PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy Has 'Ukuleles!

Ahnko Honu
01-20-2010, 11:41 PM
My son wanted to stop by Best Buy to look at computer stuff so I took him there along with my and walked around aimlessly while he did his thing. I first see drums. Hmm I wonder if? And there hung 2 guitars an acoustic, and an electric, both Fenders. I thought no way they'd stock... and as I turned the corner into the next aisle and the heavens opened up and lit that aisle in a divine glow, and I heard an angelic chorus as I stood there looking at a whole aisle of 'ukuleles hanging there right before my eyes. Actually no heavenly chorus or lights besides the ceiling lights but there were a dozen 'ukuleles hanging in that aisle Ponos, and KoAlohas. The Ponos had no identifications but from the looks they were Ohai, and Mango sopranos, a Mahogany/Spruce concert, and a Ohai tenor. there were a couple more but I don't remember. The price on the soprano Ohai was $199.00 including a gig bag which I thought was very fair. The Spruce/Mahogany Concert was $239.00 with gig bag. Don't recall the price in the others. The build quality of the Ponos were excellent but especially the Ohai soprano sounded muted and soft not punchy like a soprano should in my opinion, nice but not my cup of tea. The KoAlohas never fail to amaze me, the resonance and sustain was amazing. They also felt half the weight of the Pono Ohai. I let both my son, and wife compare the difference in weight, and sound quality and they too were thoroughly impressed. The KoAloha soprano I believe was $449 including a hard case which was worth every penny and then some. They had a concert and a tenor too. Does your local Best Buy carry 'ukuleles? Doesn't Best Buy have a lowest price guarantee? Just thought I'd share my findings on a otherwise mundane day with you all.

UKISOCIETY
01-21-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm betting that the BB in Louisville won't have them... :(

Ahnko Honu
01-21-2010, 12:12 AM
I just checked the Best Buy website, had only several cheap Oscar Schmidts, and a Cordoba listed. No Pono or KoAloha listed even to special order... bummerz.

Sambient
01-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Maybe they're experimenting at that one location, seeing if there's an interest and potential sales to be made.
In this lies one of those tough calls. While it's great to support individual businesses, I'd encourage folks who are local to that Best Buy to purchase these items at the big box store like this just to prove to them that there's interest.
Especially if prices are good.
Eh. Who am I kidding.

FourChordWonder
01-21-2010, 02:07 AM
It's probably just a Hawaii thing. Even the Oscar Schmidt's and Cordoba are listed as online only. But I remember someone before saying their local best buy had some low end ukes, and I know Best Buy has been testing mini in-store music shops in certain markets. It seems odd that Best Buy would carry KoAloha. Usually the people buying a ukulele of that level aren't shopping for it at Best Buy. I would expect to see guitar brand ukes like Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, and maybe even fender, but not high end stuff like KoAloha.

MartinLil
01-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Were they KoAlohas or KoAloha's import KoAlanas?

RevWill
01-21-2010, 02:57 AM
I imagine that KoAloha 'ukuleles are only available at Best Buy in Hawaii.

There were a couple of Cordobas at Best Buy in Fairview Heights, Illinois the last time I went.

Sic_Rob
01-21-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm guessing they won't be bring that line to the BB in Paramus Nj all to soon.

rogue_wave
01-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Good to see the spread, even if it is likely only at the Hawai'i location.

Until BestBuyUker signs up here though, I think I'll stick with Mike!

Skitzic
01-21-2010, 03:55 AM
I went to one of the Best Buy locations with a music section (there are 2, but the one is only an hour away...the other is 2.5) and there were no ukes. Lots of guitars though.

leftovermagic84
01-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Were they KoAlohas or KoAloha's import KoAlanas?

for 400+ bucks that's gotta be the real deal. Koalanas run about half that.

bbycrts
01-21-2010, 04:39 AM
My local Best Buy has a musical instrument shop inside. The only ukes I've ever seen there have been Cordobas.

Harold O.
01-21-2010, 05:26 AM
My local Best Buy has one Cordoba uke. Sharpest frets ever. It's been there for about a year. At least they are making some sort of effort.

