Uke suggestions (requires concert)

casarole45

Reaction score
Okay so my Kala Acacia Tenor went back to dealer today, I'm not sure if its going for repair or refund yet. If it goes for refund though I need some suggestions for a new uke. It opened my eyes to what I do and do not like in a uke, so the next one will be:
1) Concert size (14 frets too the neck and more upto the soundhole preferably). no electrics, straight acoustic
2) Bright sounding.
3) Good quality make (Although obviously sound comes first, I appreciate the craftmanship that goes into an instrument, so its gotta be well made and look nice and not be laminate).
4) Its for fingerpicking whether that changes a suggestion you would give.
5) Budget, no more than £300 (489.957 USD), (and preferably be able to get it from the uk to save on the shipping and tax, ohana, kala and other major makes are pretty easy to get in the uk)
Critical suggestions would be really useful, thanks loads fellow ukers :D

Last edited:
Okay so my Kala Acacia Tenor went back to dealer today, I'm not sure if its going for repair or refund yet. If it goes for refund though I need some suggestions for a new uke. It opened my eyes to what I do and do not like in a uke, so the next one will be:
1) Concert size (14 frets too the neck and more upto the soundhole preferably).
2) Bright sounding.
3) Good quality make (Although obviously sound comes first, I appreciate the craftmanship that goes into an instrument, so its gotta be well made and look nice).
4) Its for fingerpicking whether that changes a suggestion you would give.

Critical suggestions would be really useful, fellthanks loads ow ukers :D
What is your budget?

Thanks man, yeah I'm finding mainland ukes very intre.. intri.... intreging (however you spell it =D)

Think I've narrowed it down to...
Ohana CK50G
Ohana CK35G
Mainland classic mahogany concert with slotted headstock
Mainland red ceder concert

unless anyone else has any suggestions....

Anyone have any info views on the above?

Last edited:
Within your budget I'd probably recommend a Mainland mahogany concert. The only drawback is that its nut-width is 1/3/8", which is not ideal for finger-picking (I like 1.5" nut-width). But then again, almost all non-custom concert ukes have that nut-width.

Thanks man, yeah I'm finding mainland ukes very intre.. intri.... intreging (however you spell it =D)

Think I've narrowed it down to...
Ohana CK50G
Ohana CK35G
Mainland classic mahogany concert with slotted headstock
Mainland red ceder concert

unless anyone else has any suggestions....

Anyone have any info views on the above?
Ohana's are great. My concert is a mahogany Ohana. My tenor is a Mahogany Mainland. I like the Mainland better only because of the size. The sound is a bit different. I haven't decided on that part, yet.

nice one, I've made up my mind, I'm going for the 'Mainland Concert Mahogany' (but not slotted headstock, I think I actually prefer the look without)

and then I'm going to get the 'Ohana CK-50G' I may even get that as a tenor if I start to feel I want something bigger.

I think they are the best sounding and looking models for my taste from the vids I''ve heard and the pictures I've seen.

Then I think I'll have to say goodby to Ukubaby (my sk-35g) as I don't think she'll get much playing anymore... It was a great ride Ukubaby :love:

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. x

ohana tenor.jpgmainland concert.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom