My unbelievable evening ( Pau Hana )

Link

Reaction score
Hello children. This is alot, but worth it if you love Pau Hana.

Tonight I had a gig in Park City with my talented friend Kole (www.kolemusic.com). I've been in bands and played support for local songwriters for about a year now, always on bass and guitar. Well Kole invited me to jam on ukulele. Needless to say I have been looking forward to it.

Well, there were a few things that made it start out as a big disappointment.
1. It was in Park City. I am a normal guy, enjoy a normal life aside from the music thing. PC is among my least favorite places in the world, because it's like a snowy mini-Hollywood. And it's Sundance time, so all the hollywood types are here. The people are the snootiest, most stuck up people I've ever encountered.
2. The gig was at Danny Masterson's lounge called Downstairs. Right on main street. D-bag central.
3. 50 Cent's agent was there talking about buying the place out for sundance. That just really made it sink in that this was going to be miserable for me.
4. You know when you're just NOT feeling it? Well both Kole and I were having one of those nights.

Our gig was basically a disaster. Were it not for her awesome stage presence and excellent songs, it would have been a total bomb. I respect her very much.

Then the band we opened for showed up. I wanted to just get away and go home, but something compelled me to talk to them. One of them and myself really got to talking. I asked what kind of music and he said reggae/r&b, which is right up my alley so I decided to stay. We kept talking and I asked what instrument he played, he said keys and vocals, asked what I played. I said ukulele, guitar bass. He said he played uke too! and he used to play uke in a band. I asked what band..

And he said Pau Hana. I WAS TALKING TO NELA from Pau Hana!!!

Ridiculous.

He wrote Nani, Wake Up My Darling and 2 Years To Eternity, my favorite PH songs. Easily some of my favorite songs ever.

I've met people I nearly idolize.. John Stockton, Karl Malone, Linkin Park when I was a teenager and loved them alot, etc. But didn't really get startstruck. But when I met this guy whos songs I love and respect so much.. lol I practically called him a liar. I could NOT believe him.

His new band puts on the most amazing show, with some of the best music. They are called Mana Poly All Stars. Winners of Reggae Album of the Year at the Hawaii Music awards. They've been right here in Utah under my nose all this time.

This is a funny, funny, funny world.

I even got pulled over on the way home because the cop thought I was drunk. I was just excited.

Last edited:
Best story ever!! I'm so stoked for you.

My favorite parts include "D bag central" and "...the cop thought I was drunk. I was just excited." Awesome story man, congrats!! Now I need to listen to some Pau Hana :D

Way cool Link! I've got to agree Pua Hana is one of my favorites too. Also have to agree 100% about Park City, it's one of my least favorite places on the planet and "DB Central" describes it perfectly

Looks like it turned out to be a great evening. Great story thanks for sharing it with us.

Top Bottom