Ever Return a Uke?

Paul December

Reaction score
Ever return a uke not because of a problem, but because you didn't like it?
I see some of the sellers list return are possible.
I've always thought that if I got a uke I didn't like I'd have to dump it on the sales forum at a considerable loss.
It feels like a gamble ordering an instrument you've never heard in person (or just from youtube)...
...and like the ability to return it in a worst-case-scenario, even if I have to cover the return shipping would be nice.

So, anyone ever do this? Was the seller cool about it?

not me, but several people returned their Pono Ohai models after a quick audition. I kept mine, though!

I've only sent sceptres back to KoAloha for replacement. I have, however, returned many guitars. As a Martin fan and player I tried three HPL travel guitars. Each was horrible sounding (I found out that I can't stand the HPL sound) and the quality control was horrible. So, with all three I opened the box, inspected, listened, packed it back up, and shipped it back that same day. I just put the return label on and away it went. I got the money back on my card and that was it. Very simple. This was with Musician's friend. I've also returned a higher end classical that I bought from them. It arrived cracked. I sent that one back the same day, too. I've never had any trouble whatsoever.

Lil

Funny this is up here now.

I just recieved this message from a customer

"I would like to take you up on your returns policy. Sorry to be writing this as I can tell how much work has gone into the uke and the potential for this instrument in some else's hands. There is nothing wrong with the uke, it looks fantastic and plays really well it just doesn't suit my playing. I guess instruments are like clothing - something can look great on someone else but if it doesn't suit you it wont look good on you! Thats about the best I can explain it; as much as I like the uke, it just doesn't suit me."

What do you do. Make someone keep something they dont like. Of course not. You take it back.

This is the first time I have heard anythig but great things about my instruments, and it really surprises me, but that is life.

Take care,
Thomas

I bought a Mainland Mattefinish. When I ordered it I only had 1 uku. A matte finish Lanikai. Then I ordered the Mainland. What I didn't know is a buddy had sent me a Matte finish Makala. I desided I only needed 2 mstte finished. I called Mike at Mainland and asked him if I could return my Uku. He never even asked me why I wanted to return it. It's in the mail right noe.

Buying inbounds of the EU via internet gives you the right to return the product within two weeks without an explanatory statement. It is very convenient, but I never took advantage of it.

I bought a Mainland Mattefinish. When I ordered it I only had 1 uku. A matte finish Lanikai. Then I ordered the Mainland. What I didn't know is a buddy had sent me a Matte finish Makala. I desided I only needed 2 mstte finished. I called Mike at Mainland and asked him if I could return my Uku. He never even asked me why I wanted to return it. It's in the mail right noe.
You returned a Mainland in favor of a Makala???

Got a Tangi Manini from MGM that I returned b/c when I got it, I noticed cracks in the top under the bridge, but other than that I've had no problems

You returned a Mainland in favor of a Makala???

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! and let me say NO! I did not return the Mainland because I received the Makala. I am switching the Mainland Matte for a glossy. I may be silly sometimes but I''m not NUTZ

I just received and sent back a Lanikai NK-C Custom Series Koa Concert Ukulele. It had a solid Koa top and laminated sides. I was really excited to get it. I am sure it is a good Concert but what I didn't like about it was that It was too Quiet. I have had probably a couple dozen of sopranos, concerts, and tenors over the years and this is the first one, that when I strummed it, I could barely hear it. I have a couple little cheapo Sopranos that blew it away with their bigger sound. I might have been able to correct some of it with different strings, but it did come with Aquilas, so that should have been more than adequate. Second thing I didn't like on the NK-C was that it is too glossy and too much bling for me. I prefer the more subdued satin look. Call me crazy. As I have had many Lanikais in the past and I like their overall workmanship and sound but for some reason this one was so silent you couldn't hear it....... Weird!

Funny this is up here now.

I just recieved this message from a customer

What do you do. Make someone keep something they dont like. Of course not. You take it back.

This is the first time I have heard anythig but great things about my instruments, and it really surprises me, but that is life.

Take care,
Thomas

I doubt the uke is anything but great. Sounds like a personal taste issue with the customer, and, as we know, there's no accounting for such things.

Slip

I returned a kala thinbody soprano to MGM without any hassle, just changed my mind upon seeing it. Had purchased from MGM prior to that one and will probably buy from him again. Was also surprised how little it cost to ship back to Hawaii from NC ($13.40, including delivery confirmation).

Top Bottom