Help with arpeggios

Anyone got a link to a good site to learn all the apreggis, or preferably a pdf would be better, i can work them out but it will take years!:D

It shouldn't take years, it should only take minutes. Learn your chords and play them one string at a time in any pattern you like. 4 3 2 1 is probably the easiest using thumb 1st 2nd and 3rd fingers.

Um, it's the guitar board ken. so i'm talking about guitar arpeggios . so it isn't just picking out the chord notes in the order they are fretted eg A7 barred at the 5th fret does contain the 1357 notes in the order 157351 but to arpeggio it i would do play 1357 in that order so the A (5F/6S ) C sharp (4F/5s) E (7F/4S) G (5F/3S) and so on..... repeating it three times within the one cage over the six strings, see what i mean? I can do major minor and some 7ths and as i said i can work out the rest given time but a nice chart to print would be well handy. There is also the issue of which system to use, caged, 3 note per string or horizontal, all giving different patterns.

Didn't realise it was guitar arpeggios, but the principle is still the same. 6 strings make it a little more tricky and increase the number of permutations considerably. There are, of course, a huge number of permutations per chord/per bar. However, only a few work really well. Working them out for yourself will enable you ultimately to play more intuitively.

grammy, do you read music at all? There are tons of studies (AKA etudes or estudios) written by the likes of Sor, Giuliani, Carulli, Carcassi, Diabelli, Aguado, Coste, etc. that focus on arpeggios. They are a great way to learn chords and picking patterns, and some are quite interesting musically. Way more fun than playing scales. :)

I think maybe this is more of a technique question? It's easiest to play arpeggios when you use your thumb, index, middle and ring fingers. The thumb should only ever strike the low E, A and D strings. The index should only strike the G, the middle the B, and the ring the high E.

This technique is used in almost all classical and flamenco guitar playing. I learned it in slack key. I suggest watching some flameco or classical guitar videos. Youtube is filled with them. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Um, nope my technique is fine , i just can't be arsed working through a whole bucket full of chord tone variations to work out. i just want i nice easy bit of paper i can put on my wall.

Sorry, this is not really correct.

Well, sort of. Properly trained classical guitarists live by that method. As a blues/ragtime fingerstyle guitarist, I only use thumb- index-middle. Works great for me. Bottom line is, what ever is working for you and sounding good IS good!

Nice to see you at NAMM, Ken.

no, classically trained guitarists do not live by that method. it is a basic starting point to encourage finger independence and inclusion for beginners to get them picking but it soon gets a lot more complex. for example using a rasgueado or a tremolo.

still no help on the arpeggios, sigh,

Last edited:
Top Bottom