Droning C String

TauntonJams

Reaction score
Hey,
this is my very first post here!

I have been playing my Uke now for about 3-4 months, just posted my first vid on youtube!

However... my C string has developed a Drone...

however much i try an tune it it just sounds really... umm.. spongey i guess, when playing a tune, it stands out deeper and flat, even tho i tune it to my keyboard!

Any help with this will be tre thankful!

TauntonJams

Attachments

• P1010040.jpg
    P1010040.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 7
  • P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010042.jpg
    P1010042.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P1010043.jpg
    P1010043.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 7
(i'm horrible at giving advice, but i'm going to try.)

i'm assuming that you're in tune when your C string is openly played. when you press down on any fret, it starts it's droning action? if that is the case, these are the methods of action that i usually take.

i've had a problem with my C string as well forever. sometimes it just happens. one method that i use to alleviate the bleeding from my ears is to find a harmonious in between note. so when you strum a chord and the C string is open, it's barely off key. or the same if you're pressing down on a fret.

the other method i use is...how do i describe this?...
hold the second fret on your C string. it should be a D note. hold that D and use your keyboard to tune that second fret perfectly.

does that kinda make sense? the problem now is that you may have to learn alternative finger positions so that your C string is never played open.

i'm trying hard to make sense of myself, but it's 4am and i haven't gone to sleep yet. if you can't make it out, i can try to elaborate more.

Diezo, i thought thats good advice man.

have you tried to change your strings in general?

when i got my ukulele from hawaii, i played with the stock strings, and realized that it sounds weird, so i changed my strings and sounded SOOOOO much better.

thanks for the advice!

its sounding a little bit better now, might see about some new strings for the lil fella, see if that works,

what strings (cheapish) would you suggest?

Top Bottom