Our Guitar Center has two ukes behind the glass (Lanikai). The Sam Ash in Canoga Park has Martin, Fender, Cordoba, Oscar Schmidt, and a couple of Kalas -- mostly added in the last few months.

kenikas
01-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Oh to be back home in Hawai'i! Up here in the high desert we have to look hard to find ukes in music stores.

Lori
01-21-2010, 06:35 AM
The West Los Angeles Best Buy has a pretty large music department. Several Oscar Schmidt Ukes, perhaps a Cordoba, some travel guitars... no KoAlohas.
But I went into an independent Music Store in Westwood, and saw a small display of Kalas and Sunlite ukuleles. They were placed right by the front door!

If only they had the KoAlohas at one of our Best Buy stores! We got a $50 gift card for Christmas for that store!!

–Lori

JKoval
01-21-2010, 06:46 AM
I'm guessing they won't be bring that line to the BB in Paramus Nj all to soon.

There's some (I'm not sure which / how good they are) at the Princeton location!

Sic_Rob
01-21-2010, 06:58 AM
There's some (I'm not sure which / how good they are) at the Princeton location!

REALLY?! I jersey shop has Uku's?

PeformanceUke
01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
My son wanted to stop by Best Buy to look at computer stuff so I took him there along with my and walked around aimlessly while he did his thing. I first see drums. Hmm I wonder if? And there hung 2 guitars an acoustic, and an electric, both Fenders. I thought no way they'd stock... and as I turned the corner into the next aisle and the heavens opened up and lit that aisle in a divine glow, and I heard an angelic chorus as I stood there looking at a whole aisle of 'ukuleles hanging there right before my eyes. Actually no heavenly chorus or lights besides the ceiling lights but there were a dozen 'ukuleles hanging in that aisle Ponos, and KoAlohas. The Ponos had no identifications but from the looks they were Ohai, and Mango sopranos, a Mahogany/Spruce concert, and a Ohai tenor. there were a couple more but I don't remember. The price on the soprano Ohai was $199.00 including a gig bag which I thought was very fair. The Spruce/Mahogany Concert was $239.00 with gig bag. Don't recall the price in the others. The build quality of the Ponos were excellent but especially the Ohai soprano sounded muted and soft not punchy like a soprano should in my opinion, nice but not my cup of tea. The KoAlohas never fail to amaze me, the resonance and sustain was amazing. They also felt half the weight of the Pono Ohai. I let both my son, and wife compare the difference in weight, and sound quality and they too were thoroughly impressed. The KoAloha soprano I believe was $449 including a hard case which was worth every penny and then some. They had a concert and a tenor too. Does your local Best Buy carry 'ukuleles? Doesn't Best Buy have a lowest price guarantee? Just thought I'd share my findings on a otherwise mundane day with you all.

Which loaction the one in town our the near pearlridge?

geoffsuke
01-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Maybe they're experimenting at that one location, seeing if there's an interest and potential sales to be made.
In this lies one of those tough calls. While it's great to support individual businesses, I'd encourage folks who are local to that Best Buy to purchase these items at the big box store like this just to prove to them that there's interest.
Especially if prices are good.
Eh. Who am I kidding.

so basically, we should go out and buy some ukes from bb so that they stock them !!! sorted!!!

haole
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I guess it's a Hawai'i thing. Pretty neat that they actually carry some good ones, too!

Maybe I'm spoiled by good ukulele dealers, but I'd rather support a store that truly knows ukes, can do basic set-ups, restring the instrument before I buy it, and stock a variety of strings and accessories. Even if Best Buys in Hawai'i have some staff who know a thing or two about the ukulele, aren't there still a bunch of better places to buy one?

Ahnko Honu
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Which loaction the one in town our the near pearlridge?

In Town across Home Depot by pier 36 Alakawa st. I think.

Ahnko Honu
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
When I can afford a KoAloha I'm going to visit Pops Okami and get factory second pineapple. 8-)

rpeters
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Well best buy recently bought out an instrument supplier, and so their stock really depends on what that supplier had for each location.

