PDA

View Full Version : Electric set up

eyeball
01-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone know of a good electric uke or how best to set up an acoustic with a pick up (that doesn't involve drilling holes etc.)

I really fancy trying to get a bit of distortion going for some of the rockier songs that I play but I haven't got a clue how to get started so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TreF
01-21-2010, 08:10 PM
There is a pickup that gets put on the outside of the wood. It picks ups the vibrations and turns them into sound. Here is a link to a vid Aldrine did, he plays a bit with it and it sounds great IMO. Great choice if you dont want to drill.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/ukeunderground/videos/3/22.666/

eyeball
01-25-2010, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the info TreF, managed to get hold of a stick on pickup for twenty quid (bargain IMHO) this weekend but frustratingly haven't had chance to try it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a go tonight. Next stop, distortion pedal!!

KoPa
01-25-2010, 06:44 AM
eh bro. There are many ukes you can get with a pickup already built in. Most of mine you can plug in. But it sounds for what you want you may wunna look at a Applause UAE-148. Its a larger mainly electic uke that had controls. It kinda needs a strap. i luv it tho. i have a black on that i use for reggae only stuff.
hope this b helpful!
Kopa

TreF
01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Update us with a vid eyeball! I'd love to hear it in action

eyeball
02-03-2010, 02:37 AM
OK, so here's the latest. The stick on pick up is ok although it's prone to falling off at inopportune moments so I splashed out on a classical strap that I can thread the lead through therefore taking the weight off the pickup and letting it stick onto the uke a lot better. While I was buying the strap I thought what the heck and got myself a Boss distortion peddle as well :)

So, after playing about for a while I can get a pretty good rock sound going on although feedback is a problem at the moment so I'm trying to find something that will block the sound hole easily, I believe that the top of a gravy carton works pretty well!! (any suggestions gratefully received!)

I'm going to try to sort out a vid to post if I can, a) get the time together to get all the equipment set up! and b) not embarrass myself with my playing!

CulpRJ
02-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Something you might try to combat the feedback is to fill the body of the uke with socks or washcloths or a t-shirt. That will reduce the vibration, but no so much that the pick-up won't, well, "pick up." It'll sound kind of dead acoustic, but you can turn up the overdrive a little higher and rock on.