Newspaper in Ukuleles?

<~/UkeDude\~>

Reaction score
I was watching this vid of Jake playing Noho Pai Pai, and at "2:35" you get a good view of the sound hole of his ukulele, and it looks like their's news paper or something inside of it. . .
I was curious, does this help decrease the amount of feedback or something that the ukulele may produce when amplified?
and if not that, then what is it for?

Here's the link to the video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Ixat-E6bX0

i thought this was a typo when i saw this. cuz it said "newspaper in uke" i thot it meant "uke in newspaper" but then thats already happend so i llooked.:rock:

I thought it was a typo too.

WHAT THE?!!!

What does that do? It looks like he forgot to take it out after shipping.:confused:

Perhaps if he gets bored while he plays - he call pull it out and do the sudoku puzzle in the back!
;)

Sidenote: Those guys he's playing with are hilarious!

pretty sure it's to cutdown the feedback. That video is OLD though. Jake had laser eye surgery and doesn't wear glasses anymore. He had it a couple years ago so if you see videos with him with his glasses you know its old.

The guys he's playing with is the Makaha Sons, Isreal Kamakawiwaole's first band.

Artist Collection, B. B. King Lucille model, a custom-built version of the ES-355, without f-holes (otherwise, B. B. would have to stuff paper in the f-holes to minimize feedback)

Yeah, the holes in a soundboard apparently create feedback, which when used properly :rock::rock::rock:

I thought it was a typo too.

WHAT THE?!!!

What does that do? It looks like he forgot to take it out after shipping.:confused:

Perhaps if he gets bored while he plays - he call pull it out and do the sudoku puzzle in the back!
;)

Sidenote: Those guys he's playing with are hilarious!

haha or on-go-comics ;):nana:

Yeah, the holes in a soundboard apparently create feedback, which when used properly :rock::rock::rock:

Not always with a hollowbody though. With a hollowboy guitar what can happen with some serious volume is that it does nothing but uncontrollable feedbacking. A loud constant unpleasant squealing. Hence the newspaper. (a thing I didn't know anything about...)

Now with a solidbody guitar and a good overdrive... smooth controllable feedback is very yummy.

OMG look at him!! to me he looks extremly different - same ukulele though, how old is he there?

For guitars you can get these flat rubber disks that work as a soundhole plug to kill feedback at higher volumes.

Near as I can tell, they don't make them for ukes. But if you go to a good hardware store you can probably find a stopper for a bathroom sink or tub that would work. I think I'd probably remove the little metal ring though. :rolleyes:

When I played a gig with Th' Legendary Shack Shakers, the doghouse bass player had filled his bass with that spray-in insulation foam (the yellowish stuff -- but he took black paint to the parts that showed through the soundholes). It was essentially a solid body standup bass!

Oh cool now I see lol thanks for answering that question haha.
I wanna put newspaper into my ukulele to lessen the feedback as well, but I have a "Dean Markley Artist Transducer" do you guys think it would work for that type of pickup?

Oh cool now I see lol thanks for answering that question haha.
I wanna put newspaper into my ukulele to lessen the feedback as well, but I have a "Dean Markley Artist Transducer" do you guys think it would work for that type of pickup?

You could try, but those kinds of pickups that mount onto the sound board will be feedback prone. That's just the nature of the beast, especially at high volumes. Feedback busters are supposed to reduce feedback for internal pickups only.

You could also try moving the pickup around to different places on the soundboard. You may find a "sweet spot" on your uke that's less prone to feedback.

Top Bottom