When to change strings

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new ukulele player -- my ukes were new when I got them, and I've only been playing them for a few months. Anyway, I haven't yet had to change the strings, and I was beginning to wonder if there are signs of string wear -- short of the strings actually snapping -- that indicate it's time for new ones. For example, do they become so stretched that they're slack even when they're in tune? Anyway, if you know of any symptoms that it's time to replace the strings, or if you think that strings are fine until they do breakm please let me know. Thanks!

They might start to lose their zing and sound dead or thuddy.
They might stop staying in tune.
Aquilas will start to fray or feel like they have a million little nicks all over them.

If you've ever held a uke with really, really, really old nylon strings on them they feel like they are hardening into plastic. They feel brittle and stiff. When your strings start to lose their elasticity and flexibility you'll know.

in a uke got mail or uke minutes aldrine said he changes his strings every two months but for me i change either when it starts to buzz or when i even have a pack or strings laying around for a while hope this helps if not the modoraters will be here to help lol

kevcamacho

I am very new to the Uku also and have wondered the same question. Something to consider, Strings are so inexpensive that it's worth changing them if you're not sure. Also, since they are inexpensive I have been told it's an easy thing to change to see how it effects the sound of your uku. It's the cheapest change you can make to your Uku that can make the biggest difference.

When they start sounding dull or if you can run your finger down the underside and can feel the indents from the frets you might want to consider changing strings. Also when you want to try a different brand to see how they sound. Experiment.

Which reminds me that I've got a few changes I've been putting off doing.....

Thanks for all the responses!. I think the strings on my new ukes still have life in them. However, I just got a used soprano flea that seems to have slack strings, even though they're in tune. I suppose I might as well change the strings to see what happens.

Top Bottom