Step-Up from a Mainland?

Paul December

Reaction score
I have a Mainland mahogany concert, that plays beautifully & in all honesty is already much better than my playing deserves....
...but....
UAS is calling! :eek:

What would be a noticeable step-up from it? I hope to get some suggestions that don't cost double the Mainland (law of diminishing returns :( )

Last edited:
Plan on spending at least $600 dollars. Not joking here or trying to be dismissive in any way. Or at a lower pricepoint Mele.

Frankly, my preference is this at this point: for less expensive, have quite a few quality laminates or not-all woods and play them well. Often in the end, these are the ones people love the best and play the most till they think their way to something "better." For solid wood, spend the bucks on 1 or maybe 2. In the end, you will spend more on the several "good" offerings when you add things up. The reply to this is, not necessarily from yourself:"I love my whatever BUT..." and then the happy ref. UAS. But out of respect for your question I think you are asking something different?

This is talking of course from a perspective of a defined sense of distinctiveness (handmade) vs. having 3-4 $200 ukes...which later serve as the starting point for wanting "the next level."

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of my Honu

Another Recipe

Plan on spending at least $600 dollars. Not joking here or trying to be dismissive in any way. Or at a lower pricepoint Mele.

Frankly, my preference is this at this point: for less expensive, have quite a few quality laminates or not-all woods and play them well. Often in the end, these are the ones people love the best and play the most till they think their way to something "better." For solid wood, spend the bucks on 1 or maybe 2. In the end, you will spend more on the several "good" offerings when you add things up. The reply to this is, not necessarily from yourself:"I love my whatever BUT..." and then the happy ref. UAS. But out of respect for your question I think you are asking something different?

This is talking of course from a perspective of a defined sense of distinctiveness (handmade) vs. having 3-4 $200 ukes...which later serve as the starting point for wanting "the next level."

That's a good thought.

But here's another POV.

Sometimes it isn't much more cost to have an all solid wood that plays well than a laminate that plays well. For example, the Ohana Bell is a lovely uke, and well under 200 clams. Not much more than a nice laminate. Maybe $30 to $50 bucks. My SK21, $125; my PK 25--well, okay, that was $189, which is getting close to $200. Same with the Mainland.

So, this is my this trinity of uke buying:

Novelties: I play the heck out of them. My Dolphin(s) and Watermelon get a great deal of use.

Mid Range Ukes: Those just under $200 ones. I love them and play them everyday as well.

The Big Guns: Don't have one, only dream, and may never even buy one. But probably will, someday. In the meantime, I'm having a great time doing it this way.

Part of the fun of this for me is trying different instruments, seeing what they can do (or what I can do with them), and trading or purchasing another. I like it. It's fun.

I have art collector friends who do the same. They have a "closed" collection of 20 prints. If they want another, they have to sell to make room. Nothing wrong with that.

And yes, I could have had a Kamaka for the same price of all the ukes to date. But I'm not ready for a Kamaka.
Maybe later!:D

But back to the OP poster's question: I agree that a Mele might be a good choice. John knows about them. I've had my eye on their KOA soprano at $299. I don't have a Koa and I'm intrigued by the new design.

Last edited:
Mainlands are pretty nice. To get a "step up" I would suggest you get to play the next purchase in-person. I have to say, to get that really nice upper-level sound is a tricky thing. Not all higher end ukuleles have what it takes to put it in that special class. So, don't depend entirely on reputation or looks. I remember when I had recently bought my first ukulele, and was ready to lay out a good chuck of cash for the next one. I went into the music store and tried out several $500- $600 hawaiian made brands. I was ready to buy, but none of the ones they had in the store seemed like they were a big enough improvement to warrant nearly double the cost of my first uke. I had expected the $500- $600 range to knock my socks off. But, the selection at that store didn't satisfy my goal, and I was able to walk away without a purchase. I eventually saved my money, and went for a higher end uke, and tried it in person before buying. Before you get that top-end uke, make sure you know what size suits you best. I have read many "for sale" listings that are trying to turn over a great uke in the wrong size. That tends to be a money losing activity. It is better to try out the nice Kalas, Ohanas and Mainlands to see what woods and size you prefer. Then you will know what you want when you see/ hear it.
–Lori

Last edited:
Heh... I was thinking about stepping up TO a Mainland. They look really nice. I also like the way Honus look, but I've only seen photos. I've played some Ohanas that sounded and felt great, but they seem like they're in the same ball-park as Mainlands.

For starters, the really high end stuff starts to shine...in about a year or more of solid playing...maybe more. Try some used higher-end stuff.

Kamaka. Are all the more recent ones "great?" No. That's why some will justifiably prefer their Mele (they've got some that aren't cheap. And there are other high-end companies.

And yes, to justify that price, what "more" are you getting at a certain point?

And the uke itself: I'll talk about the soprano. I have never really heard a "lush" sounding one nor do I want one. Frankly, I think even when people say "great sustain"...I am not looking for the most sustain but more like good (or better) with some depth, dimenisions, colors...is "great sustain" desirable in a soprano. IMO, no. Of course it's all relative. Looking for great sustain, play a 7 year old Martin D-28 not a ukulele.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't say a Flea is a step up from a Mainland.

I agree with you on this one. It's more like a lateral move and then standing on one foot and waving...

The features frankly are what people connect with on the Flea...and volume/projection?

And BTW I'm not looking for "perfect intonation" since it doesn't exist, but hey, I get it.

Heh... I was thinking about stepping up TO a Mainland. They look really nice. I also like the way Honus look, but I've only seen photos. I've played some Ohanas that sounded and felt great, but they seem like they're in the same ball-park as Mainlands.

I can relate, and it's a very nice ballpark.

Personally, I wouldn't say a Flea is a step up from a Mainland.

I thought it looked sharp, it's made of Kao and since the price was about $500 I asusmed it might be good. thanks for the opinion. thats one of the things i love about UU

But the koa Flea is a different animal than the standard Flea, and it does sound better. How it compares to a Mainland, I don't know, but it has the Flea signature sound, only... better, if that makes any sense.

And I had a sound file of me playing crappily so you could judge for yourself, and it's been deleted. I did have a look for you though.

Last edited:
A Flea is probably a step sideways from Mainland. A completely different beast. The koa one might be a step up.

The solid koa Mele and Honu models are a good choice. For the same price as a new one of those, you might be able to find a used Hawaiian K-brand, or even a brand-new Keli'i.

I know it becomes a matter of personal taste. Mine is Pono. That's just me.

without wishing to avoid the question - just my two cents - the mainlands are superb instruments - a step up means moving into very expensive professional quality territory (and I say that without an ounce of dumbing down the Mainlands which I think are just brilliant)

Why not take your $600+ (as thats what you will need) and fuel your UAS with some variety in your collection as I did. I own a flea (agree a sideways step, but a unique instrument, and bombproof and sounds great), but maybe a Eleuke, a couple of fun "beaters".

As in the world of acoustic guitars - I gig mine and play a £500 guitar. Sure, I could buy a £1000 guitar, but would it be twice as nice? I doubt it. I had the same "need" to want to upgrade guitars, but realised my acoustic as actually very very nice, so spent the money I had available on a travel guitar and a parlour guitar for less money, and got two more!

Another school of thought is to save your pennies for something earth-shatteringly awesome...that makes you feel you're not good enough to play, but rewards you with nice sounds as you mess up. That way, you don't end up with 20 ukes that hardly ever get played. Instead you have maybe 1-5 keepers that all get regular playing time.

Top Bottom