Kanaka916
01-21-2010, 03:39 PM
REALLY?! I jersey shop has Uku's?
OK and no offense intended to anyone. Being born and raised in the 50th, there are certain words/phrases we take literally. In this case, ukus - which translated means fleas. When someone says they have ukus, I automatically think head lice. You can ask anyone from the 808 and I know they'll agree with me (da oldah folks). To me there is a big difference between Ukus and Ukes.

luvmy3pugs
01-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I have seen 2 Best Buys near me in California with music sections. They both had uke's but they were out of tune and not prominant names. I believe I may have seen as Oscar Schmidt once. They had only 1-2 ukes each time we have been there. My big uke stores are Sam Ash and Morey's music in Long Beach ca.

phanzo
01-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I have a Best Buy here in Tempe, AZ that has a whole music instrument section. Last I checked, they had 4 or 5 ukes. A Mitchell, Oscar Schmidt, Pono, and a Cordoba. Not much of a selection. Cetainly no KoAlohas (oh to live on the islands, what a joy it must be :D). Anyway, I'm sure they will carry more in the upcoming year, but I dont see them selling anything more than a Pono quality uke. The major problem with buying them there isnt the quality of uke, but the quality of set-up. They're right out of the box and onto the shelf, so the couple that I noodled around on sounded like a bag of garbage. Until they can have someone set them up properly, in store, they have no chance of selling to any "serious" uke player. That's probably not their target market anyway. Probably going for the impulse buy and the parents who think their son or dauighter would like one. Great to see the uke-love spreading, just hope the retailers step their game up!

experimentjon
01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh that's interesting. Next time I'm over there in Iwilei, I guess I'll go take a look at their selection. Unfortunately, I probably won't buy it from BB, since I'd rather support Easy Music, Dans, or KoAloha themselves.

koalohapaul
01-21-2010, 06:00 PM
My brother has been working with the BestBuy people for a while. A selection of their staff came on the tour yesterday, to learn about the ukulele. Great people, from the higher ups, to the people on the floor. A few came back today, for a free lesson with Brian. I believe they're doing a pilot with the Hawaii stores. If the high end ukulele are successful, they may add them to more locations.

hawaiianmusiclover06
01-21-2010, 06:37 PM
My brother has been working with the BestBuy people for a while. A selection of their staff came on the tour yesterday, to learn about the ukulele. Great people, from the higher ups, to the people on the floor. A few came back today, for a free lesson with Brian. I believe they're doing a pilot with the Hawaii stores. If the high end ukulele are successful, they may add them to more locations.

That is so interesting that Best Buy is selling ukuleles. I just went to KoAloha yesterday morning to purchase a new uke.

pdxuke
01-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Well, get them here to Portland, Oregon! I'd love to play one (but then of course I'll fall in love with it and...):drool:

hawaiianmusiclover06
01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
OK and no offense intended to anyone. Being born and raised in the 50th, there are certain words/phrases we take literally. In this case, ukus - which translated means fleas. When someone says they have ukus, I automatically think head lice. You can ask anyone from the 808 and I know they'll agree with me (da oldah folks). To me there is a big difference between Ukus and Ukes.

I have to agree with you Kanaka. There is a big difference between Ukus, which means fleas/head lice, and Ukulele which means Jumping flea

NotoriousMOK
01-21-2010, 07:26 PM
No way, not me -- while it may be inspiring to some to see an ukulele selection and the local big box, I'd rather spend more to buy one from Local Joe's Gas Station & Buffalo Wing Hut where my neighbor Joe will shake my hand and thank me for the business. Whenever possible, I keep my money local and in the hands of the small business owner - it's just how I'm built.

weegee
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
My local bb about ten minutes away has an instrument sections. They had more ukes but last I checked all were bought except a cordoba concert...

Ukuleleblues
01-22-2010, 11:14 AM
I live in SC. Our BB only has washtubs and shotguns next to one broken Fender strat done with a rebel flag design. I asked about the ukuleles and it got real quiet and everyone turned around and stared at me. Then the salesman said "You ain't from around here is you".

Tigeralum2001
01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
I live in SC. Our BB only has washtubs and shotguns next to one broken Fender strat done with a rebel flag design. I asked about the ukuleles and it got real quiet and everyone turned around and stared at me. Then the salesman said "You ain't from around here is you".
Now I know you're lying. He really said "You ain't from 'round here is ya?" ;) Seriously, I wish our Best Buys, or bestbuy.com would sell KoAlohas! I need something to spend all these gift cards on. Ever since Circuit City & CompUSA went under, Best Buy has really stunk.