Best Buy Has 'Ukuleles!

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
My son wanted to stop by Best Buy to look at computer stuff so I took him there along with my and walked around aimlessly while he did his thing. I first see drums. Hmm I wonder if? And there hung 2 guitars an acoustic, and an electric, both Fenders. I thought no way they'd stock... and as I turned the corner into the next aisle and the heavens opened up and lit that aisle in a divine glow, and I heard an angelic chorus as I stood there looking at a whole aisle of 'ukuleles hanging there right before my eyes. Actually no heavenly chorus or lights besides the ceiling lights but there were a dozen 'ukuleles hanging in that aisle Ponos, and KoAlohas. The Ponos had no identifications but from the looks they were Ohai, and Mango sopranos, a Mahogany/Spruce concert, and a Ohai tenor. there were a couple more but I don't remember. The price on the soprano Ohai was $199.00 including a gig bag which I thought was very fair. The Spruce/Mahogany Concert was $239.00 with gig bag. Don't recall the price in the others. The build quality of the Ponos were excellent but especially the Ohai soprano sounded muted and soft not punchy like a soprano should in my opinion, nice but not my cup of tea. The KoAlohas never fail to amaze me, the resonance and sustain was amazing. They also felt half the weight of the Pono Ohai. I let both my son, and wife compare the difference in weight, and sound quality and they too were thoroughly impressed. The KoAloha soprano I believe was $449 including a hard case which was worth every penny and then some. They had a concert and a tenor too. Does your local Best Buy carry 'ukuleles? Doesn't Best Buy have a lowest price guarantee? Just thought I'd share my findings on a otherwise mundane day with you all.

I just checked the Best Buy website, had only several cheap Oscar Schmidts, and a Cordoba listed. No Pono or KoAloha listed even to special order... bummerz.

Maybe they're experimenting at that one location, seeing if there's an interest and potential sales to be made.
In this lies one of those tough calls. While it's great to support individual businesses, I'd encourage folks who are local to that Best Buy to purchase these items at the big box store like this just to prove to them that there's interest.
Especially if prices are good.
Eh. Who am I kidding.

It's probably just a Hawaii thing. Even the Oscar Schmidt's and Cordoba are listed as online only. But I remember someone before saying their local best buy had some low end ukes, and I know Best Buy has been testing mini in-store music shops in certain markets. It seems odd that Best Buy would carry KoAloha. Usually the people buying a ukulele of that level aren't shopping for it at Best Buy. I would expect to see guitar brand ukes like Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, and maybe even fender, but not high end stuff like KoAloha.

I imagine that KoAloha 'ukuleles are only available at Best Buy in Hawaii.

There were a couple of Cordobas at Best Buy in Fairview Heights, Illinois the last time I went.

I'm guessing they won't be bring that line to the BB in Paramus Nj all to soon.

Good to see the spread, even if it is likely only at the Hawai'i location.

Until BestBuyUker signs up here though, I think I'll stick with Mike!

I went to one of the Best Buy locations with a music section (there are 2, but the one is only an hour away...the other is 2.5) and there were no ukes. Lots of guitars though.

My local Best Buy has a musical instrument shop inside. The only ukes I've ever seen there have been Cordobas.

My local Best Buy has one Cordoba uke. Sharpest frets ever. It's been there for about a year. At least they are making some sort of effort.

Our Guitar Center has two ukes behind the glass (Lanikai). The Sam Ash in Canoga Park has Martin, Fender, Cordoba, Oscar Schmidt, and a couple of Kalas -- mostly added in the last few months.

Oh to be back home in Hawai'i! Up here in the high desert we have to look hard to find ukes in music stores.

The West Los Angeles Best Buy has a pretty large music department. Several Oscar Schmidt Ukes, perhaps a Cordoba, some travel guitars... no KoAlohas.
But I went into an independent Music Store in Westwood, and saw a small display of Kalas and Sunlite ukuleles. They were placed right by the front door!

If only they had the KoAlohas at one of our Best Buy stores! We got a $50 gift card for Christmas for that store!!

–Lori

My son wanted to stop by Best Buy to look at computer stuff so I took him there along with my and walked around aimlessly while he did his thing. I first see drums. Hmm I wonder if? And there hung 2 guitars an acoustic, and an electric, both Fenders. I thought no way they'd stock... and as I turned the corner into the next aisle and the heavens opened up and lit that aisle in a divine glow, and I heard an angelic chorus as I stood there looking at a whole aisle of 'ukuleles hanging there right before my eyes. Actually no heavenly chorus or lights besides the ceiling lights but there were a dozen 'ukuleles hanging in that aisle Ponos, and KoAlohas. The Ponos had no identifications but from the looks they were Ohai, and Mango sopranos, a Mahogany/Spruce concert, and a Ohai tenor. there were a couple more but I don't remember. The price on the soprano Ohai was $199.00 including a gig bag which I thought was very fair. The Spruce/Mahogany Concert was $239.00 with gig bag. Don't recall the price in the others. The build quality of the Ponos were excellent but especially the Ohai soprano sounded muted and soft not punchy like a soprano should in my opinion, nice but not my cup of tea. The KoAlohas never fail to amaze me, the resonance and sustain was amazing. They also felt half the weight of the Pono Ohai. I let both my son, and wife compare the difference in weight, and sound quality and they too were thoroughly impressed. The KoAloha soprano I believe was $449 including a hard case which was worth every penny and then some. They had a concert and a tenor too. Does your local Best Buy carry 'ukuleles? Doesn't Best Buy have a lowest price guarantee? Just thought I'd share my findings on a otherwise mundane day with you all.

Which loaction the one in town our the near pearlridge?

Maybe they're experimenting at that one location, seeing if there's an interest and potential sales to be made.
In this lies one of those tough calls. While it's great to support individual businesses, I'd encourage folks who are local to that Best Buy to purchase these items at the big box store like this just to prove to them that there's interest.
Especially if prices are good.
Eh. Who am I kidding.

so basically, we should go out and buy some ukes from bb so that they stock them !!! sorted!!!

I guess it's a Hawai'i thing. Pretty neat that they actually carry some good ones, too!

Maybe I'm spoiled by good ukulele dealers, but I'd rather support a store that truly knows ukes, can do basic set-ups, restring the instrument before I buy it, and stock a variety of strings and accessories. Even if Best Buys in Hawai'i have some staff who know a thing or two about the ukulele, aren't there still a bunch of better places to buy one?

Top Bottom