Collywolly, Cairns, Australia "Lost Chord".

collywolly

Reaction score
As a newcomer to "ALL-THINGS-UKE", I have been blown away by Bruddah Iz's 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' youtube clips.
But to the basic chords given us mere mortals, I have a problem with the progression in the 'Some day I'll wish upon a star bit'.........the G following 'Where trouble melts like lemon drops' into 'High above the chimney tops' doesn't sound right, but I can't find any better chord in trawling through the internet. What I'm looking for can be demonstrated by plucking F# on the E string (second fret) followed by open A at the point we are told to play a G chord. Then the Am will also need to be altered. Is this laboured or does it make sense. Can anyone suggest a more 'fulfilling' alternative?

:confused:

Last edited:
What method are you currently using? Just a straight down up strum? Have you got a link to the source of the chords you're using? There have been many suggested techniques including ghost strokes, but the closest I've found is: pluck the C string, then strum down up, down up. Change chord and repeat. Adjust to suit where required.

The main problem is that Iz was using a low-G uke, and ukes are typically strung high-G. Newbie players pick up a high-G uke and scratch their heads when they can't replicate the sound - it's absolutely no fault of their own, they just weren't informed :(

/edit: Here's a tutorial with the ghost strokes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfz-hYsbo_c

Or try a syncopated strum such as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26VGnrP_aAQ

Last edited:
I can't speak to the chords, but I feel obligated to tell you this:
I LOVE Cairns. The airport reminds me of a set from "Lost." I hate they are building a new one. The town is great, people are friendly, and of course the Great Barrier Reef. It has one of the greatest signs ever (Coca-Cola Liquor Store).

But the thing that scared the crap out of me were the gigantic fruit bats. Words can not describe just innocently walking down the street, hearing a noise, then looking up to see about 60 HUGE bats in a tree just above my head. My wife still has "the twitch" from that experience.

Anyhow, welcome to the boards & good luck with the search. I'm sure one of the experts here will have your answer!

Yeh, Cairns is pretty awesome. North Queensland as a whole is God's Country. Thanks for friendly reply. I love the camaraderie that exists in UU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom