think!

Does it sound very much like a regular banjo?

Ask this guy:

One thing I don't like about 'em is they're impossible to play quietly.

Resonator ukes sound a little like banjos but more like what you'd be used to hearing in a resonator guitar. It's kind of the same principle, just applied differently. (Sorry, I know that makes no sense and is of almost no help, but that's the only way I can describe it.) Resonator ukes also weigh a ton.

--Mark

I see the music shop where I bought my uke has something called a 'Cumbus Ukulele' for $160. Anyone familiar with this brand or uke?
Cumbus Ukulele w/21" length, 19 fixed metal frets 4 metal strings each; two of which are wound, nut to bridge length of 12.5 inches. The body has a 9 inch diameter and is 4 inches deep.

They also have the 'Recording King Metal Uke' for $299.
Description: RECORDING KING RU-998 RESONATOR UKULELE & CASE! Metal body concert uke features nickel-plated brass body with a polished nickel finish, 6" biscuit bridge cone, mahogany neck, bound fingerboard and more!

Let me know what you think!

I had a cumbus (pronounced "JIM-bes") and didn't like it. Got it off Ebay. the frets were sharp on the edges and it just didn't play like a regular banjolele. I now own a Gold Tone and love it. Mainland will have a banjo uke soon, I'm told.

i have the gold tone banjolele as well. it's a beautiful instrument but can be on the loud side. that's a good thing if you're looking to really project, but bad if you're playing with a group of other regular uke players and don't want to drown them out.

also have a Dixie banjolele that's all metal, smaller in size and open back (no resonator). they don't make them anymore but you can find them used on ebay for under $100.

Played a Goldtone soprano(?) size last week. Loud. Fun. Banjoey. Thought the price was about right. Did not buy...yet.

That Mr.B is awesome. I can't stop watching it.

Hi:

I just got a Bean Sprout Uke, and it's a banjolele. I'm finding it REALLY easy to play, and I'm finding I can play it quietly. I'm just learning to play it clawhammer style, but it's coming along nicely. It's an exquisite instrument, and the customer service from the people who craft them is great!! Check them out.

Thanks guys! Looks like the Goldtone has a regular (no resonator) and deluxe (with a resonator). Any suggestions there? I'm not very familiar on how the resonator changes the sound. Do you need a resonator to get that unique banjo sound?

Mainland Banjolele?! Is this true?!

Waverly Street makes a lot of banjoleles. Shouldn't be hard to do a search and find peoples opinion on them. I have one myself and while I consider it a specialty item which I don't play every day I do like to drag it out and play it from time to time.

I wouldn't bother with the resonator on a banjo uke. Yes, it projects the sound more, but it adds a lot of weight and there is ALREADY so much sound.
Plus, without the resonator, you can vary the sound by the angle you hold the uke to your body.
I wouldn't buy that cumbus thing as a uke - not with metal strings.
Banjo uke sounds banjoey, but not quite the same as a tenor or 5-string banjo..

The resonator ukulele is a different sound, not as banjoey. Closer to a regular uke sound, with some metallic twang.

After trying several different factories over the past year, I think I'm finally getting closer to being able to offer a Mainland Banjo-uke that I approve of. Keep your fingers crossed. I hope to have them out for the UWC.

After trying several different factories over the past year, I think I'm finally getting closer to being able to offer a Mainland Banjo-uke that I approve of. Keep your fingers crossed. I hope to have them out for the UWC.

I don't know if I can wait that long. I have a pocket full of extra $$$ and all that NAMM coverage makes me want to acquire something soon. I hope you do have good luck finding a factory.

Consider an older model too. I just happened on a 1930's 6 inch Gibson last year and absolutely love it. It's loud like the eight inch but if you like a soprano uke, it's small like one. They are quite the attention getter, also. heres a pic.

I also have an older banjo ukulele - an Avalon. It is perfect for bluegrass and George Fornby style music. It is a lot nicer on my fingers than a banjo, and even though it is loud for a ukulele, it is very quiet for a banjo. They are fun to play.

Thanks guys! Looks like the Goldtone has a regular (no resonator) and deluxe (with a resonator). Any suggestions there? I'm not very familiar on how the resonator changes the sound. Do you need a resonator to get that unique banjo sound?

Mainland Banjolele?! Is this true?!

that unique banjo sound came before resonators, it's a matter of the strings and the head. Resonators add fullness and bottom end. One of my favorite banjo sounds was the old Vega open back (Tubaphone), but I graduated to resonators and wouldn't go back. Hint, get the resonator model, and if you want to play it open-back, just unscrew a couple of bolts and take it off temporarily.

My experience with banjos is with regular banjos, not banjoleles, so consider that. I do have my eye on that Gold Tone deluxe.

I have a gold tone banjolele without the resonator. For me, it's actually too loud. If I was playing on a street corner it would be cool but for a closed in living room it's too much.

That Mr. B is great, I love it! I've been after a banjo-ukulele for ages... since before I had a uke even infact! Always wanted a resonator model, proper George Formby stuff, but are open backs better then? I found this nice looking Ozark model for what seems a reasonable price? Seems to say SRP: £105.00, our price: £149.99 which is a bit odd but still, seems a good price!?

http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/details1.asp/ProductID/6372/sid/281/Ozark-2035-Ukulele-Banjo.htm

Where can I learn to play like that, like Mr. B?

Top Bottom