Gah - so confused!

redheadedali

Reaction score
Hi there - this is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while. *waves*

I got my first uke for Christmas - the dreaded Mahalo (I know, I know). Based on everybody's advice here, I ordered some Aquila strings for it. Now, I can tell that the strings are much better quality and generally sound better, but it seems like my playing on them sounds worse. I can't get the chords to come out sounding nice and smooth - individual notes keep popping out and twanging discordantly. I'm sure part of it is that I'm trying to transition from strumming with my thumb to strumming with my index finger, but I figured I'd start getting the hang of that eventually, and it's just not happening. Could I have put the new strings on wrong (entirely possible - as I was doing it, I was like, "Wow, this is easier than I thought" - famous last words)? Am I missing some totally easy thing that would make my strumming sound better? Please help!

Frustrated Alison

Hmm.. I suppose it's possible that you put the strings on wrong. If you can take a picture and post it, we'll probably be able to tell.

If it's not your strings, it could be a number of things. How do you feel about posting video of yourself strumming?

I had a problem switching from what i thought to be most comfortable (thumb) to what obviously creates a better sound (index). It took me about a week of practicing to get it so i was comfortable, and it sounded good.

So if thats the reason, i would just recommend practicing.

If you can tell a difference in the gauge of strings, then the Bottom (A) will be thinnest, Top (G) second thinnest, 2nd from the bottom (E) will be 3rd thinnest, And the 3rd from the top (C) will be the thickest.

so if that's not correct then its time to restring lol.

Last thing, having your tuning off even a little bit can make it sound... wrong... so i would suggest using a digital tuner over a pitch pipe or another instrument if your a beginner and tone def like me ;)

KK... really last thing this time. When you first string a Uke, it will fall out of tune faster than you can say Mississippi, and im not over exaggerating lol. Here is a great tutorial vid that will show you how to stretch the strings as well as a few other goodies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaawMj6W1dY it was done by UU's own NukeDoc. (btw i want his Uke, its perdy)

Last edited:
Oh last thing!(really this time)

WELCOME TO Ukulele Underground!

Hello Frustrated Alison, Welcome to UU! Okay, so you changed the strings. Not really a difficult thing, but did you get it tuned right? That was my first hurdle.My uke just didn't sound right until I got it in tune. Next was just learning how to strum without jamming my finger through my uke and almost pulling the strings right back. Here was my solution. I didn't want to hear how bad I was strumming so I muted all the string with my other hand and slowly and lightly began strumming and strumming and strumming and I think you get the point. Practice every chance that you get. I promise that you will get better.

Top Bottom