How do i attach a neck to a cigar box uke?

theukuleleman

Reaction score
so ive got a neck and cigar box and all of the other pieces to build my cigar box uke but how to attach the neck to the cigar box can i just use wood glue or what?

Some people use a neck thru body method, where the neck goes all the way through the cigar box. Some people just glue them on. I use Pete Howlett's bolt on neck method. Plus, I use glue. I think Pete does as well. The bolt, in that case, becomes a permanent clamp, with the bonus of added strength and rigidity.

Last edited:
It depends on the construction of the box too. My first CBU, the box just had flat joints with some type of gummy glue that crept as soon as I put it under tension. The action slowly started rising over a few days and the flush seams weren't flush anymore. Not only did I do what Harry R suggested, but I also added corner blocks using Titebond to reinforce the box so that wouldn't happen anymore. I also reinforced the bridge end of the box as well as that started creeping next.

I used this method too when building my CBU. Just make sure you drill straigth!

I use both wood glue and screws, the screws are really more for alignment than anything else, the glue is usually surprisingly strong, but you can do anything.

I'm actually beginning to think that titebond really is just a regular woodglue, I've checked out the website,and it seems that it is lepage's glue, which boasts 2 ton bonding power, perhaps this stuff is really all the same except branded,

edit: except branded differntly, and priced differntly, andybody care to experiment?

You would have shattered the wood well before 2 tons...

We just glue the neck on with a strong FB angle joint and good German wood glue (or hide glue depending on the box). I mean, we just made a steel string guitar with the same kind of joint and nothin' creekin' there...

I use "hanger bolts" to secure the neck to the body. One end of the hanger bolt is a screw that screws into the neck while the other end has bolt threads for bolting the neck to the body. I use nylon insert locknuts to secure the neck. Hanger bolts can be obtained from Lowes or Home Depot in various sizes.

Top Bottom